2nd West Coast Chiff Gathering: JUNE 5

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

TonyHiggins wrote:Angel Island does this Civil War thing every year --- the beautiful place and time-history-focus sure seem right for all the Irish, Scottish, Old-time, etc. of the Bay Area to use it as an annual grand ceili rendezvous. 6/12, 6/13.
Sounds like fun, maybe I'll show up Sunday or later Saturday. (Search search):
http://www.angelisland.org/calendar/artillery2.html
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

A HUGE REQUEST FROM SOMEONE THAT IS ATTENDING

I have a whistle that is a demo from one of the newer manufacturers. The head of the whistle is stuck (probably from the shipping) against the barrel. I cannot, nor can the machinist where I work, get the head to budge without damaging the metal or finish. We do not have any strap wrenches with which to twist the two parts and try to move them apart.

If someone that is attending would please bring this, or something they feel might help, I would certainly appreciate it. So would the person that made it. The whistle plays in tune with itself, just not in tune with other whistles.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I just found about 8 bodhrans (sp?) that were purchased by my school. Should I bring them all? Now, wouldn't that be fun!?!?

JP
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

!!! You are evil, John. :devil:

Justine
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

feadogin wrote:!!! You are evil, John. :devil:

Justine
Could be worse. He could be bringing 8

RECORDERS!!!! :boggle: :o :sniffle:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I have a whole class set of those plastic, squeeky noise makers, but I have to draw the line somewhere!

JP
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

ha, we'll just get Bones to bring 15 sets and we will all take an instant lesson and accompany some jigs!!!!! :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

The Weekenders wrote:ha, we'll just get Bones to bring 15 sets and we will all take an instant lesson and accompany some jigs!!!!! :lol:
Sometimes I think thats going to be the only way Im ever going to play a jig :D
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Switchfoot wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:ha, we'll just get Bones to bring 15 sets and we will all take an instant lesson and accompany some jigs!!!!! :lol:
Sometimes I think thats going to be the only way Im ever going to play a jig :D
Naw, jigs are easy - I won't say I play them *well*, but at least I get the rhythm. The "aha!" moment for me was listening to "Forgetting the Lesson" from "A Dossan of Heather" - nice, simple, jig played at a comfortable speed, but played that way the rhythm is really easy to get.

Now, playing reels at full speed . . . I thought I was doing well, working my way through the Bill Ochs tutor, and then I found his playing of "basic" reels like Rolling in the Ryegrass was a *lot* faster than I was playing 'em. I have a few reels, but unless I go for speed at the expense of all else I end up playing them almost like hornpipes.

Of course, by way of compensation, I have to keep reminding myself to slow down with polkas . . .

But give me the right whistle and at least I'm loud. :D
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

I would like to thank Tony and NorCalMusician for sending e-mail to me about the gathering. I did not surf internet for a while because of taking care of my mother. She was in and out hospital and she went to nursing home last month.

What is the time the gathering start and when the gathering end?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Just a reminder to all coming: It has been windy all week and continues to be so. Very mild weather, perhaps in the 60s though the sun is out. Bring layers.

KC, Tony is there from 1 pm and says come on anytime but some guests arriving around 5 , barbecue at 6. Dunno how late it will go.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

I ahve been asked by Simon to try something on the Chrome whistle that involves laquer thinner. If someone that reads this before leaving has some, or similar, would you please bring some today.

Thanks,

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

So far this morning, it's sunny, mild, and not so windy. The wind could pick up, however. My psychic premonition is that it will be nice. I'm heading out on a bike ride this am (while it's not windy). If I don't make it to the gathering on time, would someone walk the hills and check the cliff bases and around solid looking trees?

The official starting time is 2pm. I'll be there at 1pm. No problem if someone gets overanxious and shows up then. I just have to set up the barbeques and whatnot. (I'll let you try my whistles if you behave.) :party: :party: :party:
Tony
Last edited by TonyHiggins on Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Och, it's killing me to have to work today! :sniffle:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Murphy is in route.....
No I'm not returning...