we gave Iraq back to them!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You people crack me up. :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Chuck_Clark wrote:The baddies currently hold three Turks, a Pakistani and another American hostage and will no doubt murder them as well. Think they and the troops who die in the future now will be properly happy that they died in a "Sovereign" Iraq?
I noticed with dismay this morning that another hostage purportedly executed was pushed back to page 11 in today's newspaper - apparently already getting to be old stuff (current Marine hostage excepted - he's from Utah and it's front page news here).

Susan
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Here's the basic problem, as I see it (one of many)....

I'm thinking of a country. I'll list four things about it.

1) It's hostile to the US.
2) It has a dictatorial government.
3) It has a horrible human rights record.
4) It has weapons of mass destruction.

Okay, now, tell me which country I'm thinking of.......

See, that's the problem. You can't.

The fact that Bush declared war against Iraq based on these criteria (one of which was blatantly untrue), which apply equally to many countries, is a serious problem.

Chris
glauber

Post by glauber »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Here's the basic problem, as I see it (one of many)....

I'm thinking of a country. I'll list four things about it.

1) It's hostile to the US.
2) It has a dictatorial government.
3) It has a horrible human rights record.
4) It has weapons of mass destruction.

Okay, now, tell me which country I'm thinking of.......
This was a trick question, wasn't it? The answer is... the USA!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Ooops, forgot this: :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

:wink:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Doesn't this discussion belong in the Politics thread?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TelegramSam wrote:Doesn't this discussion belong in the Politics thread?
Probably, from its inception. Whatever.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Azalin wrote:
jhonan wrote:
PhilO wrote:Is it because Iran already openly has the WMD and we only invade countries where we have to search for the WMD?
Sounds to me like the administration's efforts to convince everyone that Iran already has WMD is starting to pay off.... I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here. :roll:
Yes, and meanwhile, Israel has WMD, that's a known fact, they don't even deny it, and their friends, the americans, arent saying anything about that. We should disarm Israel, they're the real danger in the middle east at the moment.
Yes, then we can herd all of them into camps, and set up those "showers" and...great idea, Az! They're dangerous folks, you know.

Somewhere a ghost named Adolph is saying, "See, I told you so!"
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

blackhawk wrote:
Azalin wrote:
jhonan wrote: Sounds to me like the administration's efforts to convince everyone that Iran already has WMD is starting to pay off.... I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here. :roll:
Yes, and meanwhile, Israel has WMD, that's a known fact, they don't even deny it, and their friends, the americans, arent saying anything about that. We should disarm Israel, they're the real danger in the middle east at the moment.
Yes, then we can herd all of them into camps, and set up those "showers" and...great idea, Az! They're dangerous folks, you know.

Somewhere a ghost named Adolph is saying, "See, I told you so!"
Wow, so the fact that millions of jews got murdered by the nazi gives them a free ride to kill innocent muslims and endanger a whole region, and invade neighbor countries like they did in 1980?

I've got nothing against the jews, I'm just stating that they're a danger right now, and then you start talking about Hitler? My goodness!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Azalin wrote:
Wow, so the fact that millions of jews got murdered by the nazi gives them a free ride to kill innocent muslims and endanger a whole region, and invade neighbor countries like they did in 1980?
Wow, as recently as that? You sure hold a grudge for a long time, don't you?
I've got nothing against the jews, I'm just stating that they're a danger right now, and then you start talking about Hitler? My goodness!
Hitler thought they were dangerous. You think they're dangerous and should be disarmed. It's not hard to connect the dots.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Blackhawk,

What the heck are you talking about?

Chris
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army is preparing to notify about 5,600 retired and discharged soldiers who are not members of the National Guard or Reserve that they will be involuntarily recalled to active duty for possible service in Iraq or Afghanistan, Army officials said Tuesday.

Now does that sound like anybody is coming home soon? We already have thousands of troops there whos tour of duty was fullfilled, and are not allowed to leave. Imagine counting the days, and when the day to go home finally comes, it's "well, sorry but your not going anywhere".
Does it sound like our government is "supporting our troops"?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Exactly. Support our troops, in government speak = exploit our troops.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Blackhawk,

What the heck are you talking about?

Chris
Chris, as I read the newspapers every day for the last few years (or 30 years), I see suicide bomber after suicide bomber deliberately targetting Jewish women and children. Then I see the Israelis hit back by assassinating Hamas leaders (not deliberately targeting Palestinian women and children). Then a few days later another bombing in a night club or pizza parlor, hitting noncombatants, again deliberately. Then again Israel hits a terror leader. Then there'll be a terror hit on a settlement and only a woman and her two small children are gunned down. Then...well, I'm repeating myself. Yes, occasionally the Israelis do hit bystanders, and sometimes they are desperate enough to hit a larger building to get a "big fish." But year after year I see them just wanting to live in peace, while the Palestinian suicide bombers won't let them. I'm aware of the raids into the camps. If the terrorists didn't hide in the middle of women and children, then the women and children wouldn't get caught in the crossfire as much as they do.

The Israelis are outnumbered 30 to 1 in that region and the PLO, among others, is sworn to destroy them (but oddly enough the Israelis aren't sworn to the destruction of the Arab world). I admire their courage, and I admire how they possess the firepower to cause destruction if they were as bloody minded as their oponents, but they have no desire to do that. If they stopped getting attacked, there would be peace in the region. So I go off on Az when I see the victims getting blamed here. Sorry. It's a weak spot in my armor, I guess. I don't blame victims for fighting back.

--Plato