Whistle Maker's Update from me...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

JessieK wrote:Fair enough, Dana. I played a Sunslinger Bb (that Bill said was an A - an easy mistake, I guess) and hated it. But as I said, to each his own. I am still surprised that some people (like you) like Bill's whistles. I do like Bill, by the way.
Yes but I think what you are saying is THAT YOU WOULD LIKE HIM MORE IF HE WAS MAKING BABY BOTTLES :roll:
Thoughts on makin whistles!!!!!!!Them what can do -----an them what can't :P
Of course ifin it was to come between jessie jewellery and no jewellery,I would not wear any!!! :o and I realy like Jessie
:roll:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Like Bonequint, I have no objection to negative reviews, if the reasons for the reviewer not liking a whistle are properly spelt out. A general statement that X's whistles are bad (or good) does not help me.

I did a fair amount of research on this board (as well as on the old one) before making certain whistle purchases, and I appreciated good reviews, whether positive or negative.

Like I said in another post, shipping is expensive for me, and I can't try whistles before buying them, so I depend a lot on reviews.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote: Thoughts on makin whistles!!!!!!!Them what can do -----an them what can't :P
Of course ifin it was to come between jessie jewellery and no jewellery,I would not wear any!!! :o and I realy like Jessie
:roll:
Stacey, you make me laugh. :lol:

And you've just made my point in your inimitable way. Personally, I think Jessie's jewelry is pretty. So did my daughter. And cool to see it on Avril Lavigne.
But I believe that those who wish to throw punches, (I'd rather play a stick...)should learn to roll with them.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

emmline wrote:Stacey, you make me laugh.
Me laugh too!
emmline wrote:But I believe that those who wish to throw punches, (I'd rather play a stick...) should learn to roll with them.
The funniest part is, Jessie <b>has</b> a stick to play!

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=30
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Just to add another take on Serpents, I did a little review of the Village Smithy when I first got it, back in March: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=18619

Since that time, I have sanded it down and blued it. It's really a lot like the brass one in Jessie's review, but has a white Delrin plug (I was offered cedar as an alternative), and quite a bit of backpressure. The way the blade was done looks very similar. There are no extraneous tool marks on the tube, though there's a bit of a steel splinter showing at the bottom of one of the fingerholes. Of course, this is exactly what I was expecting in terms of finish, both from the picture on the Web page, and from my exchanges with Bill prior to placing my order.

Unfortunately, it's out on loan at the moment, so I can't do another comparison to the the Busman (now that I've been playing that for a couple of months) for "reediness". I do like the sound well enough, even though the narrow-bore aluminum Burke may be my real favorite, and I do enjoy playing the VS.

Actually, of the eleven whistles I own now (yeah, I know that's not many, and I'm just a rank beginner, anyhow), the only one I really don't enjoy playing at all is the Dixon tunable (without the brass slide). I played a non-tunable one at the C&F Gathering that might have been a little better. Even the untweaked Oak is more appealing in its own way. The Dixon was one of my first three whistles, and it was the best of the lot--much better than the pre-tweaked Clarke original and the pre-Whitecap Feadog, and I liked it, even though I found the second octave quite difficult to control.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
GaryKelly

Re: Whistle Maker's Update from me...

Post by GaryKelly »

Cyfiawnder wrote: The material I chose for the High Enders is a Carbon composite material (carbon fiber). Very light, rigid, and strong. I believe it will produce a very crisp, and mellow tone, without being overly chiffy or breathy. There is a brand of Boehm FLutes made from Carbon fiber, and I have read that they sound "realy beautiful."
Cyf., have you worked with carbon fibre? I ask from an H&S point of view... in a previous life I used to write technical manuals for the military techs who regularly had to work with the stuff for aircraft... it's pretty crappy, especially where drilling is concerned. The H&S warnings filled three quarters of the manuals. You definitely don't want splinters of it getting under your skin. And composites can delaminate rather nastily when drilled.

Oh and I also heard that composite flute sounded 'ordinary' considering the price. It did look very cool though.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: Whistle Maker's Update from me...

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

GaryKelly wrote:
Cyfiawnder wrote: The material I chose for the High Enders is a Carbon composite material (carbon fiber). Very light, rigid, and strong. I believe it will produce a very crisp, and mellow tone, without being overly chiffy or breathy. There is a brand of Boehm FLutes made from Carbon fiber, and I have read that they sound "realy beautiful."
Cyf., have you worked with carbon fibre? I ask from an H&S point of view... in a previous life I used to write technical manuals for the military techs who regularly had to work with the stuff for aircraft... it's pretty crappy, especially where drilling is concerned. The H&S warnings filled three quarters of the manuals. You definitely don't want splinters of it getting under your skin. And composites can delaminate rather nastily when drilled.
Oh and I also heard that composite flute sounded 'ordinary' considering the price. It did look very cool though.
This Is too true, I made a Soprano from an broken carbonfiber golfclub shaft the drilling was a pain :sniffle: and had to have more resin put around the holes before it could be finished :moreevil:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Diamond drill needed (with vacuum attachment to suck away the dust highly recommended), local cooling recommended (so that the structure doesn't delaminate through thermal breakdown) plus the usual eye protection and organic vapour mask... carbon fibre gives of practically invisible fibrils when machined. Breathing that stuff is like breathing a million razor-sharp needles (hello, silicosis) and ordinary DIY face-masks for keeping out sawdust and the like just won't protect you.

One of the other big concerns that the a/c techs were worried about (apart from contact with and inhaling the dust) was the splinters. Extracting a splinter of carbon fibre from the skin was painstaking, the medic had to make sure the fibre didn't snap beneath the surface of the skin. Apparently the shard of carbon fibre is light enough to be propelled along through the bloodstream, and sharp enough to slice through anything in its journey to the heart or other vital organs. This is probably apocryphal, but the warnings we had to print in the damage repair manuals were pretty specific about how to remove the splinters.

Working with that stuff was considered a lot worse than working with glass fibre, apparently.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

GaryKelly wrote:Working with that stuff was considered a lot worse than working with glass fibre, apparently.
Yikes! - You make it sound on par with working with Uranium.... :boggle:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

jhonan wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Working with that stuff was considered a lot worse than working with glass fibre, apparently.
Yikes! - You make it sound on par with working with Uranium.... :boggle:
Well, I guess inhaling either one of 'em would be most unpleasant!

I think the issue with drilling/machining cf composite in-situ is the fibrils...tiny slivers of the stuff as thin as/thinner than a human hair jabbing into a finger (or worse). If it wasn't delicately extracted (pulled *straight* out) then a bit could snap off in the body...with attendant nastiness in due course.

In the early days of cf composites, there was a cloak of mystery maintained around the stuff (the wizards didn't want plebs learning the secrets). These days plenty of folks are making their own cf composite mouldings at home. It's the drilling and machining of the finished product that gives rise to the main risks.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Carbon fiber is currently one of the "chic" knife handle materials. Has anyone considered micarta, another excellent knife handle material for whistles? Delrin and PVC seem to fill the bill well enough, though.

Let's see if this innocuous post goes through. I tried to send a long response in this thread twice last night, but got an "invalid session" message amd lost both posts. There probably is a higher power that was saving me from myself. Or is it "big brother"? (Just kidding, Rich). :)

There's a lot to be said on the candid public whistle assessment issue though; but I'm not trying to put my 2000 cents in again.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Sounds vaguely like asbestos, or maybe even worse?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

GaryKelly wrote:Diamond drill needed (with vacuum attachment to suck away the dust highly recommended), local cooling recommended (so that the structure doesn't delaminate through thermal breakdown) plus the usual eye protection and organic vapour mask... carbon fibre gives of practically invisible fibrils when machined. Breathing that stuff is like breathing a million razor-sharp needles (hello, silicosis) and ordinary DIY face-masks for keeping out sawdust and the like just won't protect you.

One of the other big concerns that the a/c techs were worried about (apart from contact with and inhaling the dust) was the splinters. Extracting a splinter of carbon fibre from the skin was painstaking, the medic had to make sure the fibre didn't snap beneath the surface of the skin. Apparently the shard of carbon fibre is light enough to be propelled along through the bloodstream, and sharp enough to slice through anything in its journey to the heart or other vital organs. This is probably apocryphal, but the warnings we had to print in the damage repair manuals were pretty specific about how to remove the splinters.

Working with that stuff was considered a lot worse than working with glass fibre, apparently.
I guess I should have been more accurate with my description of the material. While it is carbon based and woven. It isn't the normal laminated carbon fibre that you would see on say, pool cues and automobile hoods in the fast in the furious. I just said carbon fiber because most people KNOW what that is. The tube I ordered is an epoxy bonded carbon. I do not belive it has the same visable woven pattern that Carbon Fiber Mat has. It looks more like Gray CPVC. Not quite the same thing. I am aware that Working with new materials can have unexpected consequences. That's why I ordered small ammounts of material. IF it works yeah! If it doesn't then I'm out a lot less money than I would be if I purchased enough materials for 100 whistles and not 6.

As for why I chose Bill to send my whistle to: One he is a Whistle maker and he has been in the business longer than I have. He knows what needs to be done to get the ball rolling. He does sell whistles, so apperently some poeple like them. Especially since business is "booming."

Two, he has helped me a lot getting small and large problems figured out. He has given me a lot of pointers which I am very gratefull for.

That Said for those of you who are wondering, our whistles are almost completely different. Different tonal Qualities, Different materials, Different window, blade, windway, and fipple designs. Different finger patterns and holes sizes. They are about as different as two whistles can get and still both be whistles. Another whistle player by the name Dana Hackley has played the instrument I sent to Bill. I am not going to say if She liked it or not, that is for the people who have played it to report. He is also going to ship it off to Dan Bigamon when he gets the chance. So hopefully some more respected reviews (in some people's Honored Opinions) will be forth coming.

This thread has realy taken a life of its own :) I am such a trouble maker... Bad me! Who wants to spank me first??? :o

Cy
Last edited by Cyfiawnder on Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Did you get a ghostwriter, Cy? ;)
/Bloomfield
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Bloomfield wrote:Did you get a ghostwriter, Cy? ;)
:D