Fiddle strings - a newbie question

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crysania »

Azalin wrote:
Did you read the most recent DL series, Dragons of Falling Stars, etc? I think it was awesome.
I haven't yet...I stopped reading when they started that 5th age no real magic schtick...it just lost my interest. But I keep hearing it's come back and that that particular series is really good. When I get some time I'll have to check it out! Thanks... :)

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Thanks everyone for your string suggestions! I've decided I'm going to keep a list of them...and just try them one by one and see which I like the best. Right now, I suppose it won't matter much since I won't sound great even if I had the best of strings.

Though, actually, it's only been a week and I'm pleased with my progress! I've been practicing playing G and D major scales (one octave) and have them both pretty in tune and it's starting to feel natural where to put my fingers...the bow thing is still tricky. I can get a decent sound on the G and D strings...and an ok sound on the E string...but that A string...I just can't figure out why it perpetually sounds scratchy, but the E string sounds ok. Just more practice I'm sure!

Thanks again everyone. :)

~Crys
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
djm

Post by djm »

but that A string...I just can't figure out why it perpetually sounds scratchy
Pressure and tension. Too much pressure of the bow on the string and/or too much tension in your bow hand will make it go scratchy sounding. Soft hands and smooth bowing action are tough to learn, but they make all the difference in the sound produced. You are right, though, more practise will cure everything in time. Enjoy!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Thanks djm...I thought maybe I wasn't being solid enough with the bow...sounds like the problem is the exact opposite...I'll try lightening up the bow some the next time I practice and just keep working on it!

~Crys
djm

Post by djm »

This was the toughest for me to learn on fiddle. The bow would bounce up and down on the strings with every stroke - too much tension in the bow hand. Also, I had to unlearn the guitar grip on the string hand. If my first teacher had started me out with the concept of "soft hands" in the first place I think I might have progressed a lot faster (then again, probably not :D ).

djm
IvanP

Post by IvanP »

Crysania wrote:Thanks djm...I thought maybe I wasn't being solid enough with the bow...sounds like the problem is the exact opposite...I'll try lightening up the bow some the next time I practice and just keep working on it!

~Crys
Or if any part of the system - bow or strings - are new, then you might just need to give it a little more rosin than usual daily for about a week.
Just when you think you've seen it all, the Chieftains get a new guest star!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

IvanP beat me to it, that is, the possibility that the A string may not have enough build up of rosin from the bow on it...or...the bow needs a little more. Frequent playing ought to clear that up.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Thanks Joseph and Ivan...I'll try more rosin on the bow...is it possible to OVER-rosin a bow though? And if so, how do you know when you've put too much on...I can't really see the stuff on there (except that the bow looks more discoloured than the other never-rosined bow it came with).

Ah the beauty of being an utter newbie on an instrument...it's so strange asking such basic questions about an instrument! lol

~Crysania
Joseph E. Smith

When you hold an un-rosined bow up to a light, and look down the length of the hair (the side that comes in contact with the strings), it will appear shiny. After you apply the rosin, this shine will become duller. Ideally, the hair shouldn't be shiny.

I suppose you can over rosin a bow, and it will really grab the strings of your fiddle, but after playing for a while, the excess rosin will transfer itself to the strings and the face of your fiddle. As I see it, always better to have a little more rosin than a little less, but I am sure there will be folks who will dispute this. Excessive rosin will also tend to build up on the finish of your instrument, so you may wish to wipe off your fiddle after each playing. Although, there are those who like the build up of rosin on the face of their instruments, citing that it enhances the tone. I have an old student model that I let students use, and the build up of rosin on this fiddle does mellow and warm the tone somewhat. But, I don't recommend doing this on higher quality instruments, because the finish is an important part of the violin's overall tone.
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, that's what I was told, too. Allowing the rosin to build up on the fiddle will eventually start to eat into the varnish, so it should be kept wiped clean. I was taught to rosin up the bow and then pluck it with the back of a thumbnail. Whatever is too much on the bow will come off in a little cloud of dust. Whatever is left is fine.

djm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If I'm getting a poor tone, I usually clean the rosin off the strings and that seems to fix it! It may be purely psycholgical.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Joseph E. Smith

I think we're all a bit 'touched' in the head from playing this music. :D Wiping excess rosin off the strings especially up near the finger board keeps my fiddle in good tone as well. It's funny that the amount of rosin build-up can so affect the tone of the fiddle, but it does.
Karina

Post by Karina »

Just as an afterthought, I always get my strings from www.swstrings.com, they tend to have great prices and their strings only shipping policy is nice:

For a strings only order over $30, shipping is waived. International destinations are excluded from this offer.
You also have the option of 2 business day delivery of strings only orders for only $4.50, and overnight for $14.50.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone! I discovered one thing about the scratchy sound thing...slow bow speed when you can't quite control the bow = scratchiness. Once I sped the bow up a bit, kablam! the scratchiness was almost gone. :o I guess this is why one should always take some lessons in the beginning! They've been very helpful so far.

I've got all the info on strings and stuff saved and when I decide it's time to get new strings, I'll take everyone's suggestions into account! For now I've opted to leave the originals on and worry about better strings in maybe a month or so. Right now I mostly have to work on the bowing...the left hand stuff isn't too difficult...I can play a two octave G major scale (pizzicato) and one octave on the D and A scales...but the bowing isn't going quite as well! Argh.

Thanks again! :)

~Crysania
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I have exclusively used the strings named Averna 'purple' made in China.
The sound is very similar(I think Averna is better in many senses) to Dominant and the set price is about $20(for now).

You know,I always think the price of fiddle strings is rediculous. So I seriously kept looking for good cheap strings. I am still looking for the better one. :)

I personally like Olive the best though,heh. :P