Illinois earthquake? Carol?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Illinois earthquake? Carol?

Post by sturob »

I just read that there was a 4.5 earthquake in, of all places, northern Illinois (near Ottawa, IL) this morning around 0100 local time.

Carol, anyone else in that area . . . did you feel it?

I suppose southern Illinois is used to feeling the occasional shake from New Madrid, but northern Illinois? Wacky!

It was just a 4.5, but I hope there was neither damage nor injury.

Stuart
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wow!

Reckon Illinois will fall into the ocean when California doe...err... river?? Hey! the Illinois River runs dow through this country too!

We had a pretty good shake when I was a teenager, living in Mindanao, one night (7.5 at the epicenter I think was reported). It was like being in a boat on the sea. Scary stuff. I stayed up till daylight, and ran outside at the slightest tremor.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

A 4.5 is just a good massage for the feet, take it from a guy who lives in the bay area. :lol: No worries!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

blackhawk wrote:A 4.5 is just a good massage for the feet, take it from a guy who lives in the bay area. :lol: No worries!
Out there, yeah. Here, we get a 3.5 shudder and its a seven-day wonder. I understand the quake was felt here, but I slept through it.

Illinois does run really near the New Madrid fault in Missouri. That one hasn't really popped since 1811, but if it ever does the disaster scenarios are as scary as anything in California.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

There was a weak quake about that size in the south here a while ago. I didn't think much of it, barely woke me up, and I thought I had dreamed it until someone else mentioned it later.

My mother was ticked off at the crack that showed up on the side of our brick house, but nothing fell over.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
blackhawk wrote:A 4.5 is just a good massage for the feet, take it from a guy who lives in the bay area. :lol: No worries!
Out there, yeah. Here, we get a 3.5 shudder and its a seven-day wonder. I understand the quake was felt here, but I slept through it.

Illinois does run really near the New Madrid fault in Missouri. That one hasn't really popped since 1811, but if it ever does the disaster scenarios are as scary as anything in California.
Good point. I read somewhere that in 1811 that quake made the Mississippi River run backwards.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
carrie

Post by carrie »

Yes! I felt and *saw* it: I was upstairs at my desk in my room, which is a converted attic, and I could see the sloped ceiling/wall move and feel the whole one-and-a-half story brick house shudder. Right away I looked online to see if there'd been an earthquake here and I didn't find anything, so I thought maybe it was...what? Couldn't come up with an answer. It was mild, yet definitely enough to make me imagine, in my usual calm and rational way, how the WHOLE HOUSE COULD COME TUMBLING DOWN.

Who else around here felt it?

Carol
glauber

Post by glauber »

I slept through it. By the time it got to the Chicago area there was probably not much shake left in it anyway. But our morning news here have reported it very sedately, so i guess/hope the damage was small.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

From the article that avanutria posted the link to:

>>Gary Spaulding of Marseilles, Ill., said he was relaxing in his mobile home when the quake struck.

“It was like somebody shot off dynamite,” said Spaulding, who added that his cat leaped out of his lap and would still not come near him two hours later. “I thought maybe a tree hit my trailer.”<<

Evidently Mr. Spaulding's cat has blamed him for other things in the past. Dynamite comes to mind.

Glad you're okay, Carol, Glauber, Chuck, and all.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

blackhawk wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote: [Illinois does run really near the New Madrid fault in Missouri. That one hasn't really popped since 1811, but if it ever does the disaster scenarios are as scary as anything in California.
Good point. I read somewhere that in 1811 that quake made the Mississippi River run backwards.
The 1811 New Madrid quake temporarily reversed the flow of the (then much smaller) Mississippi and permanently rerouted the river, one result being Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. It also caused church bells to ring in New York and Boston. Fortunately the area was sparsely populated with mostly very primitive structures.

A few years back I participated in the disaster planning when that whacko "scientist" was predicting that the NM was about to blow. Among other predictions: loss of all Mississippi bridges between Burlington, Iowa and Baton Rouge, LA; catastrophic damage to Memphis; massive damage to Little Rock, St. Louis, Columbia, Mo; heavy damage to Nashville; some damage as far off as Chicago, New Orleans and Kansas City; millions of casualties and a complete collapse of medical and food distribution systems nationwide (try and imagine how much shipping crosses the Mississippi on rail and road bridges and moves along it on barges everyday).
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
jfarrell

Post by jfarrell »

I live in Iowa City, IA and we felt it too. I was just getting to bed when my bedroom started to shake like there was a train going by, excpet there was no whistle or chugging to be heard. It was odd, but I didn't bother me until I heard what had happened on NPR the next morning.

My cat slept through it all, which was not my first clue that I have a defective cat. Magnetic-field ESP abilities my ass. - Jo
"To truly live creative lives we must lose our fear of failure..."
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

New Madrid Earthquake of 1811 had the Mississippi River running backwards for three days, after shocks continued to knock chimineys down for three years thereafter. They say the tree would rotate 90 Deg. and slap the ground and then come back up.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Caj

Post by Caj »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
blackhawk wrote: A few years back I participated in the disaster planning when that whacko "scientist" was predicting that the NM was about to blow.
We had a joke back in Illinois about how this guy came up with his prediction. He said it would happen on Dec 3, 12/3, after one of the famous quakes that happened on Jan 23 1812, that is, 1/23.

ONE TWO THREE! It all makes sense!

Caj
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

jfarrell wrote:I have a defective cat.
You should oughta return it and get your money back--just like you would with an expensive whistle that turned out not to work right.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe