Broze piper

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Broze piper

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hello all,
I got newly registered. I am following this list for quite some time though and it has been a most welcome source of information and amusement for me and many times I felt like adding my two Eurocents. I have been „squeezing the sausage“ for quite some time now. In the last few months I clicked C&F nearly every day.

A friend of mine knows a slulpturer who made this Bronze-piper (height ca. 15 cm). Here are some pics on my upload-page:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Hans-Joerg.Podworny/
I´m not at all financially involved but I thought it might be of interest for you. In case you can contact his lady:
ilona.kuepper@gmx.de
They still are in the process of making up a price. So far an edition of 50 casts and an item-price of 320 Euros is thought about.
Best
Hans
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Broze piper

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Sorry. "Bronze" not "Broze" öf course. (Booze)
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Hello Hans-Jörg,
welcome to the forum. I really appreciate your contributions to the DUPG board. C&F is, as you might have noticed, a much livlier place, although at times it is less about pipes and piping than about people and emotions...
To those who don't know Hans-Jörg Podworny: He was one of the pioneers in pipemaking in Germany, I think even before Andreas Rogge took up his trade.

Edit: I don't know Hans-Jörg either, but I do know a bit about him... :)
Christian
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Welcome, and enjoy the ride. :D
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Herzlich wilkommen, Hans-Jörg.

That sculpture is particularly noteworthy for what, as far as I can see, is an unusually accurate depiction of the pipes. Most artists make a total dog's dinner of them.

But does anyone else share my impression that the piper looks a touch Jolsonesque?

An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Joseph E. Smith

A fine sculpture. Jolsonesque? I think that the lighting is such that it might bear some resemblance. I am also pleased by the accuracy of the pipe detail. Cool stuff, I want one. :)
Calum

Post by Calum »

Looks like Robert Johnson to me.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Good to have you aboard Hans. At least you are familiar with the directions this C&F board will go. I usually just read too, and chose not to get involved.

Very nice and accurate sculpture.

Take Care
Doug
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:But does anyone else share my impression that the piper looks a touch Jolsonesque?
I think so too. I do like the sculpture very much though, the detail is beautiful.

Patrick.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Looks like Al has a statue of his own...

Let's work on one for Robert...

10 bonus points if you're the first to correctly guess the chord he's playing.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Hans, aren't you the guy who plays 'Take 5' on the pipes ??

Welcome to C&F !
Hans-Joerg

Broze piper

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Yep, thats me. I added the file onto my upload page. Sorry for the quality cause it just was a home-recording. Before you start sending me letter-bombs: It was meant as a gag and is not representative. Like all of you I played traditional tunes. I played a 4-key Hunter chanter that I have on a file somewhere. I guess the best would be to put it onto the pictures of your pipes - tread but as I´m new I still haven´t found out how to do that. Could I contact you privately in the meantime, Christian, and you did that for me? I bet it´s quicker.

Best,
Hans
Tony

Post by Tony »

Rules to post an image:
Any picture or sound file must be accessable through internet without a password (private gallery) or link blocking websites like Geocities.

If you want to display an image just add [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end of the string. Like this:
[img]http://www.mypersonalwebpage.com/image1.jpg[/img]

that would assume your picture 'image1.jpg' is on the webpage www.mypersonalwebpage.com

(I have disabled the commands so you can see the code)

You can link a sound file just by listing the complete URL to the file. For example:
http://www.mypersonalwebpage.com/soundfile1.mpg/
If this were a valid address and you click on it, you would be able to hear the file.
djm

Post by djm »

The chord fingering is for an A7, but since Johnson's hallmark was to retune his guitar every five minutes that can only be a guess. He's not covering string 6 so he may be playing in drop-D.

djm
Joseph E. Smith

I think he is using string 6 as the dominant 5th, E, as he is wearing his thumb pick.