I'm moved to say...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have also seen females that weren't exactly ladies that are beautiful too, and one that I know has the first name Mary.. :P
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

fancypiper wrote:I have also seen females that weren't exactly ladies that are beautiful too
Are you talking about bitches? :lol:

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
BigTex

Post by BigTex »

jonharl wrote:I lurk on this board everyday because it's so good.
Me too. With the welterweight champ Migoya and the perenniel contender Mr. Andrew duking it out, this forum is as good the old days sitting around the black and white watching the Saturday night boxing. And, for those Americans too young to remember those days go sit in the corner without dinner and just imagine how fun it must have been.....

Tex
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Are you sure it was Saturday Night????

I remember the B&W Friday Night Fights with the two stroke shaving ads and half of the community would come over because we had a TV. I was like 9 or 10 years old at the time.

I am using a Linux graphical command line browser to read and post this.

Linux is almost as cool as bagpipes, flutes and whistles... :boggle:
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

fancypiper wrote:The trouble with flautists is that they only give lip service to the tunes..
Lip Service

You left the motor running. But I know you're so attractive. Getting in some sharp practice. You better not do anything reckless.

But everybody is going through the motions. Everybody is going through the motions. Are you really only going through the motions?

Lip service is all you'll ever get from me. Lip service is all you'll ever get from me. Lip service is all you'll ever get from me. But if you change your mind you can send it a letter to me

Don't make any sudden movements. These are dangerous amusements. When did you become so choosy? Don't act like you're above me; just look at your shoes.

[Repeat bridge and chorus]

But if you change your mind you can send it a letter to me But if you change your mind you can send it a letter to me But if you change your mind you can send a little letter to me

Elvis Costello, "Lip Service"
From "This Year's Model" ca. 1978
Monster

Post by Monster »

Ok, now's my chance to post OT on the Flute Forum! It's like this, upstairs is the big party with whistles and bells and a lot of hoopla. But downstairs is the cool party where the hep cats are chillin. Ok I've only been on the flute forum for one day, but I like it.

Hey wait!! Who are the large hairy guys trying to break down my front door and carry me back upstairs? :oops:
insert uber smart comment here
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I like this whole trad. music as a house party concept.

The uilleann pipers are the geeky guys out on the lawn who couldn't find dates...
They're out there complainin' about how everything's so phony and how they can't BELIEVE how much tape Ronan Browne puts on his chanter...

As a flute player/ piper/ whistle player, I find that I'm usually the one who goes outside to try and look cool smoking a cigarette with the deadbeat pipers, goes back in, can't relate to the whistle floozies upstairs, and usually winds up serving all the cool fluting girls punch although I'm too embarrassed to say anything.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Tell us more about your LINUX ,Fancypiper .Do you run it in parallel with anything else ?.Is it east to use ?.I hate Microsoft a bit more with every day that passes .
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Glauber, is that your dog? she's beautiful!!!

Mary
glauber

Post by glauber »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Glauber, is that your dog? she's beautiful!!!

Mary
Yes, that's the dog who lives here and takes me out for walks almost every morning (except when she doesn't feel like it). Ana Katarina Ribeiro, a border collie. :)
--Wellsprings--
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

hehe, so you say!
glauber wrote:On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
glauber

Post by glauber »

GaryKelly wrote:hehe, so you say!
glauber wrote:On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
Yeah, and there's no doubt who's Boss! :)
--Wellsprings--
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

andrew wrote:Tell us more about your LINUX ,Fancypiper .Do you run it in parallel with anything else ?.Is it east to use ?.I hate Microsoft a bit more with every day that passes .
I currently have 2 computers, named tinwhistle and uilleann.

tinwhistle runs Gentoo Linux only, uilleann runs a 4 OS boot of: Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 Professional, Fedora Core 1, and Gentoo. I use mostly Fedora Core 1 (community version of Red Hat). The post I made commenting on my command line browser was made on tinwhistle which I intend to use as a file/internet and possibly a thin client server when finished (I can run a computer with no hard drive using tinwhistle to serve X, desktop environment, etc.

As soon as I am confident enough, I guess I will go with Gentoo as it is very well documented and I can learn it easier.

I sort of wish I had started with Gentoo as it is inpossible to install without learning a lot of basics that you can skip with the pre-made distros.

It is easy to use, but harder to learn how to administer and set up new software (but that's a one time job if done right).

I never could get Microsoft software to work correctly and it does strange, unwanted things without me wanting it to.

Grab a Knoppix live cd and boot up using it and try it out without installing.

Preparing to install Linux:
# Choosing a Linux Distribution:
A Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Linux Distribution
Reasons to Choose or Not Choose Linux
LWN distro list
elinux Linux Distributions
# Freeware tools for partitioning/resizing hard drive partitions:
Any Linux Live CD usually have fdisk, cfdisk and other tools available
Ranish Partition Manager
# Understanding Linux Filesystem layout:
Directory Navigation Help File
Filesystems, Directories, and Devices Help File
Proper Filesystem Layout
Advanced filesystem implementor's guide (requires registration)

Do I buy a boxed source, download off the internet or buy some cheap CDs?
It's your choice! If you download, I suggest that you check the md5sums on the Linux ISO Images and make sure you know how to burn ISOs in Windows to install Linux
# Cheap CDs
AlmostFreeLinux
Discount Linux CDs
Linux Central
Cheapbytes
TuxCDs
ComputerHelperGuy
CheapISO
Os Heaven
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thanks for going to so much trouble .It looks very interesting .I would only have to do it once , I suppose , and say goodbye to all those mysterious breakdowns and reports to Microsoft !
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Choice! The hard part of Linux.

When you start in Linux, you have so much free stuff to play with, you have a hard time choosing what you like.

It makes you wonder how Microsoft can sell high priced, buggy software, then you have to buy more possibly buggy software to do some work and protect against security holes when there is a better, cheaper and even free OS alternative. I keep the Windows stuff because I have 2 games I haven't finished and I have friends that consider me their IT service and they refused to listen to me when they started with a computer, so I get calls about that stuff.

I have Linux installed, now how do I work some stuff like some software and file managers?
# I can't figure out what software I want and how to install/uninstall it
The table of equivalents, replacements, analogs of Windows software in Linux
# Find software here
Freshmeat
Sourceforge
rpmfind
# Guides to software management
LNAG - How do I install a program I downloaded from the Internet?
Rute Guide's software explanation
You might want to check out CheckInstall to manage source code installations/uninstallation
# File managers
Midnight Commander
Gentoo file manager
ROX-Filer
# HTML editors
Bluefish
Personally, I use the editor in Midnight Commander when in console and gedit when in X.
Beginners guide: So, you want to make a Web Page!
Anything else you might need