Whistle recomendations.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Robbykfunk

Whistle recomendations.

Post by Robbykfunk »

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum as well as whistling (sort of). I've had a Clark's penny whistle for over a year and I dislike it. I now have a Acorn and while I like it WAY better than the Clark's, it's still not quite what I want. Can you good folks recommend an affordable whistle ($10-$50) with the following characteristics:

Sweet, pure tone throughout both first and second octaves.
Easy to play higher notes in second octave.
Not too easily overblown on the lowest note.
In tune throughout both first and second octaves.
I'm not sure what "chiff" is, but if it's that breathy, rough sound I don't want it.

Thanks.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

"Chiff" is undefinable by nature.

Go to www.thewhistleshop.com and get a Susato and mabey a Walton's Mellow D (stands for "Melody")....or a Sweetone.

Get a few cheapies then decide if you want a higher end whistle.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle recomendations.

Post by Brian Lee »

Robbykfunk wrote: Sweet, pure tone throughout both first and second octaves.
Easy to play higher notes in second octave.
Not too easily overblown on the lowest note.
In tune throughout both first and second octaves.
I'm not sure what "chiff" is, but if it's that breathy, rough sound I don't want it.
I'd think that Susato , Sweetone and Waltons would be about the LAST whistles on my mind to fit the above description. Susatos are loud and brash - hardly sweet; Sweetones have one of the grainiest most 'plasticy' sounds I've ever heard come out of a windway; and Waltons seem to tend to squeek and squak all over the place.

Go with a Hoover. Mack can custom just about anything you're looking for as far as tone or playability. another option would be an O'Briein improved Feadóg, or one of Jerry Freeman's tweeked Generations. But I think Mack is your #1 guy for what you seek.
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

The Clark Original that I own has the purest sound of the now 5 high D's I own(Whoa lite :) ). Have to agree about the sweettone... not a lot sweet about it hehe. I just got both a brass and nickel Generation D and they are nice sounding but not as pure as the clark. still waiting for my tweaked Gen to ship. I was also looking at the improved Feadog. I am also a fan of the less breathy tone. I am hoping that part of my breathiness on the Gens is simply my lack of practice on them as I just received them today.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Have you tweaked the Clarke orig any? It is my absolute favorite high D whistle.

I "squoosh" the windway down a tad to reduce the air requirements for the 2nd octave and adjust the amount of "breathiness" in the sound.

Adjust the little dimple on the blade up and down until the octave changes as you wish.

On my C, I usually wedge something (a round toothpick can be carved just right) in one or both sides of the windway as well.

I can't wait for their low D to come out......
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Hi Robbyk ... Welcome to the madness of C & F. I am one of the least qualified to offer opinions here; not a professional, don't play in sessions, etc. I play for my own enjoyment. The one whistle I always pick up to play is my Tony Dixon tunable. It may fit most of your requirements, and it does fit the price range at The Whistle Shop (cranberry gave the web address). I have a Clarke, tweaked, that is a very nice whistle -- but airy. I don't like the tone of Susatos much at all. Strangely though, my whistles seem to improve in playing characteristics the more I practice. :roll: I haven't tried a Jerry Freeman tweaked whistle (any make) yet -- but from the general concensus here, that would be a great place to start on your whistle quest.

Happy Hunting!
~Judy
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have a Dixon tunable that isn't bad, but it's a bit easy to overblow on the lower notes. Mine is less well in tune with itself than any of my other whistles.

I have a Clarke original that I hated until I smushed down the arch over the windway. Then I had to push and pull at the blade for a while to get a good tone, but now it's very pure and easy to play. The only problem is that when dry, the fipple block is very loose. I plan to get some beeswax, as soon as I can find a source, to plug around the edges of the block. Once the block swells from moisture, though, it stays in place pretty well. Sliding it in makes it quieter, sliding it out makes it louder. That's handy, so I'm hesitant to just pin it in place.

However, I agree that, in your price range, you can't beat a Hoover Whitecap. They don't take much air, but are pretty stable--and very much in tune. Unfortunately, Mack isn't taking any orders till July.

Another likely possibility is one of the Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles. I have one on the way (a Shaw G), but haven't tried any yet.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Sindt. The cross-fingered (OXXOOO) C natural is a little sharp if you don't lay off on breath pressure, but other than that, it is EXACTLY what you are looking for.
~JessieD
emmline

Post by emmline »

but not in the $10 to $50 range, unless you stumble across someone very charitable.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Brian has spoken and his is excellent advice. In the desired price range, a Hoover Brass D standard bore Whitecap is a fine choice.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i second byll's advice....
Dana

Post by Dana »

Me too, for that price range, a Whitecap seems to fit your bill.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I'd be very cautious at buying a Dixon as well - unless you can try it first and know exactly what you're getting. Some of them are absolutely superb and others are complete tripe. :boggle: I don't know why Tony has such wild swings in his quality - especially when some of his work comes out so well.

Anyway, give Mack Hoover a call or shoot him off an email just to see if the whitecap would fit your bill. I know if you make the pilgrimedge to visit him, you'll very likely end up with a whistle in your hands when you leave...July or not! :wink: Though with the price of gas now, you might be able to afford several sterling Copelands before you got home anyway!

I've also been fairly happy with Oak whistles but they also seem to be a mixed bag. Some of them can have a nasty buzz that seems to sit right around the octave break. Some of them are amazingly sweet and pure with that great quintessential whistle sound - just the right amount of chirp or bark or whatever you want to call it.
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

I have noticed that pretty much all the inexpensive whistles seem to be that 'mixed bag' quality. Some are good some are crap. Unfortunatly around here(Tulsa) I have found only two shops that carry any whistles at all. One carries just the Clark original the other carries the original and the sweettone. I have boght two sweet tones now and both have been buzzy and not very nice tone wise. Unfortunatly the shop that sells them keeps the fipples wrapped in plastic so you cannot play them in the shop. From a health point of view this is good. from a want to try before you buy standpoint it is not :) But from what I am seeing and reading all of the less than 100 dollar soprano D's have this problem. Sometimes you get a good one..sometimes not. Just after awhile you give up on a particular brand once you get so many bad ones heh.
Robbykfunk

Post by Robbykfunk »

Thanks for all the advice. I suppose I'll take a look at a Hoover Whitecap. Maybe a Sindt. You know, it's possible (in the future) that Id be willing to increase my price range quite a bit provided I was guarantied to get exactly what I wanted.

Another whistle I've heard alot about is a Generation. I've heard a lot about purchasing a tweaked whistle. But I think a new topic would best serve any questions about that...

P.S. Sorry about my misspelling "recommendations."