2nd West Coast Chiff Gathering: JUNE 5

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Will there be anyone else playing the guitar? I'll bring mine, but it does start to get a little boring after awhile, only because Irish music seems to call for only two, maybe three chords...D, G, and Dsus.

JP
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

JohnPalmer wrote:Will there be anyone else playing the guitar? I'll bring mine, but it does start to get a little boring after awhile, only because Irish music seems to call for only two, maybe three chords...D, G, and Dsus.
I'll bring mine to play a little melody on.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Weekender and/or The Other Weekender play guitar as well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

My son, Nathan, who is 10, was wondering if anyone will be there to play with.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NorCalMusician wrote:My son, Nathan, who is 10, was wondering if anyone will be there to play with.
My #2 daughter plans to come with me; she's also 10. Now, if I can just avoid having to make a last-minute trip between now and then . . .
Kar

Post by Kar »

By the way, I was confused as to the location....thought it was the same place as the gathering TWO gatherings ago, in the city, which is why I said a bus goes there.

I don't know about Berkeley...the BART, of course, but I'm betting Tony would know the buses you need.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If you read back a few pages, Kar, I described where it is. It's in El Sobrante, in Contra Costa County, 20 miles of road northeast of SF. Not real close by bus without a healthy hike up the hill. But I see Tony's mom walking up and down the hill quite a bit, so its doable.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Probably time for everyone to start bugging Tony for his address so we can do the MapQuest thing. I think I have a link to his address saved, but will have to check.

Here is a list of confirmed tour/loaner whistles that will be present for everyone to try out and review:

Syn Ironwood in D
Weston Copper in D
Weston Copper in Low D
Syn Low D
Jubilee Improved Practice Low D
Jubilee Aluminum Low D
Weston wooden (rosewood?) in D
Weston Cromed Copper in D

I will be looking for some help in indentifying the wood of the Weston. This is wood he salvaged from a barn that was built in the mid 1700's. Anyone familiar with wood used in construction during this era in the UK please chime in.

There may also be a couple of surprises, but I won't say anything about that. It is a surprise after all. :lol:
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

getting there

Post by stiofan »

Kar -

I was planning on driving over to El Sobrante or carpooling with my fiddler friend, but if it's at all possible to take BART, even if it means a bit of a walk, I'd probably opt for that alternative. I utterly despise the Bay Bridge on weekends. I'll check out the BART route and ask Tony or Weeks about the walking distance. I'll only be bringing a bag of whistles, but if you're bringing more cumbersome instruments along, a march up the hill may not be so appealing. Anyone else in SF also contemplating the transport questionne, email me (and Kar?) if you like.

Stephen
stiofansf@yahoo.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Stephen and others SFers:

Depending on what part of the city you live in, I recommend that you come via GG and Richmond bridges, then go home Bay Bridge. No toll coming and traffic isn't usually that bad . Pretty ride, too.

Going home, traffic won't be too bad and you only pay the current $2 (about to go up to $3 thanks to idiotic voters).
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Some of the whistles I'll bring for people to try:

Overton low C
O'Riordon low D and high D/C combo
Burke low Eb + others
Sindt A/Bb combo (favs)
Hoover whitecap D
Tweeked Shaw D
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

One confirmed surprise visitor (by proxy) and one that will not be able to make it.

Kar

Post by Kar »

The Bay Bridge is going up to $3? Please tell me that's not true.

I'm planning on bringing my fiddle and whistles and maybe even the Native American flute I just got (in A, cedar) for people to try so I think I will need a car. But good luck, anyone who is taking BART.

I'll be there around 6:00pm or after, so I am hoping that traffic won't be bad. There is always hope.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

All the Bay Area bridges are going up to $3 since voters passed a measure last March. Since I cross the screwed-up Richmond Bridge four times a week, just for my kid's gymnastic school, believe me, I am steamed. The people were conned by Don Perata and other traditional big-spending Dems, to our economic peril, though fat and incompetent highway construction firms (like Tutor-Saliba on the Richmond bridge) will prosper. BART remains too expensive as well so that's no remedy. And with gas at $2.30 plus, we are all screwed.

It's just another form of taxation, like bottle deposits, DMV fees etc etc.

Glad you can make it! Do take my advice and use the other two bridges to get here. The BB is always messed up at 5 pm, both directions.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

If anyone does decide to take Bart, get off at Del Norte station in El Cerrito. Tons of buses run out of the station, pick the one that goes to San Pablo Dam Rd. If you do this and have a cell phone, call the house when you get to SP Dam Rd and I'll come down and pick you up.

Unrelated FYI: Someone posted this email to a list:
Angel Island does this Civil War thing every year --- the beautiful place and time-history-focus sure seem right for all the Irish, Scottish, Old-time, etc. of the Bay Area to use it as an annual grand ceili rendezvous. 6/12, 6/13." Bring your lunch and your instruments. I know the Bay Area Slow Players session is planning a gathering. I'm planning on going.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”