O.T. . . Staying Focussed !!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tony pearson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tony pearson »

Dear All
I've noticed over the past weeks (or months maybe) the incidence of O.T. Subjects gradually rising (Now about 50% of the top 10 Subjects on this Forum)

If you add to that the one startling statistic of those top 10 subjects . . . the fact that about 80% of all recent replies have been O.T. - I find myself stroking my stubble and going HMMMM ! more and more often.

I need to ask . . . 'Guys 'n' Gals. . . are we losing it ?!'

Tony P
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Tony,
did you vote for Mira or for that other totty?

Damn! I was hoping to make it onto page 2 with this post. :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-02-28 15:39 ]</font>
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Tony, isn't this the same topic of the thread titled, "What's really sickening (OT)(TROLL)(RANT)"?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I was going to post some flip reply to this, but in thinking about it, I decided to put on my serious hat.

Just the other day I was exchanging email with Our Esteemed Moderator, and mused upon whether an appropriate thread might be "What is Your Perceived Goal for This Message Board?" I think that this thread in effect asks that question, so I'm going to answer it.

For me, this board is to (1) exchange whistle info, (2) exchange musical info (3) interact with others of like mind (4) destress.

I have not posted pictures of my pets, but mostly because I haven't taken any pictures of my pets. I haven't asked for prayers for my niece who is intensive care, mostly because I don't think prayer is an issue (and she's doing marvelously, I might add!).

I have met some wonderful people in person and in email. Bought and sold instruments. Gotten (and NOT gotten) assistance with tunes. Blown off steam (any of you techies want to help with a fax issue? we're having the devil of a time trying to fax internally to a Canon EP2000). Watched silly arguments and nasty exchanges. Come to respect some really cool young folk. Learned about the physics of sound (delicious, Thomas!) and community politics. . .

As long as a topic is labeled with an appropriate title, and OT is clearly stated, I'm ultra-happy with that. If friendly exchanges and OT banter is discouraged. . .well, I will be too.

Please don't do that.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've watched it for years--the board
cycles through this and that phase,
then onto something else, then back
again. No rhyme, no reason. Old
Man River, That Old Man River....
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2002-02-28 16:47, tyghress wrote:
For me, this board is to (1) exchange whistle info, (2) exchange musical info (3) interact with others of like mind
Completely agree.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Jim's right. Give it time, in a little while topics will migrate back to strictly whistle oriented things. And, many of the same questions that have been asked countless times will be asked again. That's the beauty of this board. It's a great community here, and very helpful to those who are new to the whistle. It's helped me a lot in days past.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Sara

Post by Sara »

tyghress,
Well said and I completely agree!

Peace everyone,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Yep, I suspect much of the OT/Relevant cycle actually has to do with the fact that occasionally people just get a bit bored with tweaking fipple blades and the ABC's to "Down by the Sally Gardens." Chaos reigns for a while among people who maybe don't feel like serious whistle discussion for the moment, but enjoy each other's company and so just make up wierd things to talk about. OK.

Before long, though, the cycle comes around again and we'll be serious again. I personally enjoy both phases. And there's always a little of both going on.

But I still think the moon phase has something to do with it, too...

Tom

p.s. By the way, what exactly IS a Sally Garden? Whatever it is, that tune is down by them.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-02-28 18:17, WyoBadger wrote:
p.s. By the way, what exactly IS a Sally Garden? Whatever it is, that tune is down by them.
I was in a place called Sally's Cross. . .there was a garden there, but it may not have been Sally's.

p.s.-no, I'm not being flip...I was there! I think its a part of Kanturk.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

But I still think the moon phase has something to do with it, too...
I never bought that moon phase business as an excuse for berserkness. Some people have suggested that the moon's gravity pulls on the fluids in our brains like it does to the tides. It seems to me that effect would be most pronounced when the moon was on the same side of the planet as the sun (ie during a solar eclipse). Then the combined gravitation of the sun and moon would really warp your brain. So, like, the earth is pulling our brains toward our feet in a big way, and occasionally, the moon's weaker gravity pulls our brains upward. Is that a bad thing? A little variety sounds good to me. And what about when you lie down? Then everything falls backward or sideways. Maybe I'm way off and it's a magnetic phenomenon. Do people get wacky when the auroras and sunspots get active? Or is it the wavelengths of light reflected from the moon? Anyway, if everyone would follow my example and wear tinfoil on their heads, there'd be no problem.
Tony
(got to cut back on playing those aluminum whistles.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-02-28 19:32 ]</font>
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I see it this way: Suppose we all lived near each other and someone threw a party and we all went to the party and got to meet each other. I would hope like HECK that the conversation wouldn't be "strictly about whistles." Chiff & Fipple has never been strictly about whistles. Never wanted to be. Never will be. It's about whistles, whistle players, the related cultures and about all kinds of other nonsense that has nothing to do with it. One of the most frequent emails I get asks, essentially, "hey, what's up with the Crystal People?"

Dale
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

There are other traditional music and whistle-specific boards that are much more focused - and very much smaller. This isn't a whistle board so much as it's a whistle community. Communities are seldom monodimensional other than the ones that sell flowers in airports. I like hearing about Sara's birthday gifts or Anna's civic disobedience and everything else that happens here.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well maybe we need a "Non-whistle" or "General Discussion" board.

Those kinds of boards are always the craziest, and thus, always the most fun. A tad explosive at times, but that just makes it more fun!

jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Even Congress takes a break. Though I wish they wouldn't.