I bought a new whistle - not low end

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I bought a new whistle - not low end

Post by RonKiley »

I started a thread a week or so ago about Hi end or good Gen. As a result I decided to buy something more Hi end.

When I got home from taking a friend to the hospital for a small procedure I found a small triangular package in my mail box from Alba. I don't know why I have waited so long to order this whistle. I have wanted one since I first saw the announcement. I now have my own Q1.

It literally played right out of the box. It has an absolutely wonderful sound. Exactly the kind of sound I like. It plays so easily. No big learning curve on this whistle. It is also a very good looking whistle with clean simple lines. But I don't have to tell everyone here that. You all probably have one already.

This is a whistle that could end my WhOA. I don't need another whistle. However, if this one is this good I'll bet the SE is real nice. Of course I might want to buy an Alba low D and that low C maybe------

But no I am cured. I think. Maybe.

Thinking
Ron
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Yeah, Rrrrrr I G H T, we BELIEVE you!

NOT!

I have been cured of WhOA as many times as some people I know have "quit" smoking. Something about green grass being on the other side of the fence.

I am not sure what it was about spending hundreds of dollars on r#$*!&ers that turned me off, but I seem to find it VERY easy to spend money on whistles, several $100 plus ones so far.

I think it is all Dale's fault.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ron, Congtratulations! Yeah, your WhOA is sated for now. If you even see an Alba Low C it'll be all over again. :)

Best,
Paul
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

A bit of a little club forming...
The Q1 is really a brilliant design, with a stunning simplicity.
It fills really well the gap between expensive high-enders and the plastic-heads, but may be the only D whistle one will ever need, beginners and pro whistlers alike.
Plus it's about undestructible, so you can really carry and play it anywhere. Play it as a whistle, I mean. As a bodhrán beater, it works but may be rough on the goatskin. And as bones I never dared, though it would probably survive...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree completely; the Q1 is a really nice whistle. Mine was a birthday present, and it gets played frequently.

My birthday present, wasn't it, my preciouussssssss...... it came to us on our birthday, precious, didn't it? Preciouusssssssss.... :D :twisted:

Gollum! Gollum!

...uh...

...ahem...

I meant to say:

--James
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't think WhOA ever ends. I have and do sincerely love every last one of my whistles, and each time I get one I think "This is it! My WhOA is ended! Between this beauty and all my other beauties, surely I now have every wonderful feature known to whistledom!" Then someone posts "I got a new whistle" and I start thinking "you know, I don't have an Alba...yet. :twisted:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Quick question(s): I was just at the Alba site, and didn't see the designation "Q1"...is that the aluminum whistle? Pretty! Is yours tuneable? Also, has anyone tried the all-Tufnol "Highlander" whistle?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Before you go not buying any more whistles I urge to atleast try a Dixon whistle I said the same thing when I got my Dixon and the whoa for me hasen't ended. I would offer you a deal of if you try this I'll try that but I don't have the money to spend on an Alba :sniffle: . I still love my dixon... :D
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I've seen alba's at the gaelic crossings site, but I can't find anywhere where is says Q1. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm just starting to move up on my whistle purchases. My first high end whistle came the other day and I was so impressed I had to order another. (uh, I have to have something to compare the first whistle with, yeah, that's it)
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

No the Q1 does not show up on Stacy's site. There are two ways you can buy a Q1. You can order from BigwhistleUK but they were out of stock. I emailed Stacy directly and asked her how I could get a Q1. She gave the directions and I immediately followed up on it.

I have not stopped playing this whistle since it came in today. It is exactly what I have been looking for. No it is not tuneable. I don't play with anyone else so it doesn't matter. but when I want a tuneable I will probably spring for the Alba SE. I am definitely going to start putting aside money for a Low D.

BTW I still love my Gens, my Feadan, my Clare, my Susato, my Feadog, my Oak and my Waltons but this is way beyond them. I also have the Dixon on my must have list. Just so I can compare it to the others.

Ron
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Zubivka wrote:A bit of a little club forming...
The Q1 is really a brilliant design, with a stunning simplicity.
It fills really well the gap between expensive high-enders and the plastic-heads, but may be the only D whistle one will ever need, beginners and pro whistlers alike.
Plus it's about undestructible, so you can really carry and play it anywhere. Play it as a whistle, I mean. As a bodhrán beater, it works but may be rough on the goatskin. And as bones I never dared, though it would probably survive...
Yeah the Q1 Club. :D Zoob, I agree, it would work well as a bodhrán beater. I used mine as a striker for my Mountain dulcimer one day. It made a really kool sound on the strings. :D I made sure that I didn't miss the strings and hit the wood. It would have made a dent I'm sure. :wink: It's the sweetest little whistle around. Mine is spot on in tune and I don't go to sessions either so I don't care that it isn't tuneable. Stacey has made a great little whistle!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Which is the one on the gaelic crossings site?
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/index.php/cat_3
vomitbunny

clarification.

Post by vomitbunny »

This one.
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/images/store/item_2.jpg

Well crap, now that I take a good look, there are several in this pic.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Redwolf wrote:Quick question(s): I was just at the Alba site, and didn't see the designation "Q1"...is that the aluminum whistle? Pretty! Is yours tuneable? Also, has anyone tried the all-Tufnol "Highlander" whistle?

Redwolf
The Highlander has been discontinued. :sniffle:

There was a high D for sale a little while ago. I think, perhaps it was Chas?
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

RonKiley wrote: I emailed Stacy directly and asked her how I could get a Q1. She gave the directions and I immediately followed up on it.

I have not stopped playing this whistle since it came in today. It is exactly what I have been looking for. No it is not tuneable. I don't play with anyone else so it doesn't matter. but when I want a tuneable I will probably spring for the Alba SE. I am definitely going to start putting aside money for a Low D.
Ron
You should know that the QI is very different from all the other Albas.