My first real OT: Weird Things Kids Say

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My first real OT: Weird Things Kids Say

Post by sturob »

OK, so some of you know I'm an anesthesiologist. Blah blah.

So today there was this medical student in the my room, someone attached to the plastic surgeon in some manner, but she got all bored with the surgery (as did I) and came over and asked me to explain how my anesthetic machine worked. We went through that, talked about drugs, pharmacology, physiology, and she looked at one of the drug pumps, and said, "Oh, what's that you're infusing?"

"Um, that's remifentanil. It's a narcotic, kinda like ultra-short-acting morphine," I say.

"Oh, you mean like for euthanasia?" she quips.

Now, rarely am I at a loss for words. But I was. So I said, "Um, yeah, I suppose, um, sure, yes, narcotic infusions might be used for euthanasia."

She said, "Oh, OK."

WOW. Random. Had to share. Does that come across as totally psycho to anyone else?

Stuart
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It gets weirder the more I think of it. I'd keep an eye on that one.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Is the intern from Holland?
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Oh, wierd things my kids says
hmmmmm
well, there's !@#%^@#$^#^@@!&&!!!!
and %*(E$%^@!%!^!!!!!!, #$!@^#&, and @!&&^)(*&^%$!!!
I don't even know what @!&&^)(*&^%$!!! means. I'm pretty sure it's bad though.
Does anyone know what a *&%$##$@()*!!! is?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
mconners
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mconners »

My wife and I have 4yo and 2yo daughters, and a third due in August.

Anyways...

We took a car trip recently and the 4yo had a toy that played the song "John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt". Samantha is getting better at singing along with the tunes but her rendition has the name as "John Jacob Jingleheimersh*t".

The wife and I stifled the laughs, continued driving and eventually made the lyric correction.

All's well that ends well.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, at nine weeks of age, my daughter doesn't speak yet...but last night she projectile vomitted clear over herself and her carrier and into my husband's dinner! She has gone up to 8 feet on other occasions.

Hey, it IS about stuff coming out of kids' mouths!

:lol:
~JessieD
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

At least she did not say ....buthanasia :o (a product used for euthansia......in animals)

I would have really been freaked at that!

Still, all in all, it would be a pretty disturbed mind that would come up with that thought.

You better keep tabs on this one, so you can warn us if she actually does end up "practicing medicine". That's one I do not want as my doc.[/b]
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

fancypiper wrote:Is the intern from Holland?
Or from Oregon?

Kids will say odd things, though. When our cat, Khani, died, our veterinary office sent us a lovely sympathy card, which I put on the piano. It had a sweet picture on the front of a cat sleeping in the sun. My daughter (8 at the time) came home from school, saw the card and asked "who sent the card with the dead cat on it?"

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

JessieK wrote:Well, at nine weeks of age, my daughter doesn't speak yet...but last night she projectile vomitted clear over herself and her carrier and into my husband's dinner! She has gone up to 8 feet on other occasions.

Hey, it IS about stuff coming out of kids' mouths!

:lol:
Wow! Wow!!! With a little training she could go ten feet easy! Maybe 20 by the time she's ready for school!
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Want a nice thing -- touching, even -- from a little kid, also during surgery? (The kid was younger than sturob's wannabe MD, that is . . .)

I started my oncology-research career working in pediatric oncology. While helping manage one trial, we got a family whose young daughter needed a bone marrow transplant. She was perhaps six years old. Her older brother -- I think eight years old -- turned out to be a good match. So the parents and we on staff sat down with the boy and explained that we could save the girl's life with his help, and talked a bit about the surgery. The boy agreed, very solemnly as I remember, and a date for the surgery was set.

Later, as we prepared for the surgery, getting ready to put the young boy under to extract his marrow, he turned and said, "Will it hurt when I die?"

"What?", asked a doctor, surprised.

So we talked to the little boy a bit more . . .

It turned out that this little eight year old had thought, for some time, that he was going to be killed to allow his younger sister to live. That we were going to sacrifice him, take some vital life force, and give it to his sister so she might live. And he had been perfectly willing to make that sacrifice, the entire time. He really thought he was going to die, and that his sister would live because of it, and that he'd been asked by his parents and doctors to make that sacrifice. And still, he said "yes".

Oof.

There was a little constrained laughter as the situation was explained to him again (as well as it can be, to such a young kid), but more tears than anything as people realized what this kid had thought was going to happen. He was a brave, generous boy, and his parents were very proud thereafter (even more proud, I mean). It was probably the most moving moment I've experienced in my career, in which I've been lucky (or unlucky, depending on the direction of movement) enough to have a number of moving moments.

Anyway, maybe this can serve as an antidote to medical students who seem to be asking about nice ways to kill, rather than save, their patients. Although I'm a little conflicted in the euthanasia debate -- still thinking my way through that briar patch -- that *does* seem a little odd, for a student to ask that question during a surgery. Keep the keys away from her.
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's an amazing story Herbi!

I have a more mundane one:
My daughter, at age 4, insisted she wanted a banana even when I tried to assure her that it was unripe and would not taste good.
I relented to prove the point...she peeled it, with difficulty, took a small bite, and said, "It turned out to be a cucumber."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My little one had a tummy bug a month or so ago. She was eating dinner and all of a sudden, right amidbite, she vomited, right down her front. She said, "The food was inside my tummy, now it's outside my tummy!"
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber

Re: My first real OT: Weird Things Kids Say

Post by glauber »

sturob wrote:So today there was this medical student in the my room, someone attached to the plastic surgeon in some manner
They can correct this with surgery, now.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

where were they attached? We have a couple of people where I work who are attached by the nose to our supervisor's spinctor. They have been sugically removed twice now, but they keep growing back.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:sniffle:
I agree with Em, that story from Herbivore is wonderful and very moving and now for my little contribution.

Some years ago my son was told he could not keep the family cat in his bedroom at night because little boys did not sleep with animals. Looking towards the Christmas crib,for it was that time of the year, he replied " well baby Jesus had pets in his room."
His mother looked at me with that "You can answer this one look"...,
"Yeah", sez I," and look where he ended up"
Her reply was not something I would care to post on a family page!

Slan,
D.
:wink: