I bought a new whistle - not low end

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: clarification.

Post by amar »

vomitbunny wrote:This one.
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/images/store/item_2.jpg

Well crap, now that I take a good look, there are several in this pic.
VM, in that picture there is no Q1, this is the Q1 in D. A great little whistle.
I've also got a lowF Q1, combo lowC/Bb Q1...

http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/product_images/Qone.jpg
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

The Q1 Albas are easy to spot from any other: a single straight tube, with a separate insert for the balde, usually tinted blue. Here's from the BigWhistle site:

Q1 high D:

Q1 low C:

The "standard" or "Parlours" Albas have a thicker, "sleeved" head (as recorders, in a way) and a curved blade, a bit like the window on a flute head, which give them their distinctive sound.
The SE has its head pressed square, as Overtons if you wish, and a straight wide blade. As on the Parlour, this blade is machined in the tube itself.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Thanks much.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I don't think these pictures do the Q1 justice. They don't show the rounded mouthpiece very well, kind of like a fine, shiny cigar. I was quite surprised at the beauty of it. No one is lying about its durability. This is one sturdy whistle. One of these days before long a Low C will be paying me a visit I hope. That might really stir the old WhOA. I am aware that the other Alba models are different. But I think I will like them too.

Ron
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I think I have a Highlander. Let me rephrase that: My WIFE has a Highlander. It is one of her favorite whistles. She has sensitive ears and the slight complexity of the sound is just enough to not fight with the ringing that is already going on in there..... :boggle:

I mean.... :roll:

Oh, nevermind :oops:

Anyway, it is one of her favorite whistles. Her, how does she say it, mellow player.

For purity and concert type play she recently picked our Bleazey in a blind play test.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Oh well. Guess it doesn't matter. Looks like the x and the child support checks are going south for a while. This happens every time I get a wish list going in my head........
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
glauber

Post by glauber »

NorCalMusician wrote:I think I have a Highlander. Let me rephrase that: My WIFE has a Highlander.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

waitingame wrote:
RonKiley wrote: I emailed Stacy directly and asked her how I could get a Q1. She gave the directions and I immediately followed up on it.

I have not stopped playing this whistle since it came in today. It is exactly what I have been looking for. No it is not tuneable. I don't play with anyone else so it doesn't matter. but when I want a tuneable I will probably spring for the Alba SE. I am definitely going to start putting aside money for a Low D.
Ron
You should know that the QI is very different from all the other Albas.
Out side yes inside not realy. the all have the albanite fipple plug.
Although the Q1 has a few cunning tricks up its sleave.
Phill is out of stock on them right now as his waiting fer me ta make more and I have been on the Low C's/Bb's/A' but I will be starting on more next week,we have sold more than 250 in less than a year so it seems to be well liked. but the standard soprano D {Parlor}is the one most used for giging.
We called it the Q1 because its not very loud, but the big un's look like the Q1 but are more like our standard one inside and are not quite :x
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&