Arkansas and the dialect study.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Arkansas and the dialect study.

Post by Walden »

I was reading from the state-by-state results of Harvard's USA Dialect Survey, and I noticed that the state of Arkansas, while not having identical results, had suspiciously similar results to that of my home state of Oklahoma. I know, and have known some fine people from Arkansas, and, in general, I wouldn't think too much of this kind of thing, but it occurs to me, Arkansas is sitting right there next to Oklahoma! If they come to a question they didn't understand, wouldn't it be awfully easy for them to just sneak a peak over at Oklahoma's answers?

Did Arkansas cheat?

It's hard to say. It could be just a big coincidence, but, one wonders.
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT: Arkansas and the dialect study.

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:I was reading from the state-by-state results of Harvard's USA Dialect Survey, and I noticed that the state of Arkansas, while not having identical results, had suspiciously similar results to that of my home state of Oklahoma. I know, and have known some fine people from Arkansas, and, in general, I wouldn't think too much of this kind of thing, but it occurs to me, Arkansas is sitting right there next to Oklahoma! If they come to a question they didn't understand, wouldn't it be awfully easy for them to just sneak a peak over at Oklahoma's answers?

Did Arkansas cheat?

It's hard to say. It could be just a big coincidence, but, one wonders.
By "Oklahoma", do you mean "Far North Texas"?

When she was around college age, my sister had a good friend from up thataways, and she picked up a bit of her accent. My mother hated it. I remember her saying, "Suzanne, quit a-talkin' through yore nose."

And how come you think the cheatin' didn't go in the other direction. (By "Arkansas", I assume you mean "Far Northeast Texas".)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Darwin wrote: By "Oklahoma", do you mean "Far North Texas"?
No. No. I believe you're thinking of Perryton.

We settled the border dispute years ago. Greer County remains, as nature intended it, a part of western Oklahoma.
Darwin wrote: And how come you think the cheatin' didn't go in the other direction.
Well I sure didn't cheat off 'em!
Reasonable person
Walden
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Walden wrote: Did Arkansas cheat?
I couldn't help it, I swear! I can easily see Oklahoma from my house, so the answers were right there in front of me! :lol:

It's still an interesting survey, as these surveys tend to include Tulsans and Little Rockers, but not Fort Smithians and Northwest Arkansas residents. I do remember one survey on the pronunciation of "wh" (e.g. Wales vs. Whales) which shows a strong distinction in Little Rock, but a weak one in Tulsa. Fort Smithians are more like Tulsans in that respect.

Watch for a new OT poll! :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
glauber

Post by glauber »

Walden wrote:Arkansas is sitting right there next to Oklahoma!
And yet, the names don't give you any clue that this is the case. What we need is an Anarchist president. The first task of this administration would be to create a better naming convention for the states, perhaps alphabetical, or following the Dewey Decimal System.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Can we give Oklahoma and Texas to Mexico? :twisted:

Come on..bring it on Texans! :lol:
Don't Mess In Texas!! :D
"You have my undivided attention"
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

SirNick wrote:Can we give Oklahoma and Texas to Mexico? :twisted:

Come on..bring it on Texans! :lol:
Don't Mess In Texas!! :D
No, we need the oil, so we should hang on to both Oklahoma and Baja Oklahoma. :D

Q1: How do you really offend someone from Oklahoma?

A1: Tell them they have a Texas accent.

Q2: How do you really offend someone from Texas?

A2: Tell them they have an Oklahoma accent.

Q3: How to offend them both?

A3: Tell them they sound alike.

I have lots more :twisted: - my grandmother was born in Oklahoma, back when it was still "Indian Territory" rather than a state, and had rather . . . strong . . . opinions about that larger state to the south.

The only problem I have with folks from either state is that if I spend more than a couple of minutes talking to them I pick up their accent. I'm not a natural linguist, but I grew up hearing it, and I automatically switch my speech patterns from "US West Coast" to "Oklahoma/Texas" whenever I hear it. :o

Wasn't it H. Allen Smith who observed that it was a sign of a merciful God that both men and women from west Texas shared the same accent? For if the men alone were thus afflicted they'd be condemned to lives of solitude and sexual frustration. :twisted:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Is that the same H. Allen Smith who once made the best chili in all Christendom and who would have proven it such at the Great Terlingua Chili Confrontation had not that lower than a snake's belly, skunk of an unwashed Texan Wick Fowler cheated?
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Listen to me, Waldon. I was born in Arkansas. I was raised there. My parents were both from there. My mother lives there. My brother lives there with his family. I know Arkansas and I know it well.

Arkansas cheated.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Does anyone know why the words Arkansas and Kansas are pronounced completely differently? I've always wondered, and have been forced to admit defeat several times when asked this by foreign visitors. Any info on the history of these names?
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I just know that when I re-entered Canada in 1966 after spending a month in Kingfisher and Norman Oklahoma visiting my great aunt and families, the Canadian customs agent wouldn't believe me, when I showed her my Canadian army ID, birth certificate etc that I wasn't an American trying to pass myself off as a Canadian.

Got to remember it was the age of the draft dodgers (1964 to 1970), which Canada took a lot in.

Even my own family couldn't believe how much of an accent I picked up down there.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

gonzo914 wrote:Is that the same H. Allen Smith who once made the best chili in all Christendom and who would have proven it such at the Great Terlingua Chili Confrontation had not that lower than a snake's belly, skunk of an unwashed Texan Wick Fowler cheated?
Got it in one!

The former Low Man On a Totem Pole who spent much of his Life in A Putty Knife Factory before becoming Lost In the Horse Latitudes. The author who gave the world such great literary creations as Rhubarb and the Doomsday Bookie. Him. :lol:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Reference Kansas vs. Arkansas -- Both come from Native American terms, Arkansas from the Quapaw and Kansas from the Sioux. But the French had a hand in naming Arkansas. Need I say more?

OK, I will.

Kansas was named for Konza (also called Kansa or Kaw) Indians, a Siouan tribe that lived in the area. One source said it means "people of the south wind."

Arkansas came from the Quapaw Indians, by way of early French explorers, who apparently could not properly pronounce "Ugakhpah," which means "people who live downstream".

They still live downstream, for the Arkansas River flows through both. But in Kansas, it is pronounced "Ark-Kansas" river, and it doesn't have any water in it because Colorado stole it all. There is a town called Arkansas City that is prounounced "Ark-Kansas" as well.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Excellent, Gonzo, thanks very much! Now to try to memorise that... :D
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Avanutria - this won't help any, but growing up a Kansas native I always found it amusing that we have a river flowing through our state - the Arkansas river - which is pronounced Ar-Kansas and not pronounced like the state.

I know both Kansas and Arkansas are named after the Kansas (or Kanza or Kaw) indian word for southwind. I'm pretty sure the Kansas indians were not in Arkansas territory though...so I'm not sure why Arkansas was named after them.

Eric