Eric Rigler played the bagpipes at Ronald Reagan interment

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

Jesus! (or 'St. Ronnie of the Massacres'!),

It's a damning inditement of the modern world when such a man can be considered a saint... and I'm talking about his movies here, the politics (or rather the human toll incurred on foreign soils in the name of the stability of the comparitively rich) is another matter for St. Peter to brood over (Leonard Cohen puts it rather well when he sings about "overturning the order of the soul"... you can't count that in collateral damage reports, and it's pervasive) . Of course in Ireland he would have been much more popular if he'd merely been in cahoots with Satan, Maggie T being much less desirable than the fiery fellow (who after all is a well regarded patron of The Blues).

Mouth blown sqeelers, Reagan (admittedly some sort of an irishman If I remember my state visits correctly), seagull taxidermy, SDI...How many levels of 'off-topic' have we skirted so far???

What will the inevitable movie be called- "Reagan: When Left Wingers go Bad"?

Regards,

HB.
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

Mr Conners please notice that if you half close your eyes your avatar of Ronnie looks just like the little bloke from the TV programme"Different Strokes".
"What You talking 'bout Willis"? bloke
I worked for a while in a nursing home for people with dementia's of various kinds. It is very sad how it affect ALL people.
I don't dislike Ron, I just think he was a raving mad loonatic who thankfully didn't nuke us all into oblivion :party:
He hehehe ......
but what do I know?
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
glauber

Post by glauber »

Harry wrote:It's a damning inditement of the modern world when such a man can be considered a saint...
Just as much as some of the old time saints were a damning indictment of the old world, i guess! :)

At least Reagan was Irish! :lol:

Hey, it isn't my fault! I'm Brazilian.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
No E

Post by No E »

As Harry has so eloquently pointed out, this has gone WAY off topic (and yes, I'm as guilty as anyone), so let's put this one to bed.

-Larry
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Ronnie could dance a mean Samba by all accounts :wink:
Hi, I'm benwalker and I strongly disapprove of rubbish Cowboys :P
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

mconners wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:amen peter.
"If Oleo and Peter would like some insight into the man and why some people (electoral landslide in '84) thought him a good man " american politics=lowest common denominator
[thats me talkin' folks, oleoresinator]
"For the record, I liked his politics. I realize that lots of people didn't like his politics but from what I can gather he had substance to his character and respected people no matter what their station."

" If the bloodbath must come, then let's get on with it!"
Gov. Ronald W. Reagan to the U.C. Board of Regents. substance and character indeed.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Ronald and Margaret had a special relationship.
I wonder if Eric will pipe her out too?
"The Lady is not for turning". Pity as she would be rather too crispy without turning at least a couple of times.(poor taste!)
Here in the UK most people remember Ronald the Raygun with the same affection as rabbits remember Mixamatosis (please feel free to correct the spelling).
OK i'm done dis-ing the Re-Ron.
I do think dimentia is a terrible affliction and seriously would not want ANYONE to have to live with that. In a way Ron was harmless enough. I suppose he was just following orders. Perhaps I am being to hard on poor old Ronnie?
Better a harmless looney then the ignorant twat that sits on the throne at the moment.Be Afraid..... Be Very Afraid :devil:
Yes the thread has gone up the creek.
Isn't piping great :wink:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

myxomatosis.................
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Thanks Alan. I can't rant and spell simultaneously (as you can see)
How was the liver destruction? :party:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

oleorezinator wrote:
" If the bloodbath must come, then let's get on with it!"
Gov. Ronald W. Reagan to the U.C. Board of Regents. substance and character indeed.
I know it's time for this thread to die, but thanks for bringing up that quote. Reagan's sins as president have been covered pretty well, but few have mentioned his tumultuous days as governor of California in the 1960s.

My father, who was a minister in Berkeley at the time, was tear-gassed and beaten senseless by the National Guard, courtesy of then-Governor Reagan.

My favorite story from this period (I think it was in late- '68 or '69) was when Reagan ordered National Guard helicopters to drop tear gas on a massive anti-war demonstration being held on the UC Berkeley campus. The helicopters missed their target and wound up dropping much of their payload on...

-a bunch of physics majors eating lunch
-my father and my two brothers
-a nearby hospital.

But he always seemed pretty likeable on TV...And let's not forget Nancy's very special appearance on "Diff'rent Strokes." Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

What an honor that must have been for him and how did his nerves stand it?

From what I have been seeing from the former USSR establishment, the soviets knew they were in trouble when he fired the air controllers and busted PATCO.

They saw a president say he would do something, then he would follow through and actually do it.

SDI defeated the USSR without firing a shot and caused the Berlin wall to fall. It toppled them because they couldn't compete.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

yeah right :lol:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

At least your multiple personalities all agree with yourself Ben!!

The end of the CW wasn't about defeat, I mean there wasn't even a war, just an arms race, in which all parties were as guilty as each other..... and 'peace' was brought about by unilateral negotiation.

The words Greenham Common keep popping into my head for some reason. :roll:

It's common knowledge Maggie refused the kinky rubber Ghaddafi suit stuff if Ron didn't do as she said, so really, actually, the Brits are the world saviours. And we're better mates with the Germans..........<tongue in cheek, sarcasm, with a hint of seriousness behind the eyes emoticon>

Alan
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I's got me thinkin' 'ead on!
EEE messer Burton, i's one and tha same aspect. Ask ole Worzel :boggle:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org