2nd West Coast Chiff Gathering: JUNE 5

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I have some shots too. I will post them at my stoopid Geocities/Yahoo site, but maybe Tony can place them so they come up easier than going to my site. This is supposedly a public folder

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/lan ... =bc&.view=

As you can see by Tony's last shot, drinkin Poteen and singing "All for Me Grog" did bring out the boucanier in me, even tho we had chicken for dinner. Yikes...sigh...well, maybe its a new aviator. That girl was so cute though, she hung in through all the racket we made. I felt a little funny singing the verse about the wife in Grog, though.... (Where is me wife, me noggin' noggin' wife?' She's all sold for beer and tobacco. You see her front got all worn out and her rear I kicked about," etc Always a hit in Berkeley area, that one...)
Last edited by The Weekenders on Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Wonderful pictures, Tony.

Heartwarming is an understatement. Y'all are a treasure.

Best wishes,
Jerry
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The Weekenders wrote:I have some shots too. I will post them at my stoopid Geocities/Yahoo site, but maybe Tony can place them so they come up easier than going to my site.

As you can see by last shot, drinkin Poteen and singing "All for Me Grog" did bring out the boucanier in me, even tho we had chicken for dinner. Yikes...sigh...well, maybe its a new aviator. That girl was so cute though, she hung in through all the racket we made. I felt a little funny singing the verse about the wife in Grog, though.... (Where is me wife, me noggin' noggin' wife?' She's all sold for beer and tobacco. You see her front got all worn out and her rear I kicked about," etc Always a hit in Berkeley area, that one...)
I wondered about that, too - but figured she would be more disturbed if I hauled her away (and she wouldn't get it, either). I was right - she didn't get it. And she loved your singing. Here you thought that music didn't impress the girls! :lol:

Her older sister was greatly amused by the photo, BTW. Good thing I hadn't brought her along or she might have been latched onto you like that. Or would have smacked your banjo over your head. One or the other. :twisted:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Azalin wrote:Hmmm, so what was Murphy's Mouth saying about me? As usual, he looks mad on the pictures, and I'm not quite sure if Karina is raising her eyebrows.

You guys were eating hot-dogs at your barbecue? Hope you had some mayonnaise!
Az, he's always mad if he doesn't know the tune or disapproves of how its being played. I actually got one shot of him smiling. Tried to post it but Yahoo quit at three pix...sigh..says I don't have a valid file name.

We had decent food. They were the only ones eating tube steaks, though there were some good links.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Another fine C&F gathering. First and foremost, a big Go Raibh Maith Agat to Tony for putting this event together, and to the Higgins family for being such gracious hosts. It was good to see some familiar faces, and to meet some of those I only know through the forum. I really enjoyed the diversity of instruments this time--of course whistles galore, pipes, fiddles, flutes, bones, (hey, what happened to the bodhran ensemble?) and the piano in the next room playing what seemed to all of us like dance hall music. Even the mighty xaphoon. Special applause to Aldon and his lovely, talented wife who gave us an encore hula dancing performance, KC's beautiful Chinese music, and the array of tunes by the whole lot of you. I'm always impressed by the quality of music that comes from this group, and leave with plenty of ideas for improving my whistle playing and with more tunes to learn. Kudos to Tony for not only organizing and hosting the day's activities, but for doing the majority of the bbqueing and keeping the tunes flowing all day and well into the night. Thanks to everyone and hope to see you again sometime soon.

Stephen

p.s. Charlotte (the fiddler) sends her thanx as well.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Gee guys, neat pix and it looked like a fun gathering. Maybe next time
I'll spend the 5 hours and drive over too!
Lolly
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

A guitar/banjo...eh, Weeks? I use to have one of those. I narrowed down the neck a little and turned it into a banjo/bouzouki, ADAD. The first A and D were single strings, the last two were double like a mandolin, for a total of 6 strings still. Long neck!
emmline

Post by emmline »

cool seeing some faces...you guys have lost a bit of that anonymity edge now!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Lorenzo, its a Vega Little Wonder Banjo-guitar, made about 1900.

Yes, Em, we're famous now. I'm ordering some FinsterGlints right away plus an oversize beret and ascot.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Why not a few more pictures and comments for general overkillness. Yes, 'twas fun, so much going on. More at:

http://www.tohu-bohu.com/misc/chiff0406/
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Great additional photos, Bone. (Can't have too many.) I'll add a link tonight from the Clips site, so they're accessible later.

I reviewed the minidisc and got some files onto the computer. Not done yet. The recordings are a bit rough due to wind artifact outdoors and some clipping from the settings too high indoors, but, hey, some really nice music on there. Some crazy comments I left on there for effect. (Nothing embarrassing, I don't think.)

I'll work on it this evening.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Lest y'all think my Saturday was totally devoid of whistles, I did make a brief pilgrimage to Lark in the Morning, where I fell in love with a brass Harper (until I took a look at the price!), and ultimately left with a very nice Generation Bb, which I insisted on playing at the bus stop (to the chagrin of my family).

I will try to make the next gathering, I promise!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

And it just keeps coming in.....

Tony, we would like to thank you for taking the time before everyone showed up to spend a bit of your time on us.The encouragement and insight into a couple of aspects of the music was much appreciated. Considering the scope of the event, this was extra special.

Weekenders
One of my favorite moments was watching Stout wince when we all hit various versions of the note known as "C natural approximate" simultaneously. Gloriously bad....the more tender-eared actually expected us to TUNE our whistles.. I mean, what's that all about anyway?
I did see a few of the whistlers wince when he fought back after I handed him our D fife! :boggle: Also on the song (Danny Boy): all those that were playing it did it WITHOUT sheet music. That seems to imply having played it quite a bit prior to the event. Hmmmmm, anyone care to comment on the hidden meaning behing this?

Darwin
I was actually completely cured of WhOA.
pftt
between my Burke DAN and my Busman bloodwood, I already have more than enough for my meagre needs and talent.
double pfft
But then, near the end, I made the mistake of trying NorCal's high D, low G, and low D Bleazeys.
muahahahahahah :twisted: Hey, just doing my part!!!! I am really glad you like them.
I now also have the Jubilee Low D practice whistle, which I'll be reviewing after I've played it for a while. After almost 62 years of doing it every day, I need to learn to breathe all over again.
Darwin, it was my pleasure to get that whistle to you. Yes, this whistle will help you find your lungs. This is a much improved version of the whistle for Daniel though. I look forward to your comments in a couple of weeks.
Limuhead on NorCal's "bamboo sax" was also very impressive
Yes, this was another of those cases where you are not sure if it is the instrument or yourself that is the problem. As usual, thanks to the playing of Limu I found out it was me that was having the problems with it.

Tony
Thanks everyone for being well-behaved (except Limuhead, but that's ok).
Poteen and Guiness do NOT mix well! :lol:

A great time had by all. What is this talk about NEXT YEAR? Do we have to wait THAT long?

Please see my thread requesting feedback on the whistles that were brought as tour and samples.
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

hmmm....based on what I heard Sat. nite, I should probably go out of town if Tony is posting clips tonight. On second thought, of whatever you hear, I'm the GOOD one playing. nyuk.
Quiet John

Post by Quiet John »

It's clear now that I chose the wrong side in my scheduling conflict. Looks like you folks had a wonderful time. I'll try real hard to make it next year, if you're having one.
Unreasonable person,
John (formerly antstastegood)
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|