Wooden Flute Obsession 2 Updates

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, Kevin. A real contribution.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

DCrom wrote:The issue is if you don't have a working PayPal account, or if (like me) your PayPal account is screwed up and their Customer Service folks (ha!) aren't responsive.

I can see why small businesses and non-profits like PayPal. But I far prefer to either send a check or use my credit card directly - and the direct credit card link seems to be broken.

Grump! :devil:
What has been a problem for some is my use of Frames, and MS Frontpage screwing up on letting me open new windows properly. I don't have time to fix it right now, as I've been packing and labelling some 200 CDs. I'm regretting this being a non-paying gig. Please bear with me, I should have all orders cleared before the weekend.

What works for some is to right-click the appropriate PayPal link for the appropriate set & destination, and Open in New Window (Windows Operating Systems context menu). If that doesn't help, people need to set their browser's (MS Internet Explorer, usually) security settings to Zero. PayPal apparently uses cookies to control the session where you complete the info, particularly for direct credit card payment.

Lastly, one can always go directly to PayPal ( http://www.paypal.com ) and use the SEND MONEY function to send the appropriate funds to KEVIN@WORLDTRAD.ORG, , which is the non-profit's account.

Sorry, about the trouble ordering. It will be some weeks before the CDs go into distribution and Amazon.com .

Those who receive their CDs, please leave feedback.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

herbivore12 wrote:Just got mine today; it's playing as I type. Yay!

Thanks for the work it must have taken to pull this together, Kevin.

It's nice, this CD. Tara Diamond is playing some jigs right now; good stuff!

--Aaron
BTW, you're listening to the 3rd track out of 44. Rush to judgement?

Kevin Krell
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

kkrell wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:Just got mine today; it's playing as I type. Yay!

Thanks for the work it must have taken to pull this together, Kevin.

It's nice, this CD. Tara Diamond is playing some jigs right now; good stuff!

--Aaron
BTW, you're listening to the 3rd track out of 44. Rush to judgement?

Kevin Krell
Well, I started with disc 2, because I wanted to hear Peter Molloy, of whom an East Coast friend of mine speaks highly, so I don't think I was *too* overly enthusiastic. Speaking of rushing to judgement . . . Sheesh.

I like most of the tracks, and especially like the inclusion of a number of flute-only recordings. A couple of tracks weren't my bag, but considering the number of tracks included, the hit-to-miss ratio was pretty high (for me, anyway). On my stereo, the second disc played at an appreciably higher volume for some reason than did the first (with the stereo's volume control set at the same place, I mean), but I didn't notice any particularly odd recording artifacts or anything, though I was also doing some work on the computer at the time, so I haven't just sat down and done nothing but listened.

Anyway. Good luck.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

the set by Tom McElvogue on a Boosey F flute is tremendous!
got me grabbing for my own F flute more frequently and listenting to tunes in a different way. What brightness. And, the F flute really responds to some ornaments much more favorably than a D.
Not to mention it's like having my old Fife days back. So small and easy to play! Yes!

Tom McElvogue, called by Niall Keegan as the best traditional player around (his opinion, yes, but he's not far off), will have a full album this year (we can hope) and I, for one, will be there for it. Terrific, terrific playing.

Way to go, Kevin. A wonderful inclusion!

dave M :D
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Scrolling down the artist info page makes me wonder if the whole WFO project isn't a marketing device for Sam Murray's flutes...
Micah
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Micah wrote:Scrolling down the artist info page makes me wonder if the whole WFO project isn't a marketing device for Sam Murray's flutes...
Micah
Luck of the draw. These are the artists who YOU FOLKS picked, who were available for this volume, and these are the flutes they happen to play. I'll try to fill in the remaining as yet unknown instruments, and we may get a different picture. Sam is still welcome to send me a flute, though.

Re: Shipping: I've caught up on all PayPal orders today, and have sent out some of the courtesy & artist participant copies. Still a lot to do there, as well as promotional, airplay & reviewer copies.

Kevin Krell
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

It was really meant in jest, Kevin. I'm a huge fan of WFO, although with the release of Vol. 2, I'm a bit behind now (not for long.) Seriously, however, I think you do deserve a Murray flute for your efforts!
Micah
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Got mine. It's terrific.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Kevin,
I plan to order a copy when I get a chance.
I'm curious though, where did you get a recording of Peter Molloy playing? I didn't know he'd made any recordings available (though I have been out of the country for almost two years and we've been out of touch). What tunes does he play on the CD?
Best,
Chris
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Kevin,
I plan to order a copy when I get a chance.
I'm curious though, where did you get a recording of Peter Molloy playing? I didn't know he'd made any recordings available (though I have been out of the country for almost two years and we've been out of touch). What tunes does he play on the CD?
Best,
Chris
WFO2 has been a recording project, with 25 new recordings, rather than just a compilation of existing tracks. Some of the artists managed recordings on their own, or with friends, studio & otherwise. Where essential to facilitate it, I arranged studio time. Peter sent me this set of jigs, and although unmastered, he was happy to have Grey Larsen handle that aspect of it. Peter should definitely put something out.

Peter Molloy - w/Ted Davis (guitar)
New Recording [2003]
(3:26 Jigs) The Cuigiu Lassies/Freehan's Jig/The Bride's Favourite
Flute made by Patrick Olwell

Kevin Krell
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think the Pete Molloy recording is the highest-quality one in the CD. Not just the playing, but the recording itself was terrific. Whoever did it knew what he was doing or was lucky.

Hmm, i just reread what Kevin wrote. I bet it was Grey's mastering that did the trick.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

Received my two CD's to-day. Three days to Canada. I bought the special deal. Faultless disks so far no glitches at all. This is in my view a remarkable accomplishment for you Kevin, one you can be more than just a little proud. Must have been a monumental amount of work and the standards you have maintained are very high. I find every track a delight, so many outstanding players.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
djm

Post by djm »

I'm just up the road in London and I still haven't seen mine yet. Maybe tomorrow .... :roll:

djm
David Levine

Great stuff but....

Post by David Levine »

It is great stuff and a wonderful addition to the flute library. I only wish that the liner notes contained more real information about the players and the circumstances of the recording, rather than Hammy's literate and philosophical disquisition on electronic media.
Who *are* these people? Youth wants to know.