Admitting you have a problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:)

My dear old Aunt Concepta was fond of saying that a bad craftsman blames his tools,
so i suppose this oft heard remark as influenced my belief that there is no such thing as a perfect whistle only the ability to play a tune perfectly on any whistle.

I pray that this posting will not be considered Blasphemous my those amongst us who do suffer from WhOA.

Practice,Practice and more Practice,
Slan,
D.
:wink:
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

My wife was incredulous about my small collection of cheap whistles until I showed her the pic of Jesse's instrument collection. Now she doesn't even blink when I announce my intention to buy another. Besides, she figures that playing whistle keeps me from sulking around the house because I can't play guitar anymore. However, I think she wishes I wouldn't play while we are watching Law and Order on TV.
Mike
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jessie had done many of us a great service by collecting so many instruments...showing my wife the picture of Jesse's collection certainly put my few instruments into perspective!

Thanks Jessie!

BTW - I am not criticizing your collection Jessie - it has many fine instruments I'd dearly love to have myself. Feel free at ANY time to send me that Delrin Olwell if you get bored with it...

Eric
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

vomitbunny wrote:The more whistles you have, the more fun you have.
I had a practice habit when I started a few months ago, that helped me to practice more. I would play the pieces I knew over and over, but switch whistles constantly. I got used to adapting to different breathing, and it kept me from getting worn out on the same tunes.
I do the same thing. You can really tell the difference between different whistles characteristics after a few days.
"You have my undivided attention"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Buying whistles to play music on is NOT a problem as long as you are not spending the rent money to do it. I am sure it is obvious, but there are dozens of other things one can do with their time of money that would be much less desirable:

Alcohol
Drugs
Prostitutes
ρσяиσפядρђψ
Gambling

These are just a couple I could come up with on the spur, but I think you get my drift.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

...whaz rong bout alku.. algohooho.l...?

*BELCH*
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

NorCalMusician wrote:Buying whistles to play music on is NOT a problem as long as you are not spending the rent money to do it. I am sure it is obvious, but there are dozens of other things one can do with their time of money that would be much less desirable:

Alcohol
Drugs
Prostitutes
ρσяиσפядρђψ
Gambling

These are just a couple I could come up with on the spur, but I think you get my drift.
That's funny, gambling and alcohol are usually involved in my whistle purchases!!
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

At Last! SCIENTIFIC PROOF that WHOA is NOT our fault!
From 'New Scientist, 15 November 2003:

Steven Anderson of the University of Iowa and his team have studied a group of pathological collectors.
They found that damage to the frontal lobes of the brain impaired judgement and caused emotional disturbances.However,only when the injury extended to the right mesial prefrontal cortex,a tiny region of the Human prefrontal cortex,did the patients develop a serious collecting habit too.Anderson told a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in New Orleans last November.
Previous work in Rodents (Whistling Rodents? k.m.)shows that more primitive.subcortical brain regions produce a drive to collect food or useless objects.No matter how much they had stashed away,animals will just go on collecting.Anderson maintains that we have the same basic drive;but the right mesial prefrontal cortex can normally discriminate between something of value and something useless,and keeps the drive in check.
When it is damaged,the more primitive collecting drive comes to the fore.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
SirNick

Post by SirNick »

kevin m. wrote:At Last! SCIENTIFIC PROOF that WHOA is NOT our fault!
From 'New Scientist, 15 November 2003:

Steven Anderson of the University of Iowa and his team have studied a group of pathological collectors.
They found that damage to the frontal lobes of the brain impaired judgement and caused emotional disturbances.However,only when the injury extended to the right mesial prefrontal cortex,a tiny region of the Human prefrontal cortex,did the patients develop a serious collecting habit too.Anderson told a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in New Orleans last November.
Previous work in Rodents (Whistling Rodents? k.m.)shows that more primitive.subcortical brain regions produce a drive to collect food or useless objects.No matter how much they had stashed away,animals will just go on collecting.Anderson maintains that we have the same basic drive;but the right mesial prefrontal cortex can normally discriminate between something of value and something useless,and keeps the drive in check.
When it is damaged,the more primitive collecting drive comes to the fore.
Excellent! I'm going to print a copy of this for my wife and order some more whistles!! :lol: