Whistlers are wierd, aren't they?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Do you think that other players of musical instruments get into the frequent and lengthy discussions as to type, cost, value, and quality of instruments that we engage in? Can you imagine tubaists, oboeists, pianists, fiddlers, guitarists, etc. carrying on so? Maybe. Or is it just our outpouring of devotion to this relatively simple instrument? :)

Come to think of it, a dear old friend (rest his sole), a professional bass guitarist (very hot player who couldn't read a lick but could instantly learn everything by ear and played with from Peter Paul and Mary to Sister Sledge) did get into a bunch of jawing as to bass guitars when with others of his ilk.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PhilO, have you checked out the flute and pipes forums yet? :lol:
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Do you think that other players of musical instruments get into the frequent and lengthy discussions...
Most certainly they do. What they may not do, in many instances, is become deeply involved in whimsical off-topic discussions. They also are not as likely to remain civil in non-whimsical off-topic discussions, from what I've seen.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Yes, other musicians talk about, obsess over their instruments every bit as much if not more. The main differences are that nice sounding whistles can be had for a very modest price and are small in size. This means many whistle players have large collections.

Whistles are instruments of simple design with no moving parts. Compared to the manufacture of more complex instruments, there are few barriers to entry. This means there a lot of folks that make and sell whistles and a lot more that aspire to.

There are some unique qualities both on the demand side, and the supply side for whistles. However, there are musicians the world over on all instruments that lust after new "hardware" and want to talk about it.
+ Bill
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Whistles hardly have any discussion wow Mandolins is where things are discussed many many things I am also a Mando player so I know. :D
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Whistles hardly have any discussion wow Mandolins is where things are discussed many many things I am also a Mando player so I know.
Not to fault your proof-reading, but, what did you just say?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Unseen122 wrote:Whistles hardly have any discussion wow Mandolins is where things are discussed many many things I am also a Mando player so I know. :D
Nah...guitar players are the ones. They can also get nasty when their choice of weapon is questioned. The FLATPICK-L list could get pretty mean.

They'll even fight over things like pick direction--lots of arguments over DUDU vs. DUU vs. DDU. (I always prefered DUDU, but now I've learned to like DUDDUD for jigs.)

Lots of guitarists suffer from GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

TonyHiggins wrote:
Whistles hardly have any discussion wow Mandolins is where things are discussed many many things I am also a Mando player so I know.
Tony
To translate it into English, he said, "Mandolin players are better at pickin' than writin'."
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Whistlers are hardly on the map when it comes to opinionated musicians. Think of the disagreements we have. Now think of how many more moving parts a guitar has. There are that many disagreements amongst guitarists about each of them. It's much the same with mandolins. Just to take woods, there's the neck, the fretboard, different parts of the body, each likely to be made from a different wood and each with fiercely opinionated partisans who know exactly what is best. We even argue about tuning pegs.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeh, classical guitarists got whistlers beat if for nothing but sheer cost. I was often at the center of a firestorm of competing builders and fans when I managed a fine guitar store back in the 80s. Man, if you want controversy and opinions, guitarists, who seem kinda nervous and weird anyway, got whistlers beat. It was in that world that I learned to "never serve in another man's army" in stuff like that. I really did think a certain builder had a profound vision but by revealing that sentiment, I got in hot water with the other builders and their fans. Plus, my vision and ideas changed over time and I ended up eating many words and thoughts. To further define the dictum above, I found that by being "loyal" to a given builder, a dynamic was set up that was bad for everybody all around. Even if you think so-and-so is the very best whistle builder, don't fall into the trap of constantly trying to help them out with recommendations etc. Ultimately, you end up in a compromised light.

What I find most different with whistling are the number of folk who attempt to build their own. it's very daunting to build a fine guitar. You have to be a master woodworker AND finisher just for starters...then you need an internal audio/musical concept of what you are striving for. While some did try and build their own guitars, it was mostly exotic firewood for the first few tries. A far cry from pvc tubes in terms of time and cost for initial efforts.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Yep!
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
IvanP

Post by IvanP »

Fiddlers give fiddlers headaches.
Just when you think you've seen it all, the Chieftains get a new guest star!
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

My hubby says that every day...ok...he says I AM JUST WERID.....but I think it has something to do with the whistle obession...but maybe not!

It's hip to be square!
Nancy
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I also play(?) guitar and 5 string banjo. The whistle discussions are a walk in the park compared to these two instruments and they are a lot more than $10.

Ron
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Darwin wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:
Tony
To translate it into English, he said, "Mandolin players are better at pickin' than writin'."
This one is. :D