Drums from Ireland?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Séan O'Neil
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Drums from Ireland?

Post by Séan O'Neil »

Hi!
On some of my CD's I always read: Bodharns and different drums from Ireland.
What are different drums from Ireland????
Séan O'Neil
djm

Post by djm »

Umm ... did you mean bodhrán? The only other drum I know of that is particularly Irish is the lambeg drum used in the north for Orange Day parades. That doesn't mean to say there mightn't be skilled drum-makers in Ireland making other styles of drums, though.

djm
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:-? :-?
Sean,
What kind of C.D's have you got????

Slan,
D.

talasiga

the first stick beaters

Post by talasiga »

dubhlinn wrote::-? :-?
Sean,
What kind of C.D's have you got????

Slan,
D.

If they be women drummers on it
then I be vindicated .....
:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
djm

Post by djm »

Avast! Ye be vindicated when we sees our horryscopes. Arr!

djm
glauber

Re: Drums from Ireland?

Post by glauber »

Séan O'Neil wrote:Hi!
On some of my CD's I always read: Bodharns and different drums from Ireland.
What are different drums from Ireland????
Bodharn is an eufemism for Bo-Damn!, a very popular instrument of rhythm confusion seen often in Irish music sessions.

I wonder if "different drums" was some kind of poetic phrase, as in "dancing to a different drummer" or "trying to ignore a drummer that beats randomly".
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

There is a group called Different Drums of Ireland.

http://www.differentdrums.co.uk/ddi.htm

They have decided to combine the bodhran and the lambeg along with others like the snare and hand and frame drums. Some might think it odd to join the drum of the north with the drum of the south but it just might be the right thing to do these days.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Séan O'Neil

Post by Séan O'Neil »

Well, as I said, I know Bodhárns, but the sound of these drums let me think that these aren't Bodhárns and on the backside of the CD is standing different drums from Ireland!
Séan O'Neil
ulster_fifer

Post by ulster_fifer »

Hello

I play the ulster fife and lambeg drum. You can listen to the fife and lambeg for the tunes 'the blackthorn stick' and 'father o'flynn' at

www.kermit.co.uk/fifedrum/

The only other drum about in ireland is the ole rattlie drum. Cant think of any other drums they could be playing.
Sean Dillon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powerhaus

Different Drums of Ireland

Post by powerhaus »

Baglady wrote:There is a group called Different Drums of Ireland.

http://www.differentdrums.co.uk/ddi.htm

They have decided to combine the bodhran and the lambeg along with others like the snare and hand and frame drums. Some might think it odd to join the drum of the north with the drum of the south but it just might be the right thing to do these days.
Hey Baglady, C n' Effers

It's Paul Marshall from Different Drums here. I was googling around and came across this thread. I am a C & F member but an infrequent visitor due to work.

The revised DDI website is http://www.differentdrums.info.

We combine the lambeg and bodhran along with traditional and other instrumentation to produce a pretty unique mix of N Irish and world influences. The melodic aspects of the band are primarily Uilleann pipes and whistles (sometimes fiddle, box & fife) along with guitar and voice. Pipes / whistles are played by Dolores O'Hare From Co Down and I play beginner NA Flute on one piece. The new CD has diverse percussive instrumentation such as the Persian Tonbak, the Wooparine, the Punjabi Dhol, Djembe, drumset & others

The band is as much about the use of instruments as metaphors for social inclusion as it is about the songs, tunes, chat and craic. Both main traditions in the North are treated with equal parity and often with equal tongue-in-cheek irreverence. The CD about to be released has a transatlantic / emigration feel as much as it has the reels and jigs you might expect and there are a couple of more unusual tracks. there are some brief MP3 clips at http://www.differentdrums.info/music.htm

Hats off to anyone who tackles pipeband drumming. I agree that it's probably the most technical form of percussion out there. I think that tabla is the most advanced but that's just one opinion.

Hey Ulster Fifer, you don't play with RD on lambeg do you? Tell him I said hello. If you ever come across any busted lambeg skins, I'll be happy to talk with you.

In terms of other drums from this neck of the woods, we have new ones, the longdrum, and my own designs, the 'Wooparine', 'Pelodaiko' www.powerhaus.net/pelodrum.htm and the 'Gemini'. http://www.drumdojo.com/bodhran.htm

The name comes from the book by M Scott Peck and work of the philosopher Henry Thoreaux, the name celebrates the co-existence of community and individuality; It's just as well we play drums!

We're off to the US next week, Irishfest in Milwaukee, Irishfair in Minneapolis and first, Big Top Bayfield WI next Thursday. Say hi if you're around.

Keep her lit!

Paul
-------------
Paul Marshall
Noise and stuff
www.bodojo.com
www.bingbangbong.info
www.differentdrums.info
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Cool to hear from you Paul. I am planning to check youse guys out at Irish Fair MN in a couple of weeks. Have your workshop and all three performances on my personal schedule. Hope to hook up for some chat maybe.
BL
PS It's in St Paul and they would get a bit wingey if you use the other city's name.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
David Levine

Drams, not drums.

Post by David Levine »

They meant drams, not drums.