state funeral relief

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

state funeral relief

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by L42B »

:( :( :( :(

L42B
brianc

Post by brianc »

I offer my pity to the poor soul whose sense of humor is inspired by the death of a good man.
Harry

Post by Harry »

That 'humourous' avatar at the expense of the dignity of the cock-eyed is really in bad taste. Look that man straight in the eye and tell me I'm wrong.

Sincerellelly,

HB.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

brianc wrote:I offer my pity to the poor soul whose sense of humor is inspired by the death of a good man.
Pray for me Brian.My soul must be damned.
Am I a sick and twisted individual? :twisted: Hell yes I must be :moreevil: :twisted: :twisted:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
djm

Post by djm »

I don't wish harm on anyone, or normally speak badly of the recently departed (unless they deserve it, of course), but I must confess I am a bit surprised at this big todo about Reagan at his death. I never heard Americans say anything nice about him when he was in power (in fact, the humour about Reaganomics and Starwars was pretty acerbic). So how come this big outpouring of sentiment now?

djm
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

djm wrote:So how come this big outpouring of sentiment now?

djm
I don't understand it either...

Now if I was into conspiracy theories, it seems to me that it was an awful coincidence that Mr. R died just at the same time as the G-8 meeting.

Notice that the press paid no attention to the goings on at the G-8. They were too busy flying helicopters to chase the hearse from the funeral home to the airport. It looked like a repeat of the OJ bronco chase.

I couldn't believe the huge waste of money and so called journalism following that minute piece of 'news'.

All the big ta-do diverted attention from something else...the hand is quicker than the eye as they say. :roll:
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I dunno, but for me, there's just something about kicking the dead that seems tasteless and disrespectful. Now if he were still alive and president, I'd be putting my steel-toed boots back on.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

snoogie wrote:
Now if I was into conspiracy theories, it seems to me that it was an awful coincidence that Mr. R died just at the same time as the G-8 meeting.

Notice that the press paid no attention to the goings on at the G-8. They were too busy flying helicopters to chase the hearse from the funeral home to the airport.

Go on 'Snoogie', you don't have to be into conspircay theories to know that your Government manipulates the presentation of 'World Affairs' by your media, under the direction of multinationals etc.,. I reckon you're spot on!

I find it hard to believe your country hasn't just had a revolution and burned the whole corporate whoredom to the floor.
But then again, that's 'cos I'm a people person, not a money man.....

Alan
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Joseph, I agree and did not intend to condone the slamming of the deceased. My point was that the media made it seem that his elevation to Saint-hood was right around the corner. These are the same media that gave him such a hard time when he was in office.

Alan, yeah if I want a perspective on international events, I never read a US paper. I go on the internet to the Hong Kong or London papers and see what they are saying. The US media is amazingly inept (maybe by design?) at reporting on world events.

I learned that lesson after traveling throughout Asia and Europe on business...reading those papers and then returing home to find that nothing of whatever the event of the day was had been communicated in the US.

Uh, oh...you got me started on one of my peeves..what I call the psuedo-journalism of our time. Camera pans back to show some guy standing in front of a building saying "Well, we HEARD that there MIGHT be some news going on inside, but no one is talking about it so we don't really KNOW anything. Check back with me in 5 minutes and I'll update you on what else has NOT happened."

I guess this is much easier and cheaper to do than find a real story, understand it and then communicate it...which is what I thought journalism was all about.

Have a nice day!
-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Snoogie wrote: "Uh, oh...you got me started on one of my peeves..what I call the psuedo-journalism of our time. Camera pans back to show some guy standing in front of a building saying "Well, we HEARD that there MIGHT be some news going on inside, but no one is talking about it so we don't really KNOW anything. Check back with me in 5 minutes and I'll update you on what else has NOT happened."
--------------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is exactly it! But most of the stations down here in Davenport feature a heavily made up woman with a Jennifer Aniston hairdo, a dung eating grin and wild staring eyes reporting 'no news' in a voice that would suggest they they haven't been taking enough fiber as of late. No matter the story, its the same look and the same tone of voice. Very creepy and very irritating.
marcpipes

The unmentioned other death of a great man

Post by marcpipes »

If we want to pay tribute to the dead, lets talk about a cool one. Someone who will be greatly missed did die last week.
:cry: Ray Charles. 8) :cry:
I don't think this will cause much flame war hazzard, but on here, who knows.
He heard an angelic choir and a deep voice saying,"Ray, come towards the light. No Ray over here. RAY! THE LIGHT IS OVER HERE!"
:oops: I know. Bad. :oops:
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: The unmentioned other death of a great man

Post by oleorezinator »

marcpipes wrote:If we want to pay tribute to the dead, lets talk about a cool one. Someone who will be greatly missed did die last week.
:cry: Ray Charles. 8) :cry:
I don't think this will cause much flame war hazzard, but on here, who knows.
He heard an angelic choir and a deep voice saying,"Ray, come towards the light. No Ray over here. RAY! THE LIGHT IS OVER HERE!"
:oops: I know. Bad. :oops:
Marc
a little later, ray is standing in line at the pearly gates and wonders who's in front of him. so ray reaches forward and starts touching the face of the person in front of him. brother ray can't quite tell who it is and asks "who are you?" ronald reagan turns around and says " i don't know?" :lol:
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

djm wrote:I don't wish harm on anyone, or normally speak badly of the recently departed (unless they deserve it, of course), but I must confess I am a bit surprised at this big todo about Reagan at his death. I never heard Americans say anything nice about him when he was in power (in fact, the humour about Reaganomics and Starwars was pretty acerbic). So how come this big outpouring of sentiment now?

djm
How do you account for the popular votes he got, not even counting the landslide in the Electoral College?

Could it possibly be because his economic policy actually worked and even better than the JFK tax cuts?

And that SDI destroyed the USSR without firing a shot?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

SDI destroyed the USSR? :roll:

Rewriting the history of Ronnie's term seems all the rage now. Yes he was popular, and yes he did some good things, but the man was far from a saint and hardly what the majority of people would consider a Hero.

I'm not going to go into detail because honestly I don't agree with bashing the recently departed. Let's just say that I think it would serve the public better to have a more balanced representation of Reagan and what his administration did.

To go on about the status of being a "hero" these days, it seems to me like it's been terribly diminished by all the people the media labels as a hero. It seems like to the media all it takes is being somewhat popular and dying by some method (preferably some dehabilitating disease or "tragic" accident). There are soldiers dying every day in Iraq who deserve this status far more than Ronald and most of them rarely get their names and/or pictures on the news much less a ridiculously expensive national/state funeral.

Anyhow, I suppose I should stop. I won't offer my views on the war or go on about politics. This board isn't about politics and peoples's views are varied (thankfully) and often set (unfortunately) so arguments rarely win people over. So back to music!

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.