Clare two-piece

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clare two-piece

Post by Steve-o »

Does anyone know anything about the clare two piece? I am looking for something that has a good sound but is very portable. Any help would be appreciated.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Portability is excellent. I didn't really like how it played. Tone was iffy and breath control was difficult for a simple D whistle. I ended up putting a Whitecap on mine.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Portability is great - mine is still in my backpack. I like the tone, but the tuning on mine is iffy. So, mine is fine solo but I don't play it in sessions.

It seems like a few of us have these out of tune ones, but more folks reports theirs being very in tune for a cheapie.

Eric
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It wouldn't be my choice for everyday playing, but it IS very portable and pretty durable. Plays like a typical plastic top, brass bodies whistle. I keep mine in the little under-seat pouch on my mountain bike so I always have a whistle with me to rattle off a quick tune if I come across an especially nice playing spot.
Not to toot my own horn (or whistle), but some of the high end two piece whistles are quite portable too. This would include Thin Weasel, Abell, Burke etc. However, if durability is a factor you might not want to take some of these hiking, etc.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Don't forget Greenwood Pipes!!!

My Thin Weasel has a wooden case. I would not hesitate to take it places as long as I could keep it from getting exposed to serious temp changes.

One could also fashion a PVC tube and cap to protect the whistle, one for each part if length was the issue.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Or the Doolin two-piece.

Or Noah Herbison's telescoping Laughing Whistle (I've got one of them on order, but it's had good reviews).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Does anyone know how much the telescoping laughing whistle is? Does anyone have one they are trying to get rid of?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I liked the Clare - it was a bit iffy on the Cnat but doable with unusual fingering.

Doolin is the only whistle I have ever had that I would call unplayable.

The Laughing whistle is gorgeous, sweet & quiet, the Rolls-Royce of travelling whistles.
doze
Tell us something.: I play tin whistles. I registered on this forum eons ago and haven't logged back in since I don't know when.

Clare D Two-Piece

Post by doze »

I have the Clare D two-piece. It has a decent sound (I find it a bit shrill in the upper register). It's obviously very portable, and with all the abuse mine's been through it hasn't been broken yet. The head section slides into a socket in the body section and friction holds it in place; even after prolonged use the joint seems to hold up fine.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Steve-o wrote:Does anyone know how much the telescoping laughing whistle is? Does anyone have one they are trying to get rid of?
I think they're about $70 or so at the moment. I'm always trawling for laughings for sale, and haven't seen any in months.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Martin Milner wrote:I liked the Clare - it was a bit iffy on the Cnat but doable with unusual fingering.
The Laughing whistle is gorgeous, sweet & quiet, the Rolls-Royce of travelling whistles.
Just in case people aren't aware, the laughing does need an alternate cnat fingering. I have found OXXXOX works the best on all the laughings I have tried. OXXOOO tends to only be acceptable for very short, quick notes.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
bjs

Post by bjs »

I have a doolin two piece which is pretty good for a cheap whistle. Cnat is a bit sharp but a gentler blow will hit ti.
brian
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I have several Clares - a couple of the 2-piece kind and one of the one-piece, and contrary to some 'pinions round heres, I find them to be better whistles than most of the other inexpensive whistles out there (or at the very least, just as good), yes, including most Generations I've seen (except for those elusive "good Gens," I suppose, which I've never played myself, though I've heard them played). One of the Clares I have has a really mellow and chiffy tone that I like in any whistle, regardless of the price, though a bit shrill in the second octave. All the same, it's probably not that easy to find a "spot-on" in-tune Clare, but then, probably no easier to find a spot-on-in-tune whistle of other makes in this price range anyhow. Seems to me that's one of the reasons to spend more $ on a "high-ender." just my $.02.
I carry around a 2-piece Clare most of the time for those moments when I may want to get in a tune or two.