How Hard is it to Move to Ireland??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brianholton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Immigration to Ireland

Post by brianholton »

I checked this out a couple of years ago, as I'm entitled to Irish citizenship, through having 2 Irish grandparents. This still holds (I think it's written into the Irish Constitution).

Until 3-4 years ago, citizenship was granted automatically to spouses of Irish citizens. Now however, it's the standard EU model, which requires a spouse to live in Ireland for 3 years before citizenship is granted.

Moving to Ireland or any other part of the EU is one thing, but citizenship is quite another. Unless you have an offer of work, you may have to reside there for 2-3 years before you can earn your living.

My wife is Chinese, but she now holds a UK passport: the process wasn't too painful, and it wasn't expensive, but it does take at least 3 years.

good luck

brian
Cayden

Re: Immigration to Ireland

Post by Cayden »

brianholton wrote:I checked this out a couple of years ago, as I'm entitled to Irish citizenship, through having 2 Irish grandparents. This still holds (I think it's written into the Irish Constitution).

brian
There is actually a referendum in a couple of weeks with regards to a change in the Irish constitution re citizenship, the government is moving to tighten up things.

The weather in Ireland is such that it's very hard to cope with, only the odd good day makes up for the endless bad ones. I look on life in ireland in it's entirety in that way, I can't see myself living anywhere else but there are things you have to put up with. Moving to Ireland is simple enough, mustering up the commitment to stay proves a problem for a lot of 'blow-ins'.
You have to ask yourself why you want to go there, spend a good bit of time to get some impression beforehand whether or not you will like the life, the weather, the rip-off economy, the highest cost of living in Europe, the highest average houseprices in Europe [bar central London], the state of medical care and little issues like that. And if you come to check things out, come in november, january or early february.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

The present rule for foreign-born Irish to obtain citizenship is that you must have one grandparent who was born in Ireland. Some web sites to get started are http://www.irlgov.ie/iveagh/ and http://www.ask-ireland.com/ . You have to obtain birth, marriage and death certificates for yourself and all others who connect you with the Irish-born ancestor. I received Irish citizenship a year ago based on my grandfather who was born in Dublin. I pursued it, not because I want to live in Ireland, but because my wife holds Italian citizenship and we wanted for both of us to be EU citizens to make things easier if we want to live in Europe after retirement.
Michael Burns
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Well my Grandmother is Irish, and both her Parrents were born in Ireland. How far back their respected families go I do not know. I lot of information like that was lost on purpose, seeing that the Irish as a whole weren't viewed to highly in this area. A lot of times they were treated as barely more than slave labor. When your employer ownes your house, all your possessions, and the police force, and pays you a nickle for working a 16 hour day in a coal mine, it is sort of hard to not call that slave labor. As for the weather aspect.. Well I'm a cold-damp weather sort of person. When it gets into the high 90's in the summer I am so miserable. 60's-70's are just my cup of tea. Cold doesn't bother me as much as the heat. When it's cold you can put more clothes on. When its hot you can only get naked and still be hot. Sorry if anyone accidently had a mental flash of me naked... I feel your pain :roll: The place where I work just opened up a Plant in Loughrea Ireland. It's called "Fluortek Inc." Would it be easier to get citezenship for a different EU country? My Other Grandmother was Brittish (or Perhapse Welsh I'm not sure).
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Redwolf wrote: As far as immigrating to Ireland goes, there are some websites out there. As you're not an EU citizen, you would be limited as to how much land you could buy, except for in certain areas, and you wouldn't be able to work, most likely. I think it's five years (at least it was the last time I checked) of residency required to apply for citizenship.
and
Cranberry wrote:I don't know why I didn't think of this, but an online friend of mine wanted to move to France and she had to prove that she had a job waiting on her, prove that she had the money to pay for absolutely everything she was going to do (I guess so she wouldn't get on welfare?), and it was a helluva long process but she eventually got to live there (and moved back to the States after less than a year).
I find both of these statements both amusing and, to put it bluntly, infuriating. The US is often bitterly criticized, especially in Europe, for trying to restrict immigration. If *we* are supposed to maintain a welcome mat and a wide open door, isn't it rather hypocritical for our fiercest critics to hide behind their own glaring double standards?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
I find both of these statements both amusing and, to put it bluntly, infuriating. The US is often bitterly criticized, especially in Europe, for trying to restrict immigration. If *we* are supposed to maintain a welcome mat and a wide open door, isn't it rather hypocritical for our fiercest critics to hide behind their own glaring double standards?
Did you actually check if they were correct before you went off Chuck? You can move to Ireland and you'll need a workpermit, that's about the deal. US immigration was not in question here but now you mention it requirements to move to anywhere in Europe are Nothing compared to US immigration. And would you believe it , you can still travel here without having your fingerprints taken so please give it a rest.

Humm

Post by Guest »

If you've an Irish Grandmother then you can get citizenship but you may have to show proof. Because of US, and now EU regulations, you cannot simply get off a plane, then apply for a job. You have to get the permit then appy EVEN if you have proof you are a citizen.

They are real mean about that one, so be sure to get the citizenship papers done FIRST, the rest is automatic.

Good Luck.

:0)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a site that might prove useful:

http://movetoireland.com/

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Redwolf wrote:Here's a site that might prove useful:

http://movetoireland.com/

Redwolf
The work permit site is interesting. I wish the U.S. had some of those restrictions!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can't help but be curious, Cy...why would you desire to move to Ireland? Do not construe this question to mean that I find Ireland unappealing...that's not the case, although I've only spent 3 1/2 days there, I know nothing.
I'm just curious what's the attraction for you?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Interesting subject.

When I went to Ireland for the summer last year, one of my goals was to find out if it would be someplace that I might want to live someday. To my utter amazement, it wasn't. Please don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful country and I loved being there, but I couldn't picture myself living there, no matter how hard I tried.

On the other hand, I would LOVE to spend another 1 or 2 solid months there in the next few years.

I too have investigated the Irish citizenship deal, as my relatives are from Roscommon. I would have to petition under a special circumstance in my case, but that's not relevant here. A good resource for information can be found at http://genealogy.about.com/library/weekly/aa030802b.htm . So far I have collected five of the FOURTEEN documents I need before I can even begin to apply. It's a long process and not one to be taken lightly, as citizenship anywhere is a serious responsibility, but I still say go for it if you're elegible, as you never know what doors it might open in the future.

Incidentally, I spoke with a girl in Italy who was able to obtain an Italian passport through a similar law. If your parents or grandparents were born in Italy, and you/your parent was born in the states BEFORE the immigrants were sworn in as citizens, you are probably elegible for Italian citizenship. Check it out.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

If you have a trade and be can sponsored by a company in Ireland, it's a lot easier to get in. If your position is needed there, they'll pull a lot of strings - I know that they have done this for people working in the gas turbine industry.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I don't suppose they'll be looking for anyone with a degree in geology in a few years? :-\
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Tres

Re: Immigration to Ireland

Post by Tres »

brianholton wrote:I checked this out a couple of years ago, as I'm entitled to Irish citizenship, through having 2 Irish grandparents. This still holds (I think it's written into the Irish Constitution).
My great grandparents on my mother's side were Irish. So maybe my mother could become a citizen and then I could piggy back on her because then I would have an Irish mother! (But, then again, where would I go in Ireland for good bluegrass music? I knew there was a glitch to my plan! )

:wink:

Tres
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TelegramSam wrote:I don't suppose they'll be looking for anyone with a degree in geology in a few years? :-\
I spent several hours in a pub talking with an Irishman with a geology degree (but he was a barman) and he's having to leave Ireland to find work in his field.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato