Flared bottoms

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flared bottoms

Post by OBrien »

Can anyone tell me what effect flaring the bottom end of a whistle body will have on the tone or tuning of the whistle?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sorry...I thought this was about pants. (In which case the answer is: the better to get stuck in bicycle chains.)

I suspect it's cosmetic in the case of whistles.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

[quote="emmline"]Sorry...I thought this was about pants. (In which case the answer is: the better to get stuck in bicycle chains.)

:D :D
In this neck of the woods,pants are what you wear underneath your trousers.......
:D :D

Slan,
D.
John S
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John S »

Elasticised waist trousers, a Godsend to the flared-bottomed.

I don't know of any whistle or flute type instrument that has this feature, so I'm guessing it is no advantage.

John S
glauber

Re: Flared bottoms

Post by glauber »

O'Brien wrote:Can anyone tell me what effect flaring the bottom end of a whistle body will have on the tone or tuning of the whistle?
AFAIK, at least with flutes, it's done to strenghten the low octave notes.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

John S wrote:
I don't know of any whistle or flute type instrument that has this feature, so I'm guessing it is no advantage.
Harper whistles have a flared bell. Whilst I know of no advantage it certainly doesn't seem to do them any harm.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The flared ends on some whistles are functional -- Swayne, Bleazey, and Rose, for example, are conical bore instruments, and as Glauber said, those have flared ends to balance the octaves.

AFAIK, the flared ends on cylindrical-bore whistles, Harper is the only one that comes to mind, are purely cosmetic.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

...,,and Tully silver whistles so I'd guess Mr Tully would know the answer.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

[quote="emmline"]Sorry...I thought this was about pants. "

Sorry, I thought this was about butts.....

Oh, never mind :roll:

Mary
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

the weston whistle i tried (a hi d) that norcal has coordinated a whistle tour for also has a flared bottom. it was a positive addition to a cool looking whistle.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

tomcat wrote:the weston whistle i tried (a hi d) that norcal has coordinated a whistle tour for also has a flared bottom. it was a positive addition to a cool looking whistle.
All of Simon's copper whistles have a flare at the bottom. I do not know if this is functional to his design or not.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Some answers are a bit confusing... but so was the question.

Are we talking of an external flare, or one affecting the bore?

Some conical whistles have a flared bell end outside shape: see Swayne, Le Coant (soprani and alti), Bleazey, Sweet "professional".

This is a purely functional, mechanical desig, to strengthen the wood where it's more likely to get a shock and develop a crack. You may also put a silver ring instead, and then keep a cylindrical shape (or conical, narrowing down) if you put a metal ferrule at the tip. This is the case for Le Coant Low D, or the Sweet Kilhoury (both older straight bore or new, conical).
And of course, many cylindrical bore whistles do that, including the Rose which is not conical.

Now a few whistles, all metal FAIK, have a bell flare. Tullys', Harpers' come to mind. It will mean a longer tube for the same tuning. I never played either, but and I can't see why this mostly cosmetic detail could adversely affect the tone.
And since I read somewhere Mr Harper's bazaar to be a firearms shop, it seems only logical he went for his...
"escopette" design. ;)

Now since we know as of recently there's more than one cross-fippler in this community, you need a Trichterflöte by Adler-Heinrich, dear Abner and Friedrich...

And if this wan't bad enough for you, here's a "tonette", Bernadette.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Zubivka wrote: And if this wan't bad enough for you, here's a "tonette", Bernadette.
I grew up in a house with something very similar to this. It was called a "song flute" and was slightly narrower, with a bit less flare at the end.
In '67 my brother got a re*****r at school. Light brown.
In '69 I got a re*****r at school. Dark brown.
But in '68 the county school system must have either been experimenting, or on a tight budget, because my sister got the song flute.

It's still around. Wonder what it'd go for on eBay?

and don't call me Bernadette, Zoob
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

New Tonettes are easy to find. I saw some recently at Restoration Hardware for around $8.00.

Jef
emmline

Post by emmline »

But see...I would be offering a genuine, original, 1960's school issue "song flute!" Who wouldn't want that?