Celestial YAWNNNNNNNN

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

lollycross wrote:It reminds me of an early Star Trek episode when all the Greek "gods" just spread themselves thin and vanished in the wind cause the
people didn't need them any more.
Yes, that was in the real Star Trek, not the bastardized imitations they have these days. :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Cool shot!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The best views were in the middle east, I understand.

Back in the late 70s during my first public school teaching job, there was a beautiful comet with two tails, and a 99% eclipse of the sun. I borrowed the reflector telescope from the school and it would fill the entire field of view. It was much bigger than Hale-Bopp.

My Mom saw the 1910 Halley comet (she was 10) and it covered the entire sky from horizon to horizon for a couple of nights, she said.

I had my science class make pinhole camera viewboxes to view it. They didn't get any time out of class, though, because the eclipse was on the weekend.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm always a bit wary of watching celestial events after reading Day of the Triffids at an early age.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

It was clearly visible here although I only saw it on TV news. On the big red orb was a moving black dot. That's what you missed. The dot was small enough to have been very missable without a powerful telscope.

BTW, isn't that what you were expecting to see? What were you expecting to see?

For my part, I'd rather see a humble black dot than any number of virtual film spectaculars.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Martin Milner wrote:I'm always a bit wary of watching celestial events after reading Day of the Triffids at an early age.
I seem to remember that it was the triffids coming in your window that was the major worry. But then, I only saw the movie.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Here's a good twilight shot of Hale-Bopp that was made into a rather spectacular poster. Not sure if this was before the Nikes-n-koolaid crowd from lalaLand boarded or not.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ip970759.html

Martin: I know whence you're coming. I always feel a transitory wince as I look at any sky phenomenon. Wonder where one might get a Triffid gun?

Wombat: Get the book from a library. If all you saw was the movie, you might as well not have bothered.
Last edited by Chuck_Clark on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
Wombat: Get the book from a library. If all you saw was the movie, you might as well not have bothered.
I know half of what you mean, Chuck. That movie has the reputation around here for being one of the silliest horror movies ever made.