Firefox browser

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Firefox browser

Post by glauber »

If anyone is looking for a good Internet browser without the security problems of I.E., Mozilla Firefox (version 0.9 now) seems to finally be ready for prime-time. I'm beginning to use it instead of Opera now, and i'm liking it a lot. My only complaint is that you have to download quite a few "extensions" to get it to have all the functionality that comes installed by default in Opera. Some of these extensions are available from odd places and not easy to find, so this may not be for someone who doesn't enjoy doing research on the Internet. But it's free.

http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.mozillazine.org/ <-- good place to ask for extensions
http://aasted.org/adblock/index.php

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

I've been using version 0.8 of firefox for about a month now, and I love it. I only have to switch back to IE for sites that still insist on using VBScript or ActiveX....
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I've been using Firefox since before it was Firefox and I have to say, I don't think I'll ever go back to IE. Firefox loads pages faster, uses fewer system resources, has a more streamlined interface, allows all sorts of great user-made plug-ins, blocks pop-ups and even inline ads and flash animations. I love it.

Chris
glauber

Post by glauber »

I like Opera. I'm a regi$tered user, and the other day i entered a support request and... shock! got a reply from a human technician, the same day!

But i have to say Firefox is almost as good, starts quicker and you don't need to pay for it.
--Wellsprings--
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

What extensions do you use? I've been using Firefox but don't have any extensions installed.

Unfortunately I have to switch to IE to access content on the Intranet at work. Firefox prompts me for a username/password (even from inside the local network) and then won't let me into the Intranet.

-Brett
glauber

Post by glauber »

Bretton wrote:What extensions do you use? I've been using Firefox but don't have any extensions installed.

Unfortunately I have to switch to IE to access content on the Intranet at work. Firefox prompts me for a username/password (even from inside the local network) and then won't let me into the Intranet.

-Brett
Opera may be able to handle that username/password authentication, if they're using Microsoft hash authentication; if they're using NT authentication, then you're locked into I.E.

The Firefox extensions i have loaded now are:
  • DOM Inspector - got loaded automatically when i installed something else.
  • ReloadEvery - stuff that i'm used to with Opera - reloads page every X minutes. I use this to keep my email and Chiffboard refreshed.
  • googlebar - not necessary. I loaeded it thinking it would give the Google site ranking like the GoogleBar in IE does, but it doesn't.
  • Paste and Go - stuff i'm used to in Opera - this one is a minor deal.
  • Web Developer - great stuff, if you develop or QA Web sites.
  • Adblock - the best one - block content from specific sites; you can use it to block add banners, since most of them come from a few known addresses like ar.atwola.com or doubleclick.com.
  • Single Window - to make it work a little more like Opera
  • miniT - lets me reorganize my tabs with the mouse (like Opera).
  • DictionarySearch - just because.

Any other useful extensions out there?

g
--Wellsprings--
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I use the following extensions:

- Dictionary Search
- Flash Click to View
- Nuke Anything
- Adblock
- Chatzilla
- Sessionsaver
-
tcm

Post by tcm »

glauber wrote:
Bretton wrote:Any other useful extensions out there?

g
One of my new favorites - ieview. From the ieview home page (http://ieview.mozdev.org/):

'The ieview plugin is a simple Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox extension (for Microsoft Windows systems), which allows the current page or a selected link to be opened in Internet Explorer. I use Mozilla 99.99% of the time, but there are those moments -- particularly when testing new pages, or when viewing that rare IE-only page that's actually interesting -- when I need to see what things look like in IE.'

'Scratching the itch, this plugin adds menu items to the page context menu, and the link context menu. Right-clicking a link now includes an "Open link target in IE" menu item. Right-clicking elsewhere in the main body of the page (not within an image, text box, etc.) gives "View this page in IE." '

Tom McG
xoot

Post by xoot »

Bretton wrote:What extensions do you use? I've been using Firefox but don't have any extensions installed.

-Brett
I always load the TAB Browser extensions into Firfox. Wouldn't be without them.

I have used Firefox behind a firewall. You can set exceptions to the proxy (for accessing the Intranet) by putting items in the "No proxy for" list, or you can write a 'proxy.pac' file (same as IE can use as well) which contains rules for how to use the proxy.
-------------
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I use firefox on this computer. I have the older Firebird version on my computer. Both are excellent, there's really not that much difference between the two really. I can say that I haven't had any problems with self-installing spyware/adware since I started using it. With IE, every time I ran adaware it came up with some new piece of crap, now it just turns up the occasional cookie.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
glauber

Post by glauber »

Adblocker rules!
Last edited by glauber on Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wellsprings--
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

The interesting thing about these banners is that they are powered by Google adwords. i.e. the ads which display are relevant to the text which is on the page.

Take a look at the euro 2004 thread; the banner displays football-related adverts.... Could get interesting if people use certain words in their posts.... :wink:

John.
Dana

Post by Dana »

I love Firefox for the Mac. Just downloaded version 0.9 and it's definitely better than 0.8. Thanks for letting me know it was out, doh.

Dana
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Actually, GNU/Linux developers consider software ready for prime time with release number 1 and above, so they consider it pretty close.

How can anyone use a browser without tabs (IE)?

I feel so helpless and overworked doing simple tasks using Microsoft stuff.

Besides, Linux distros come with tons of software you don't need to buy.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I love firefox. I just upgraded to 0.9 and it seems to work fine, in spite of still being beta.

Dale