Oak Whistles & Removing Mouth Piece

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oak Whistles & Removing Mouth Piece

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have been until recently very successful tweaking Oak whistles, but now it is getting rough removing the mouth piece. Anyone else ever experienced this problem?

I wonder if they are using a different type of cement?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Here's what I did last time.

Before heating up in very hot water, I took about a half dozen rubber bands and put them on the barrel, making them tight by tripling or quadrulpling them and lining them up to make a good grip. then I took one of those rubber jar opener thingys from the kitchen for the mouthpiece end and I was able to get a really good grip and twist. I found the jar opener thingy wouldn't grip the barrel.

Hope this helps.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Keith,

they are harder to remove these days, but I don't think they currently, or ever, have been glued down (one of their claims on their box is the head is tunable). I think they're just fitting the head tighter these days. I simply use hot tap water on the head right where it meets the tube, and I can with a little force get the head off. Then, I grease the tube and put the head on, usually find it stuck again, and use the hot water tick again...I do this about 4 times and things seem OK after that.

Eric
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I have a melted fipple to show how difficult it can be. It will soon be remedied with an appropriate white cap.

Ron