Eb flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eb flutes

Post by beowulf573 »

So I've heard folks talk about Eb flutes. Matt Molloy has used them in recordings and I heard a rumor that Kevin Crawford was hoping to record with just an Eb flute.

What makes them special? How do they compare to a D flute, except for being a 1/2 step higher?

Ooh, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is on, gotta run.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
marosan

Post by marosan »

Eddie,

As far as I know flute players I like Eb flutes much because that special
atmosphere the higher semitone (than D) gives to the flute. Flutist play this flute like a D flute (correct me, please, if I'm in error) :-? , but sounds
quite different, a bit brighter.

Many flutist love it, indeed. Very popular pitch in whistles too - e.g. Brian Finnegan plays an Eb Overton whistle very often.

Bennet
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

A friend of mine who plays whistles mostly gave me a long term loan of an old Eb flute that has been in her family for a long time. She doesn't know where it came from - just that her brother played it when they were kids in Co. Clair, Ireland. She said it looked old then (she is now in her late 70's). It is interesting in that it is a post mounted eight key flute that seems to made of Bakelite (an early plastic). With the slide all the way pushed in it is at A = 449. It takes pulling it out about 1/2 inch (6ml) to get it to 440.

It plays beautifully with a clear, bright tone. What keeps me playing it almost daily is the incredible responsiveness. I can play stuff MUCH faster on this dear old thing. I have only played it with someone else once. That was when a visiting highland piper played with our band for a few tunes - his pipes were in Eb. After a flurry of capo hunting I was the only non-string musician who could play along.

Clark
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

I'd also be interested in replies to this question -- although I did think that the "flat" flutes, i.e. Bb and Eb varieties are as useful for playing with pipes as they are tonally interesting.

Certainly with the Bb variety it's interesting that Böhm flutes have a B foot, but never (well OK, perhaps some exist) a Bb foot-joint. There must be some reason why playing in Eb and Bb is advantageous -- or is it really all a matter of tonal quality? Surprising, if so.

Az
onkel

Post by onkel »

Azathoth wrote:There must be some reason why playing in Eb and Bb is advantageous -- or is it really all a matter of tonal quality? Surprising, if so.

Az
Hi Az, the tonal quality aspect, that certainly applies to the lower Keys like Bb. It's the sound! Listen to the tracks played on C and Bb flutes on the WFO CDs and you'll know what I mean.

And Eb, there's a certain liveliness about it. That semitone does make a big change, but don't ask me why. Playing in Eb is also recommendable when you have to play in a noisy pub. Even though playing in Eb is not necessarily louder, it penetrates much better. And from a flute player's view, Eb flutes appear to make you a better player! Producing notes, fingering, it's all much easier on the Eb. And that's not just because of the finger stretch.

Claus
sturob

Post by sturob »

There are other cultural things as well . . . a Famous Player who shall remain nameless refers to Eb as the pitch that "lifts and separates." Meaning, it's sometimes useful if you want to limit who's playing at a rowdy session.

Eb flutes are a joy to play, in my opinion, because they seem to respond so much more quickly than a D flute. Why that small difference in length matters, who knows. But the key seems bright as well.

Eddie, I'm moving home (to Houston) on July 1st; if we can schedule the HFS (Houston Flute Summit) sometime after then you can try a couple of Eb flutes.

Stuart
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

But make sure the Summit meets after the 10th ~ we're on vacation (Colorado) until then!

Mary
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Just let us know when you settled.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Re: Eb flutes

Post by Tradman »

beowulf573 wrote:So I've heard folks talk about Eb flutes. Matt Molloy has used them in recordings and I heard a rumor that Kevin Crawford was hoping to record with just an Eb flute.

What makes them special? How do they compare to a D flute, except for being a 1/2 step higher?

Ooh, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is on, gotta run.
Actually, from a conversation I had with Kevin Krell way back, Kevin Crawford was considering an album in all Bb. BUT, I will know for sure in two weeks, as I will be seeing him in Ennis.
beowulf573

Re: Eb flutes

Post by beowulf573 »

Tradman wrote: Actually, from a conversation I had with Kevin Krell way back, Kevin Crawford was considering an album in all Bb. BUT, I will know for sure in two weeks, as I will be seeing him in Ennis.
Cool, that was probably my memory playing tricks. Those flats all start to see the same after playing a D instrument for a while.

Tell him he and/or Lunasa really needs to come to southeast Texas for a show. I'd even drive to Dallas again to see them.
Eddie
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

sturob wrote:There are other cultural things as well . . . a Famous Player who shall remain nameless refers to Eb as the pitch that "lifts and separates."
So, what...you're implying they are the wonder bra of the flute world?

Aodhan
Blackwood

Eb

Post by Blackwood »

Here's my take on Eb: How sweet it is. That half-tone up just gives a sweetness in sound that's addictive. In fact, if you ever played in Eb and then switch back to D, D seems dull until your ears readjust.

For flute players, Eb takes much less wind as well, smaller fingering so these flutes are also very relaxing to play.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Are not Eb recordings often obtained these days by speeding up D recordings ?
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Eb flutes are indeed brighter and, for some reason easier to play than the D flutes.
Many D flutes bark nicely down low.....but Eb is downright barkiest!
Cutting through the noise is exactly what it does. I did a gig, noisy place, a couple weeks ago (think i even posted a thread) and played it entirely in Eb.
Wow. that made all the difference.
As they used to say (or still do): Try it, you'll like it!
dave m
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

andrew wrote:Are not Eb recordings often obtained these days by speeding up D recordings ?
Are you winding us up?

Edited to add in regards to Clark's post: Highland pipes are technically in Bb (it's not a just-tempered scale... more like ill-tempered) but Eb is usually the best way to play along on whistle or flute. Phil Smillie of The Tannahill Weavers plays an Eb flute.

Cheers,
Aaron