opinions on the shaw low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ash.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

opinions on the shaw low D

Post by Ash. »

Are there any shaw low D players/owners out there...i'm thinking
of getting one and i'd be interested in hearing some opinions on its
general playability...how it compares to other low's etc.
'Better to learn with your whole body
so you'll remember with your whole body'

Don juan matus.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

You'll need good lungs!!
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

well, I bought an early Shaw low D (around 1990) and I never got to like it. In the end I gave it away. Too much air needed, the wooden fipple expanded and got slimy when it was wet, and I kept getting cramp in my hands. I wouldn't recommend it, but then I haven't seen or played any newer models, which may be better.

I have a low D Alba now, which I like a lot. I'd check out Dale's review of that.

brian
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Indeed, lungs essential, it takes a goodly amount of air!

The Shaw was the first Low D I bought (but not the last by any means). I seldom play it these days. Occasionally I'll get it out and give it a try, but in truth I prefer my Overton and Alba, so the Shaw rarely gets an outing now.

The Shaw has a breathy tone, some say "flute-like". I find on mine the second octave needs a really good blow to keep it stable or it drops back into the first register...

I've heard great things about the Jerry Tweaked Shaws though, and if you're keen on acquiring a Shaw Low D especially, then have a word with Jerry rather than go for the 'store-bought' model would be my 2p.

There are a couple of things about this Low D I did like when I got it...the tone-holes are small and for me were easily reached. Also, it's very lightweight, and has good volume (a lot louder than the Overton I bought later, for example).

I didn't like the 'finish' very much though. It looked rough and it soon tarnished. Also, be aware that the Shaw has a wooden fipple block, so unlike an all-metal, plastic, or indeed all wood whistle, it won't last forever... one expert opinion I received was that Shaws will likely need replacing after about 5 years of regular playing... Mine doesn't get played regularly and I've only had it about 9 months so can't comment on its longevity.

Finally, it really depends on what qualities you're looking for in a Low whistle and whether or not the Shaw will meet your requirements.

Hope this helps
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I have one. Jerry tweeked. I really liked it at first, but it doesn't get played that much now. Even tweeked ,it takes a fair amount of air. Breathy, flutey tone. The reach and feel is fantastic. Fast. Fits in your hands like a wine glass. Sometimes I extend the blade with a bit of tac and thin plastic shim. Sometimes not. Makes it more flutelike, and uses less breath, but changes the character quite a bit. It's like having two different whistles. I like it both ways.
The big shaw doesn't have that same sound of the small ones though. I think it probably needs to be made a bit more conical. The head starts out too small i think.
In short, if feels good in the hands, takes a bit more air than some, and has a cool hippy-dippy-tie-died kind of sound that can be somewhat adjustable.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I do not know if it was the "Jerry Tweak" of mine or not, but I did not like the little extentions on the tone holes. The sound of it was too raspy and breathy for us as well. As mentioned, I almost needed to attach an air compressor to it to play it. Had it less than 2 days before passing it on.

A better whistle to consider, unless you like all the things mentioned, is a Jubilee Aluminum Tunable low d. If you are interested in more information on this whistle, please contact me. I have one of them.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
KDMARTINKY

Shaw Low D

Post by KDMARTINKY »

You cannot lose with this whistle...well you may lose your breath, but the sound this hand-made whistle makes is well worth it. Dave Shaw is also a very nice person to talk to and is quick to answer any of your questions you may have. Now if this is your first Low D purchase, you may want to reconsider and the only reason I am say this is that it is a whistle you could easily get discouraged on if you are new to the Low D especially one that takes a lot of lung. If you purchase one and do get discouraged the whistles craftmanship will make up for it. Just an opinion. Did I make a sale? Just Kidding!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

A few comments:

I've done several tweaked, low D Shaws, but I rarely do them anymore. The tweaking is unpredictable due to the metal covering over the fipple block. That prevents me from being able to adjust the block, which is necessary sometimes. I can do C, D, Eb and E Shaws predictably, however. They don't have the metal covering the block.

The tonehole extensions on the low D Shaws are one of the reasons the finger reach is among the most comfortable of any low D whistle made. Dave has done something ingenious here by tricking the toneholes into thinking they're further apart than they actually are.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ash.

Post by Ash. »

Thanks for the opinions everyone...much appreciated...might give it
a rethink...just for the record i play a kerry low D at the moment
which ive had for some time and am very fond of...maybe i should
consider a Howard...or a jubilee...I'll see.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Don juan matus.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

If you have a kerry, you might think about ordering a howard head. About 40 bucks.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Ash.

Post by Ash. »

I actually did consider doing this...Apparantly the Howard mouthpiece
is a little wider than the kerry so a bit of sticky tape customising
would be in order.

Don juan matus.
Ash.

Post by Ash. »

I actually did consider doing this...Apparantly the Howard mouthpiece
is a little wider than the kerry so a bit of sticky tape customising
would be in order.

Don juan matus.
Ash.

Post by Ash. »

Don't know why that came up twice...cameup twice :)

Don juan matus.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The Shaw was the first low D that I bought.It has a very trad. 'hand made' look to it(would look great for historic/re-enactment groups)that is appealing.
it is light in weight and the finger spacing is no problem-as Jerry says,Dave Shaw has been very clever with little tubes under certain tone holes (similar to under cutting in Recorders).
The whistle DOES take quite a bit of air,but then so do all low whistles,in comparison to standard 'D' models.
I eventually sold mine when I got another conical bore low 'D'-A Copeland!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Shaw low-D is way cool. Like Kevin, I gave mine up when I got a Copeland. The thing I love about the Shaw is the sound. It has quite a bit of volume, and has that distant sound -- it's almost like listening to a Copeland that someone's playing in a tunnel. The volume is (or can be) very well balanced across the octaves. It's also possible to get mixing by overblowing the lower octave or underblowing the upper.

The actual playability of the whistle isn't my favorite. As pointed out, it takes a LOT of air, and it's downright difficult to reach the top of the second octave without any dropping. The finger holes are also a mixed blessing. It's possible for me to play it with a standard grip, but I much prefer a pipers grip. This is a problem with the Shaw, as the holes are so small and smooth that I find it difficult to feel them. The only other complaint I have is that it's also difficult to do good finger vibrato. Not a biggie, but I do use it on low whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.