But very urgent! E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

But very urgent! E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

Post by MarkB »

From Wired News:

E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible By Kim Zetter
Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,64043,00.html

08:40 AM Jun. 30, 2004 PT

E-mail privacy suffered a serious setback on Tuesday when a court of appeals ruled that an e-mail provider did not break the law in reading his customers' communications without their consent.

The First Court of Appeals in Massachusetts ruled that Bradford C. Councilman did not violate criminal wiretap laws when he surreptitiously copied and read the mail of his customers in order to monitor their transactions.

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,64043,00.html

All of us know that e-mail is more like a postcard, but this next step gets scarey!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Seems that it's just not possible to have technology without it being abused.
Reasonable person
Walden
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I don't believe there's anything that is or will ever be private on a computer connected to the internet. No matter how many firewalls, adware detectors, anti-virus programs, ghost alerts you my have, something or someone can and will get through. I still don't store any financial information or pay any bills on-line for that reason.
"You have my undivided attention"
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

If you have something to hide, use PGP (it won't stop John Ashcroft but will stop your typical dweeb/pervert/nosey parker).

If you don't have anything to hide, leave it cleartext and increase the "workload" of dweebs who have nothing better to do than read other people's mail! :)

While it's not a surprising ruling, it does seem a bit inconsistent, given that it's a federal offense to use a scanner to eavesdrop on wireless telephone conversations...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The next thing you know some one will read my posts!:lol:

By the way PGP has a very capable clone called GnuPG http://www.gnupg.org/. It is multi platform and GPL. So if you don't trust PGP try this.

And remember that it is a weapon and therefore not exportable from the United States. So get it from a mirror outside the US if you do not live there.

Re: OT: But very urgent! E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

Post by fearfaoin »

MarkB wrote:The First Court of Appeals in Massachusetts ruled that Bradford C. Councilman did not violate criminal wiretap laws...
Is it me, or does "Bradford C. Councilman" seem like a fake name? Like "Nautius Maximus"... :roll:
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Under the Homeland Security Act the gov may data mine our e-mail for keywords without a warrant. It's probably not a good idea to even mention terrorism in e-mail, lest you get thrown in the pokey with no charge and no lawyer.
WistleEnvy

Post by WistleEnvy »

Anybody else notice the banner ads at the top of this thread ^^^^

:lol:

Priceless

Edit: They rotated.....They were all anout Privacy and PGP and such :)

Colin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Notice that this is a very "technical" interpretation, based on the letter of the law.

It's up to the government to change the law to keep up with the technology, so if this upsets you, contact your gov't representatives and lobby them to update the laws.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Big brother returns. The best solution is to wear them out. Have fun creating emails with friends that purely silly. Get enough people doing it and there wil be black heliocopters landing and every neighborhood.

Wear out the McCarthys

It may be illegal to joke at airports about things but it not illegal to joke in private email. It would interesting to reveal snooping of private mail this way.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I guess i'm just going to have to start encripting all my emails in .rar files then tell my friends the password to unencript them.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.