Estimates of Uilleann Pipers in the U.S.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
GELivesay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GELivesay »

I know this question has been asked many times but does anyone have a good estimate about how many Uilleann pipers here in the US? I remember the UP list doing a survey awhile back and I'm sure David Daye has done similar things along with NPU and the membership from the US but I don't recall ever seeing the actual figures. I get asked all the time and usually tell folks about 50,000 players Worldwide but I don't really believe that number is even close. So can someone post a fair estimate?
Gary
Middle Georgia
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I don't know that you could ever get a number close to reality actually. There are SO many pipers I've met over the past couple of years that are either occasional players, or just don't have any desire to connect to other pipers or traditional musicians that they remain completely isolated. It seems that in many cases the fact that I met them was a sheer coincidence.

I would think that any hard number of uilleann pipers presented would still be grossly underestimated. Now if the question was professional pipers, or active, dues paying pipers in clubs, you might be able to get a bit closer to the mark then. Still it could be anyone's guess.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Just to be a snot:

do you mean uilleann pipers or uilleann pipe owners? :twisted:
GELivesay

Post by GELivesay »

Pat, I mean those that put forth the effort to play Uilleann pipes in a manner that respects those that have passed before us.

Brian is right as well, if a number could be gotten from the various clubs, tionols, irish trad. bands, etc that would probably give a reasonable number to spread to folks that ask the question.
Gary
Middle Georgia
Paul

Post by Paul »

Whatever the worldwide number of Uilleann Pipers is there aren't too many in Georgia so far as I know.
mconners

Post by mconners »

At the Chicago Tionol in '99 there were photos taken of the players present and there was some mention made of a NPU sponsored census of some sort. I wonder what happened to those photos...

Remember that there will be some folks who are members of more than one piping club.

Last post I made on the UP email list went to 266 subscribers.

I think the 50,000 number is a little high, IMO, and no evidence to back it up.

All the best.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ya know Paul, the actual number might supprise you - it's FINDING that number that's the kicker.

Two years ago, I knew of only one other piper in the state. Now we have fifteen in our group and we met about four more at the Scottish festival this past weekend who may join up as well. I never would have thought there were as many here as there are!

Bri~
GELivesay

Post by GELivesay »

Yeah I Know 50K is probably too high for Worldwide but it would be nice to have a number that had some backing by NPU, and the other various lists, clubs etc.
Gary
Middle Georgia
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Pat Cannady wrote:Just to be a snot:

:lol: You beat me to it.

On a related note, I wonder how many good Uilleann Pipers have more than one set in good working order, and how many UP owners have more than one set.

I think it was Denis Brooks who estimated there were less than 50 uillean pipers in the US and Canada in the late 70's--early 80's. The little octupi have been making a lot of whoopie since then.
GELivesay

Post by GELivesay »

Lorenzo wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:Just to be a snot:

:lol: You beat me to it.

On a related note, I wonder how many good Uilleann Pipers have more than one set in good working order, and how many UP owners have more than one set.

I think it was Denis Brooks who estimated there were less than 50 uillean pipers in the US and Canada in the late 70's--early 80's. The little octupi have been making a lot of whoopie since then.
I wondered about that too but for the moment I'd like to get a handle on just how many of us are in the US. I only have a half-set (Koehler and Quinn) but hope to get the rest of it in the next couple years. Maybe get a nice flat set along the way from them as well.

I guess the question is brought on by being part of such a small number of folks, it's sort of cool to tell people that you are one of 500 in the US or one of xx in your state. I know here in Georgia of only about 6 UP'ers that are out and about in the public and involved with the various organizations.
Gary
Middle Georgia
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

mconners wrote:At the Chicago Tionol in '99 there were photos taken of the players present and there was some mention made of a NPU sponsored census of some sort. I wonder what happened to those photos...
Are these the ones you mean? Ah yes, back in the days of innocence :oops:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_ ... ml#chicago

Patrick.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Paul wrote:Whatever the worldwide number of Uilleann Pipers is there aren't too many in Georgia so far as I know.
I know of 9 in GA (this includes you and me)...so 8 others...assuming I would count as a 'piper' :)

Starting to get a critical mass, and there may be others who are in isolation as mentioned before.

Hey, if they can get 15 pipers in Utah, we ought to be able to have at least that number in Georgia....we do have a bit of Irish ancestry/history around here.

Regards,
Gary
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

OMG...Hopefully no recordings survive :lol: That was a lot of tunes, a lot of CDs, a lot of sessions, and practicing in dark rooms ago.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

snoogie wrote: Hey, if they can get 15 pipers in Utah, we ought to be able to have at least that number in Georgia....we do have a bit of Irish ancestry/history around here.

Gary
Hey Gary - was that a poke at us backwards cultured, multi-wife toting, seagull worshiping, salt water taffy eating pipers???? :devil:

Cause we're gaining speed man! We may just come down there some day in a storm of tumbleweeds and brine shrimp droppings and have to duke it out! :D :) Just watch your backs!

We have THONGS Baby! And we KNOW HOW TO USE 'EM!!! *MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!*
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Hey Gary - was that a poke at us backwards cultured, multi-wife toting, seagull worshiping, salt water taffy eating pipers???? :devil:

Do you really eat sea faring Welshmen :wink:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org