what I've learned in life

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
blackhawk
antispam: No

what I've learned in life

Post by blackhawk »

As I've Matured...

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in...

I've learned that one good turn gets most of the blankets.

I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people are just jackasses.

I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think.

I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

I've learned that it is not what you wear; it is how you take it off.

I've learned that you can keep vomiting long after you think you're finished.

I've learned to not sweat the petty things, and not pet the sweaty things. I've learned that ex's are like fungus, and keep coming back.I've learned age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, unless we are celebrities.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I've learned that 99% of the time when something isn't working in your house, one of your kids did it.

I've learned that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.

I've learned that the people you care most about in life are taken from you too soon and all the less important ones just never go away. And the real pains in the ass are permanent.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Parcour25
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Parcour25 »

I've learned that a Blackhawk is a single action magnum handgun manufactured by RugerArms and that Michael Moore has found a North American distributor for Farenheit 911.

I also learned that I don't like women, but I'm not gay.

The rest, I'm not too sure about.
Last edited by Parcour25 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

As I grew up I learned a lot of stuff. As I got older I forgot it all.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Parcour25 wrote: I also learned that I don't like women.
why not?
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have learned that a little piece of paper and a funny hat with a tassle does not make a person smart, just educated.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar

Post by amar »

how very true that is, steven. :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Those were good blackhawk. Here's a few more you might enjoy...from Paragon City

As I've Matured...

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them

I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don't care back.

I've learned that it takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it.

I've learned that it's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts.

I've learned that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes. After that, you'd better know something.

I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do. But to the best you can do.

I've learned that it's not what happens to people that's important. It's what they do about it.

I've learned that you can do something in an instant that will give you heartache for life.

I've learned that no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.

I've learned that it's a lot easier to react than it is to think.

I've learned that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I've learned that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place.

I've learned that heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I've learned that learning to forgive takes practice.

I've learned that there are people who love you dearly, but just don't know how to show it.

I've learned that money is a lousy way of keeping score.

I've learned that my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and have the best time.

I've learned that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down will be the ones to help you get back up.

I've learned that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I've learned that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I've learned that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them, and less to do with how old you are or how much you THINK you know.

I've learned that you should never tell a child that their dreams are unlikely. Few things are more humiliating, and what a tragedy it would if they believed you.

I've learned that no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

I've learned that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I've learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I've learned that sometimes when my friends fight, I'm forced to choose sides even when I don't want to.

I've learned that just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other And just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean they do.

I've learned that sometimes you have to put the individual ahead of their actions.

I've learned that we don't have to change friends if we understand that friends change.

I've learned that you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life forever.

I've learned that there are many ways of falling in love and many ways of crawling back out.

I've learned that no matter the consequences, those who are honest with themselves get farther in life.

I've learned that the paradigm we live in is not all that is offered to us.

I've learned that credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.

I've learned that it's hard to determine where to draw the line between being nice and not hurting people's feelings and standing up for what you believe.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Those are great, Lorenzo, thanks!

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

NorCalMusician wrote:I have learned that a little piece of paper and a funny hat with a tassle does not make a person smart, just educated.
Some bits of paper and funny hats with tassles don't even make you educated.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wombat wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:I have learned that a little piece of paper and a funny hat with a tassle does not make a person smart, just educated.
Some bits of paper and funny hats with tassles don't even make you educated.
Benefit of doubt, maybe? But I know what you mean! :sniffle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've learned it is far easier to corrupt than it is to correct.

I've learned that if you can't say anything nice, make it really deep and cutting.

I've learned that I can't be trusted with other people's whiskey.
LeeMarsh

Re: OT: what I've learned in life

Post by LeeMarsh »

My [b]revisions[/b] to what blackhawk wrote:As I've Matured...

I've learned that one good turn gets most of the blankets.
... And an extra set of blankets on the marital bed leads to warmer breakfasts.
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
... Nor fairly.

I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think...
And I have always been more screwed up than I thought.

I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
... And most anger expressed to others is really anger with yourself.

I've learned that it is not what you wear; it is how you take it off.
... And who you take it off for.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
... Its part of my genius (see lesson below).

I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, unless we are celebrities.
... Then we are responsible for what we do, what people think we do, and what people think we should do.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
... Computerizing that phenomena only makes quicker idiots.

I've learned that 99% of the time when something isn't working in your house, one of your kids did it.
... Until after the kids move out, and you realize how much your spouse has be getting away with for 20 or more years.

I've learned that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
... Nope, there is no line, just variations of shading; however, getting folks to believe that it is there, is the first step to fooling them into thinking that we haven't stepped over it..

Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Good additions, Lee. :)

--Plato
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I have learned that I am a slow learner and learning slower and slower.

I have learned there are so many tunes and I have so few brain cells left.

I have learned that some people with "old timer's disease" (I can't spell the real thing) get to make new friends every day (my first cousin, still living). Others become suspicious, mean and nasty (my brother-in-law, may he RIP).

I have learned that a junkie I thought would die before age 35 can completely turn his life around (but he is still hooked on tobacco).

I have learned that it really is possible to break the tobacco habit, but it took 40 years of trying to quit before I finally succeeded and now I can quit quitting..

I have learned that tobacco snuff is good for easing the pain of bee stings, but I never could understand how anyone could dip the nasty stuff.

I have learned that the biggest change in life (except possibly death, but I haven't experienced it yet) is having kids. That is one tremendous change and I was glad to have the opportunity to have two boys to raise.

I have learned it is hard to kick them out of the nest when they are ready to fly.

I have learned that this too, shall pass.

I have learned to enjoy what you can when you can each and every day and not hurry.

The worst thing about maturing is that I have learned that I am actually mortal and that I am now looking at the shorter end of that stick.

I wonder what is on the other side.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I have learned that I'll probably never learn not to be scared sh*tless of dying.

I've also learned that life is so cool that it's worth the fear.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.