Cormac Breatnach

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cormac Breatnach

Post by Dale »

Dear Chiff & Fipple friends,

Let me just urge you to strongly consider putting together a house concert if you are in this area. Cormac & Martin's CD is probably my favorite CD of all time.

Dale

From Cormac:

Just wanted to let you know that I now have an Agent who will be based in Portland Oregan in about a month's time who will be representing us. Our proposed trip to the States will have us start off near Portland Oregon on November 12 & 13, 2004 and we plan to stay for 10 days (2 meeks max) so I invite anyone who hasn't been in contact with me who is interested in providing a house concert, etc., for Martin Dunlea and myself to please make contact with our Agent.

Our Agent is:

Helen Bommarito Agency
3730 Wallingford Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98103
Tel: (206) 547-7210
e-mail: hbomm@qwest.net

Regards,

Cormac

www.cormacbreatnach.com
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Dale,I 'predict' that the tour will be a great success. Love that Avatar! :D
Seriously though,Cormac and Martin are great musicians.Cormac's playing of the Overton 'F' whistle especially is mighty fine.
Whilst his music isn't exactly 'trad.',his 'Jazzy' approach to the Irish tradition doesn't come across as contrived or forced,but rather the result of natural musical inclination and natural evolution of his playing style.
'The Foggy Dew' from the 'Music for whistle and Guitar' illustrates this in a very fine way.
Recommended for all you 'hip young(and not so young)things' out there.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I hope there's some way he ends up coming to the bay area. I have two CDs by him and his playing is wonderful. And he's a nice guy in emails, too.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I've begun to contact a few of the Irish cultural organizations in the SF Bay Area to see if any of them are interested in sponsoring an event for Cormac. I'll let you know what I find out.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

stiofan wrote:I've begun to contact a few of the Irish cultural organizations in the SF Bay Area to see if any of them are interested in sponsoring an event for Cormac. I'll let you know what I find out.
Good job, Stiofan! But please, not in September! I'm already missing the Lunasa concert by picking that month to go to Ireland. It's driving me crazier. :boggle:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Maeloc
Tell us something.: I love Emer Mayock, Matt Molloy, Jean Michel Veillon and Michael McGoldrick playing. My favourite flute makers are Hammy Hamilton and Solen Lesouef

Post by Maeloc »

It makes me mad that you can enjoy the possibility of a concert by Cormac Breatnach (just envy, no offence intended) :moreevil: I live in the European "Union"! :x does anybody in the forum know if that could happen here in Spain? :roll:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Maeloc wrote:It makes me mad that you can enjoy the possibility of a concert by Cormac Breatnach (just envy, no offence intended) :moreevil: I live in the European "Union"! :x does anybody in the forum know if that could happen here in Spain? :roll:
I thought there was some cultural exchange between Galicia and other Celtic areas. Perhaps it isn't all that regular or organised.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Maeloc wrote:

It makes me mad that you can enjoy the possibility of a concert by Cormac Breatnach (just envy, no offence intended) I live in the European "Union"! does anybody in the forum know if that could happen here in Spain?

Why don't you contact his agent and see if they would come to Spain? If there's sufficient interest, perhaps they would. Are there Irish cultural groups (like Comhaltas) in Spain you could ask about hosting an event? I have to believe that Cormac probably wouldn't mind taking a trip to Spain if he were invited!
Maeloc
Tell us something.: I love Emer Mayock, Matt Molloy, Jean Michel Veillon and Michael McGoldrick playing. My favourite flute makers are Hammy Hamilton and Solen Lesouef

Post by Maeloc »

Wombat wrote:
I thought there was some cultural exchange between Galicia and other Celtic areas. Perhaps it isn't all that regular or organised.
I think that's true, but it is mainly through festivals as Ortigueira (http://www.festivaldeortigueira.com, they are translated to english), and most probably limited to the north of Spain, too far from Madrid.

In my naivete :oops: , I was thinking about some cultural event that allowed people from all my country to expose to traditional music of different countries in Europe. The only cultural event that seems to gather us all is Eurovision :roll: or football :roll:

[/quote]