What Whistles do the Pros Play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

stiofan wrote:According to their cd liner notes, Lunasa play Grinter, Overton & Chieftain whistles. I'm not sure about the Susatos, but could be.
When i saw them live, it was definitely as you say. No Susatos in sight! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Unseen122 wrote:
buddhu wrote:Spider Stacey used to play nickel Generations.
No Spider Stacy used Brass and Nickel if youl look on the pictures of him in "IF I Should Fall form Grace With God" you will notice that he uses nickel and brass. Later when they came out with "Pogue Mahone," although he was not the whistle player, the person playing uses specialy made Overtons (it says so in the liner notes). The best whistle that I have ever played on is a Dixon with a brass tuning slide after that I knew I would never by a different high whistle ever. When I saw Dropkick Murphys in concert it looked like Ryan Foltz was playing a Clare (brass with a green top but not a gen).
I never said he played *only* nickel :P ;) Actually, I tried to think while I was posting if I ever saw him with a brass Gen, but all I could bring to mind were the blue tops. Certainly in most of the pics I can find he's blowing nickel...
SilverStrand wrote:Andrea Corr plays Waltons and Generation...I don't think she's ever played Clare

Andrea plays cheap whistles because she always loses them!
Nah, the other one, Sharon. Although David le Bas of Clare whistles claims Andrea also uses them some of the time. I know she normally uses what looks like a Walton LBW...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

janice wrote:Loretto Reid has a set of O'Riordan's, but usually ends up playing her old beat up Gens.
Actually, I believe her main whistles are an Eb Generation (which she uses a lot), a D Genration with an O'Riordan head, and O'Riordan Travellers for all the keys C and below.

Lunasa definitely uses Susato D and C whistles, both for Kevin and Sean's high whistle playing. When we saw them in Cincinnati a couple of months back, they used them for the Raffin Island/Sporting Paddy set and for McGinchly's.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

We know L.E. McCullough has a Burke Al because he said so in another thread.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

And I think we can safely assume Talbert plays Chieftains!!
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

There used to be an aluminum body with a black fipple whistle made with a James Galway name on it too. It was my favorite after I lost my Fedoga (brass, green fipple) whistle.

After I lost that one, I found some good Generations and they were my favorites for years, then I picked up some old Clarke Original designs and messed around with them.

I have some Burke whistles that I play a little (low A composite, Low G and D AL-PROs and a brass session pro that I play very little.

I have made some money playing gigs, so I am now a professional, right? Or do you have to make more than you spend to be considered one?????
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Andrea Corrs definetly uses the LBW every place that sells them (online) says that it is the same one she uses. I prfer nickel myself when it is not my Dixon... I know I should do marketing for him or something great high whistles... sorry went off an a rant there doesn't matter The Pogues are still no doubt one of the best bands ever in my opinion. :D
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

which whistle?

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Waitingame,

Yes, I play Chieftains almost exclusively. Anything pass Low-D I play the Overton in the Lower keys (Baritone C, B-flat, A, G.) as I have had them for years. Best, - Tal St.Claire

P.S. Lunasa does play Susato's but they have been carefully selected by the band members. I had a chat with Sean regarding the susato's some yrs ago.
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Mon May 24, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

As far as the first LOTR movie is concerned, didn't we determine a long time ago that the instrument was a (I believe this was the technical term :wink: ) "frickin' recorder"? That would explain the difference in sound.

As far as what the pros play, the only one I know is Will Millar...I believe he plays a Copeland.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Redwolf wrote:As far as the first LOTR movie is concerned, didn't we determine a long time ago that the instrument was a (I believe this was the technical term :wink: ) "frickin' recorder"? That would explain the difference in sound.
hehe... are you gonna resurrect that whole 6-page debate again Red? :D
As I recall, it got quite heated in there!

Here's a blast from the past re ROTK and the flute Sir J's Abell evolved into:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... light=lotr
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:James Galway plays an Abell. Joanie Madden plays O'Riordans and some Burkes. Mary Bergin plays Sindts and Generations. Larry Nugent plays Copelands. As does Seamus Egan. Brian Finnegan of Flook plays Goldie Overtons.
Shame on you Jessie: you forgot Cathal McConnell ! When he was here in upstate NY last year, he had a ragtag collection of "cheapies"-- Generations and the like. All looked very well played, with bits of tape here and there.
Bill Ochs is also a major advocate for really traditional whistles.
Last I knew, Tim Britton played Copelands
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

During a televised Chieftans concert I saw Paddy Moloney playing a Sindt. They just happened to switch to a closeup of Paddy as he was pulling out the Sindt for the next number.
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

To clear up the "Lord of the Rings" question, my old mate Mike Taylor played whistle on the first two films and he plays an Abell.
That Scottish Git.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

brewerpaul wrote:Shame on you Jessie: you forgot Cathal McConnell !
Shame on me, indeed!
~JessieD
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

burnsbyrne wrote:During a televised Chieftans concert I saw Paddy Moloney playing a Sindt. They just happened to switch to a closeup of Paddy as he was pulling out the Sindt for the next number.
This was verified in January when I played with them again:

(this one's my friend Mark)

(this one's really me) :)

Cathal McConell played a VERY strange flute which had it's tone hole almost halfway down it's body:

and also played a red top Generation at their concert in April: