OT - (Mac) How do I...?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Re: OT - (Mac) How do I...?

Post by JessieK »

dhigbee wrote:As far as file transfer of pictures from the PC to the Mac: Once you network the PCs, you could simply navigate to your photos, select them (select all), and drag or copy to the Mac.
The other computers are, indeed, networked, but I can't get to them from the Mac. It shows a Network icon, but won't go fufther than that. Arrgghhh!
~JessieD
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I'm jumping on the conversation wihtout knowing what came b4, but if you have shared windows folders, and if your Mac is OS X, then you should be able to open the shared windows folders in the Mac's Finder using the special "SMB" protocol:

Finder -> go -> server
smb://servername/sharename

HTH...

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

glauber wrote:Finder -> go -> server
I can get to the finder. I don't see any "go" or anything like that.
~JessieD
glauber

Post by glauber »

Sorry, maybe different OS version. This is what i use here, with our OS X iMac. I'm not a Mac person (mostly Unix). But keep that in mind and poke around, you may find the right menu item somewhere.
--Wellsprings--
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

JessieK wrote:Also...do I need Microsoft Office?
and Darwin wrote: It all depends on what you want to do with it. There are some other word processors around, such as Nisus Writer: http://www.nisus-soft.com/
The pre-OS X version of Nisus was very highly regarded, but the current one lacks some features much appreciated (especially by scholars). However, version 2.0 has been announced for "later this summer" and it appears to restore most or all of them.

By the way, I highly recommend their newsletter even if you don't end up buying their products. It's very entertaining!

Darwin's URL above for Nisus doesn't work for me, and if others have the same problem, try:

http://www.nisus.com/
and Darwin also wrote: If you just need a word processor, look at http://www.macuser.co.uk/labs/labs_subi ... te=macuser
Besides the new version of Nisus due out in a few months, the latest version of Office for Mac is available for a free 30-day "test drive":

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.as ... fice2004td

Word 2004 adds Unicode capability to the program, although it still won't work with languages written right-to-left (or so I've read).

An excellent word processor MacUser.UK doesn't include in their comparison is Mellel:

http://www.redlers.com/

It's particularly good for multi-lingual word processing with Unicode and a demo can be downloaded from the site (the only feature disabled is printing, unless you don't mind a great big "UNREGISTERED" watermark on your output :-)). It's an incredible bargain, too, half the price of the already quite reasonable Nisus Writer Express.

John
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

File Sharing:

As others have mentioned, turn on file sharing on the PC(s) and you should be able to access them from the Mac using the Samba (SMB) protocol. Sorry, I'm not much of an OS-X person. This _should_ be easier than doing FTP.

I don't know what your network looks like, you may need to set some networking parameters - if you have a broadband connection with a router, you'll need to tell the Mac to get its IP address and Gateway address from a (DHCP) server. That server is your router box.

Do you need Microsoft Office? Probably not. I think AppleWorks still comes with the Mac for free. It's got a pretty decent word processor and spreadsheet built in. If you have a good fast internet connection, you can download OpenOffice which is a very nice free, open source office suite. www.openoffice.org This does a pretty good job of opening Microsoft Word files, also Excel and PowerPoint. I use these applications all the time with Linux and they're very nice.

Once you're on the network, if you want to do FTP from/to an external server, you can do that from within most browsers, or you can get an FTP program. A nice one is called 'Fetch' and it's downloadable from many places. I think it's free, possibly shareware. It might have come already installed on the machine.
glauber

Post by glauber »

The current version of Open Office is very good IMHO. They fixed most of the things that were annoying in the previous version, and now it competes very well with MS Office, if you have a strong computer. Since it's Java based, the startup time is a little longer than native applications, but once it gets started it works fine.
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Bloomfield wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Get a Windows PC.

JUST KIDDING!

:lol:
Admit it, Dale: You've been dying to do that. :D
Yes. Waiting for an opportunity which finally came. Too bad it was Jessie, who I like and everything.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

JessieK wrote:
The finder is the desktop. Just click on you desktop background anywhere there isn't an icon or a window (or choose "Finder" in the dock (on the very left, the blue smiley mac face). You can tell that you are in the finder when the menu bar at the top of the screen reads "[Apple] Finder File Edit View Go Window Help" And that "Go" menu is the one Glauber means. The item is "Connect to Server", you can also hit apple-K.
/Bloomfield
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My father-in-law came over today and showed me a TON of stuff on thids Mac and he installed some software. I feel much more at ease now. Also, the recording software is pretty true in sound, so I think I'll be able to do instrument samples. I don't know where to host them, though. I think sound files need more storage space than I might have. Anyway, I feel better about the computer now. This was my first whole day with it.
~JessieD
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

JessieK wrote:
Once you have your Windows machine set up to share folders, try this on the Mac:

1) Go to the Finder. (If you're in an application, the best way to get the Finder and all of its windows forward is by clicking the blue Mac face icon in the dock. Otherwise, just click on some empty part of the desktop.)

2) Under the Go menu, select Connect to Server (down at the bottom).

3) If anything shows up in the server list for your PC, select it and click the Connect button. (You may be able to select multiple items by holding down the shift key while clicking.)

Unfortunately, I don't have any other machines running on my local network at the moment, so I can't test this. I've only ever connected to another Mac. Both PCs on our home network are unable to connect at the moment--can't get on the Internet, either.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

ChrisLaughlin wrote: Apple opted to remove such features as "copy", "paste" and "delete" . "double-click, et al, from the new OSX.
Chris
? I'm not sure I understand. I have been usung Macs since OS 6, and currently run 10.3.4 and can cut, paste ect. with no problem. No problems running older legacy software either.
Jessie, to make everything bigger go to System Preferences > Displays and select a screen resolution with smaller numbers.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Father Emmet wrote:
ChrisLaughlin wrote: Apple opted to remove such features as "copy", "paste" and "delete" . "double-click, et al, from the new OSX.
Chris
? I'm not sure I understand. I have been usung Macs since OS 6, and currently run 10.3.4 and can cut, paste ect. with no problem. No problems running older legacy software either.
Jessie, to make everything bigger go to System Preferences > Displays and select a screen resolution with smaller numbers.
Oh man, am I the only one to whom it is obvious that Chris is sh*t you guys? All he's been posting on the subject has been a take-off on the old Mac stereotypes: Macs are dumbed-down not simplified, Apple charges through the nose ($30 add-on for cut & paste), There-Are-No-Games-For-The-Mac (see the fake Switch add), yada yada yada :)
/Bloomfield
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Bloomfield wrote:Oh man, am I the only one to whom it is obvious that Chris is sh*t you guys? All he's been posting on the subject has been a take-off on the old Mac stereotypes: Macs are dumbed-down not simplified, Apple charges through the nose ($30 add-on for cut & paste), There-Are-No-Games-For-The-Mac (see the fake Switch add), yada yada yada :)
Oh, that's okay, then. After all, where would poor Bill Gates be without his minions reporting bogus Weapons of Mac Destruction? :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe