Anyone want a concert (wood) O'Riordan d/c set?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Re: We.l...

Post by JessieK »

Davey wrote:I had just woken up from a morning nap with my 2 year old son...(gosh, doesn't it sound like it just STINKS working from home?!)
I have A TON of jewelry to put together today, because my mom and I are doing separate shows this weekend. Joey let me sleep for a total of ALMOST two hours last night. Sleeping at home kind of stinks sometimes.
~JessieD
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have had the pleasure of "working with" Davey, and indeed, he is knowledgeable and once you have ordered, he keeps you up-to-date on the progress of your whistle as he is making it. He offered me a choice of woods, and then gave me exactly what I was hoping for ~ I now have a gorgeous pink-ivory whistle that plays and sounds and looks wonderful.
My experience with him, as with all the whistle-smiths on the board, was outstanding.

Mary
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

JessieK wrote:Joey let me sleep for a total of ALMOST two hours last night. Sleeping at home kind of stinks sometimes.
Boy, do I remember those days!!!!

I remember thinking "If ONLY I could get 4 consecutive hours of sleep'!!!

But we survive.

Mary
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

JessieK wrote: I have A TON of jewelry to put together today, because my mom and I are doing separate shows this weekend. Joey let me sleep for a total of ALMOST two hours last night. Sleeping at home kind of stinks sometimes.
Jessie,

I know the feeling! My son was Mr Active Boy...up every 2 hours to feed, up at 6am, not going to bed until midnight, sporadic half-hour naps during the day. We were run ragged! My poor wife caught the brunt of it, since we are both pro breast milk, but she had a devil of a time with the pump so she got to do like 99% of the feedings.

After he weaned himself onto solid foods, we found he didn't want to eat as often (of course), but we still had to enforce a more sane sleeping schedule, putting him to bed at 8 even when he didn't want to go, encouraging him to stay in bed until a reasonable hour in the morning. There was some rough spots, but now he's on a good schedule...

So, I guess what I'm saying is "it gets easier!"..funny how that advice never seems to feel as helpful when you're in the thick of things :)

Greg
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

For anyone interested in the wall thickness of an O'Riordan concert whistle, the pictures below are of my set. The outer diameter of the tubes is: 3/4" (0.75" or a smidge over 19mm), the inner bore is: 1/2" (0.5", 12.75mm) to give an obvious wall thickness of 1/8" (0.125" or 4mm).

Image Image

In contrast, the average thickness of my metal [high] whistles runs about 1/32" (0.03" or 0.5mm approx.) quite a difference. I don't have one of Paul's whistles here to compare or measure directly (hey Paul, ya wanna jump in here buddy? :)) but I would guess the walls he turns are somewhere in the 1/16 - 3/32 range.

The wall thickness and the corresponding 'chimney' height of the tone holes can have a dramatic effect on how a whistle plays and cross-fingers etc. A good example is the Cnat on the O'Riordans. If I use OXXXOX instead of OXXOOOO I get a decidedly flat Cnat. I find this simplifies things a bit as I get a good solid note without having to remember two or three fingerings for the same note depending on the tune I'm playing.

edited to fix my cruddy math!
Last edited by Brian Lee on Thu May 27, 2004 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Brian Lee wrote:The wall thickness and the corresponding 'chimney' height of the tone holes can have a dramatic effect on how a whistle plays and cross-fingers etc. A good example is the Cnat on the O'Riordans. If I use OXXXOX instead of OXXOOOO I get a decidedly flat Cnat. I find this simplifies things a bit as I get a good solid note without having to remember two or three fingerings for the same note depending on the tune I'm playing.
Interesting shots, thank you.
You're perfectly right for the wall thickness. It does influence how "chromatic" cross-fingerings can bring a whistle to be, given a moderate diameter of holes.
It does affect the sound too, though I can't exactly describe how.
The very thick walls of Silberton/Silverton D/C brass instruments make a distinct difference. This may be the key to the efficiency of aluminium, if one wants to keep the weight down.
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I had a Greenwood set

Post by demon_piper »

I had a greenwood D/C set in Cocobolo, I traded it for a Seery flute. Only because I have a good Copeland in Sterling and I didn't have time for both. The tone on the Greenwoods is wonderful, no breathiness and beautifully voiced, Davy doesn't produce and bad ones that I have ever heard of.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i too have a d/c set in cocobolo. simply the best whistles i've ever played. they are as smooth as butter. the d seems especially nice. the tuning slide is extra long which seems to be an advantage. they are lovely to look at (although, i've seen some more handsome) and have the tactal sensation that only wood seems to render. dead on in tuning, no shrillness in the upper octave, cnat dead on....
Dana

Post by Dana »

Oh shut up, y'all. I can't afford any whistles right now. My airconditioner needs replacing. WhOA!

Dana
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JessieK wrote: Mine has a lovely tone. Chris Laughlin had one with a lovely tone. He sold it to Loren who sold it to someone else, I think.
Nope, knowing how rare such good whistles are, I kept that set, although oddly they seem to have become more breathy sounding :( Or maybe it's just that I'm around pure sounding recorders all day.....I don't know :-?

Well, at any rate I agree: The very best sounding Abells seem somewhat rare, but they are as good as whistles get.

Loren