What Do You Call A Tuba Player (Besides Tuba Player)?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What Do You Call A Tuba Player (Besides Tuba Player)?

Post by PhilO »

My daughter (a clarinetist) is hanging out a bit (dating?) with a tuba player. There seems no name other than "tuba player," and my "tubador" response was met with the smirks reserved for all bad puns and the like. After all there are flautists, whistlers. pianists, oboists, buglers, trumpeters, pipers, whistlers, etc.

Any of you musicians out there know another name for tuba player and is there anything I should know about these blokes in general? :)

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
IvanP

Post by IvanP »

Not sure, but perhaps tubist?
Just when you think you've seen it all, the Chieftains get a new guest star!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Not sure. But I think if this is someone your daughter is, in fact, dating, it would be appropriate to refer to him as "Bub," and maintain your best Al Pacino sneer.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

We're reading a story to our daughter currently with a Sousaphonist in it. (Ths Sousaphonist is in fact a wolf intent on pignapping one of the piglets in a band.) Could be an appropriate descriptor if he does Sousaphone too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

If you like him he could be "to be" If not "taboo".

He could be a Bb Brass bassist.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm partial to calling them George. I've always liked that name. Or maybe Caleb.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Tubist - right. But what about a xylophone player? :oops:
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

This raises the issue of what sort of music he plays on the tuba. "Tubist" of "tubaist" may be appropriate for players of classical music, while "tuber" or "tubaer" may be appropriate for players of traditional music, similar to "harpist" and "harper" for players of the harp. There may also be more versatile players who can be correctly referred to as "tuberists," "tubaerists," "tubisters," or "tubaisters." This was discussed in an earlier thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10045

Best wishes,
Jerry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thank you all; tunaist or tubist it is. And Em, rest assured, a full background investigation of the individual was conducted.

:) PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Tunaist, Phil? That one sounds a little fishy to me.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Blowhard?

"X" as in "X marks the spot"?

I always like for my daughter to show her dates her latest pistol target. I especially like it when she expresses her determination to get a better score than me, someday. :twisted: It's amazing how polite they are after that. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
emmline

Post by emmline »

My husband can't quite make up his mind whether he should get "a couple of boys from the store" (hardware grunts) to "have a chat" with our daughters' dates, or whether he should simply bring home 3 ladders. (one per girl.)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

emmline wrote:My husband can't quite make up his mind whether he should get "a couple of boys from the store" (hardware grunts) to "have a chat" with our daughters' dates, or whether he should simply bring home 3 ladders. (one per girl.)
Hmmm. With my older girl - well, let's put it this way: if these were caveman days, and she liked a guy, he'd have to fear being bopped over the head and dragged off to her cave. It's bad enough when the cat drags in lizards, birds, and small rodents - don't need to encourage her to do the same sort of thing.

Though I probably don't need to fear her getting too involved with a guy who plays an instrument that sounds like it's got a terminal case of flatulence. She's much more likely to get involved with a single-reed player (or someone from karate class). You can work out the specifics for yourself :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yeah, but i wouldn't discount the tubadour too quickly: these guys get plenty of exercise for their lips! :wink:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--