Celtic session etiquette-Does it exist?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Celtic session etiquette-Does it exist?

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Hi everyone,

I have a question about session etiquette. Are most Celtic music sessions pretty much of a free-for-all, with very little supervision? The reason that I ask this is that I have a customer who wants a very loud Irish flute. In the current session that he is trying to play in, his wooden Irish flute is being totally drowned out by three accordion players and two concertina players, all playing at once, I presume. My PVC large bore low D flute is pretty loud, but not that loud. What kind of advice should I give this person?

Personally, when I had the choice, I preferred to play in groups that we called the “slow jam”, which was really for beginners. At least in this group there weren’t dominant personalities who wanted to call the tunes and play their loud instruments on every tune. The “slow jam” was more egalitarian and better suited to my quieter personality. We often played tunes from a tune book, and we took tunes calling the tunes that we wanted the group to learn and play. There is something nice about “beginner’s mind”.

Best wishes,
Doug Tipple
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Hello, Doug,

here is a summary that i like:
http://www.murphyroche.com/Our_Sessions.htm
(see the links for musicians and spectators).

I also think nobody (non-Irish) should sit in a session before reading Barry Foy's Field Guide to the Irish Music Session.

Last and also least, here's an article i wrote:
http://www.murphyroche.com/SubPages/Iri ... _Music.htm
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Steven

Post by Steven »

There actually has recently been a pretty extensive discussion on this very topic over on Concertina.net. The gist was that someone wanted a louder concertina because he couldn't hear himself in his session. The consensus of the responses was that other people could probably hear him a whole lot better than he could hear himself, since his sound was being projected away from himself, and the others might think HE was drowning THEM out.

Maybe your customer should ask the other people in the session whether they can hear him, and start a discussion there about whether they're actually all trying to play louder and louder so they can hear themselves. After all, it's very possible to play a squeezbox quietly if you want to....

:-)
Steven
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

There is a segment in Barry Foy's guide that explains the protocol for too many free-reed instruments. If there aren't enough concertinas and accordions for everybody then they should be left at home.

Cheers,
Aaron
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: Celtic session etiquette-Does it exist?

Post by rama »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a question about session etiquette. Are most Celtic music sessions pretty much of a free-for-all, with very little supervision? The reason that I ask this is that I have a customer who wants a very loud Irish flute. In the current session that he is trying to play in, his wooden Irish flute is being totally drowned out by three accordion players and two concertina players, all playing at once, I presume. My PVC large bore low D flute is pretty loud, but not that loud. What kind of advice should I give this person?
switch to the concertina, it'll even things out.
glauber

Post by glauber »

rama wrote:

In this case, piano accordion may be even more effective! :D

Flute is not really a loud instrument. In a session with so many accordions, the flute will be dronwned. Maybe he needs to develop an appreciation for blending in, rather than being heard. Or switch to the piccolo! It works!

In general, it's good to think about having interesting things to "say" with your instrument, having good enough sound, technique, knowledge of the tunes and variations, before worrying about other people being able to hear you.

g
--Wellsprings--
andrew

Post by andrew »

If flautists were to stick to sessions involving only musical instruments they would have much less trouble .
They should avoid accordions . ( Everybody should ).
Doug_Tipple

Session etiquette

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Hi again,

In reading through the replies and referred web pages in regard to my original question about Irish session etiquette, I learned that as a member of the session audience I was never, never, never supposed to request “Danny Boy”. I gather that musicians in an Irish session play mostly reels, jigs, hornpipes, and maybe a few slow airs, whereas “Danny Boy” is actually a popular song based on the folk melody “Londonderry Air”. . However, “Danny Boy” remains one of the best-loved popular songs in the Irish or Irish-American repertoire. When the great, 20th century violinist, Fritz Kreisler, was asked what tune that he had played had the most beautiful melody, he replied “Danny Boy”. Since “Danny Boy” could easily be played as a slow air, and since it is so well-loved and has roots in the folk tradition, I don’t quite understand why that would be such a forbidden request, other than the fact that the audience is not supposed to request tunes.

Best wishes and happy fluting,
Doug Tipple
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

glauber wrote:
rama wrote:

In this case, piano accordion may be even more effective! :D

g

right you are glauber, the piano accordian it is. now 3 accordians, two concertinas, and a piano accordian all playing ......... 'danny boy'

this is getting interesting
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Q (buyer): Do you have a flute that's loud?
A (seller): Why, is how you play worth listening to?

If you can't hear yourself, then move away from the distraction.
Put the accordion to your left instead of sitting straight in front of it.
Flute player in your ear tongues notes and has horrible intonation and phrasing? If you'd not like to toss him from the session, move across and away from him. Sitting to the flute's right puts it in the loud zone.
Can you hear the fiddle when you play? If not, you're playing too loudly.

ARe the guitars strumming/plucking or whacking away?
Is there more than one bodhran playing at any given time? More than one guitar? Are they together?

So much to deal with!
dm
glauber

Re: Session etiquette

Post by glauber »

Doug_Tipple wrote:In reading through the replies and referred web pages in regard to my original question about Irish session etiquette, I learned that as a member of the session audience I was never, never, never supposed to request “Danny Boy”.
Hello again, Doug!

this is an inside joke. Actually these days Celine Dion's Titanic song is probably even more hated tahn Danny Boy. People don't mind playing Danny Boy (aka (London)Derry Air) occasionally, but if it gets requested every day by the local drunks it gets annoying.

About sessions: the thing for your friend to realize is that sessions are social occasions, more so than musical occasions. It's not really an orchestra or band rehearsal, and people are there to meet their friends and have fun, not necessarily to attain the best possible sound or to make all the flute players happy. And definitely not to entertain the drunks so they buy more beer! Tough, but that's what it is. When he has the right attitude, he'll enjoy himself no matter if he gets to shine or not.

g
--Wellsprings--
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Another take on the recurring issue of session etiquette, applicable in any irish session, too :

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/sess/ss4.html[/b]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Excellent link, Pat.
eskin

Post by eskin »

We're starting up a weekly teaching seisiun for the newer players, followed by a closed seisiun. Here's the latest draft version of the guidelines for the teaching seisun that will be published on the store's website. I'd appreciate any feedback. Please feel free to use them for your own situations if useful:

Acoustic Expressions Irish Slow Seisiun Guidelines

INTRODUCTION

Acoustic Expressions, and the seisiun leaders, Elaine and Michael, are very excited to host a weekly traditional Irish seisiun on Thursday nights:

7:00 – 8:00 PM: Slow seisiun, open to all players
8:15 – 10:00 PM: Performance seisiun, open by invitation only

These simple guidelines for the early slow seisiun are what we have found make for a successful and sustainable seisiun. Players attending the seisiun will be expected to behave consistent with these common-sense guidelines.

ACOUSTIC EXPRESSIONS HOUSE RULES

No smoking or alcohol permitted. Sodas will be on sale for $.50 each.

Children are welcome if they are actively participating in the seisiun. Any families with unsupervised children will be asked to leave.

Please stay out of the storefront unless you are making a purchase and are accompanied by an Acoustic Expressions staff member.

You may only try out instruments only with the explicit permission of the Acoustic Expressions staff.

The seisiun will end at exactly 10 p.m. so please arrive on time.

JOINING THE SEISIUN

The early slow seisiun, while open to the public, is primarily for students of the store’s instructors and is open to all skill levels. Participation in the later performance seisiun is by invitation only. Please contact either Elaine or Michael if you are interested in attending the later seisiun.

THE MUSIC

We will be playing tunes in traditional Irish dance styles such as reels, jigs, slip jigs, slides, hornpipes, and polkas. Other styles, such as bluegrass, old-time, and Scottish are discouraged.
Traditional Irish dance style means that tunes are played in unison, with no melodic improvisation other than ornaments. Prospective players are encouraged to seek out and listen to groups like Altan or the Bothy Band for examples of seisiun style playing.

INSTRUMENTS

The early seisiun is intended for traditional Irish melody instruments only.

These instruments include: Fiddle, flute, pennywhistle, low whistle, Uilleann pipes, button or piano accordion, concertina, guitar (melody flatpicking), mandolin, bouzouki/octave mandolin, and tenor banjo.

Non-traditional instruments (such as saxophone, recorder, or trumpet) are not allowed.

There will be no guitar or bouzouki backup or bodhran allowed in the early seisiun without special invitation from the seisiun leader.

TOUCHING INSTRUMENTS

Please do not touch or play other player’s instruments without their permission. Musicians can be very protective of their instruments and some are easily damaged.

TUNING

All players are expected to tune their instruments before the seisiun and to keep them in tune. If you need to retune, please do during the breaks between tune sets, and get help if you need it. Be sure to tune to any fixed pitch instruments such as pipes or accordion. Most mass-produced pennywhistles have tuning issues. Whistle players are strongly encouraged to have a tunable whistle before they start playing in seisiuns.

STARTING A TUNE

Seisiun leaders will start most of the tune sets. If you’d like to request a particular set of tunes, or would like to start a set, please ask the seisiun leader.

NO “NOODLING”

If you don’t know the tune, either very quietly work it out while staying in time with the music or you are unable to do so, just sit the tune out. A simple guideline is to play the tunes you know and don’t play the tunes you don’t know. Do your practicing at home, not at the seisiun.

USING WRITTEN MUSIC IN SEISIUN

While useful for initially learning tunes at home, the use of music books or sheet music during the seisiun is not allowed. Irish music is primarily an aural tradition.

TEMPO

As a courtesy to the other players, please play the tunes at the speed started originally, don’t speed up or slow down. This is extremely important for an enjoyable seisiun.

RECORDING

Players are encouraged to record the seisiun and use the recordings to learn the tunes! Recordings made at the seisiun are for your own personal use only.

RESPECT OTHER PLAYERS

Please don’t carry on conversations while others are playing. If you need to talk to someone, go to another part of the room.

Always be courteous to the people around you.

Most important of all - have fun playing, and enjoy the music!

GOOD TUNES TO LEARN

Reels
Merry Blacksmith
Cooley’s
Cup of Tea
Tom Billy’s
Hunter’s Purse
Gravel Walk

Jigs
Banish Misfortune
Lark in the Morning
The Kesh
Morrison’s

Slip Jigs
Kid on the Mountain
Snowy Path
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

We have built a good weekly session without having much in the way of formal rules. Pat, Sam, and I call the tunes, but if anybody has a tune they'd like to play then we are open to that. If we don't know the tune we sit it out and enjoy listening.

I think we've been really lucky as to who we have playing with us, and the venue we get to play in. There has only been one time we've ever had to approach someone about conduct, and that was not a big deal, quickly forgotten.

Some weeks work out better than others, but every week we have fun and learn.

Not that I have anything against rules, I'm just really glad we've been able to keep a very open session and still turn out some good tunes. To me, the more rules you add, the more artificial and performance-oriented the whole thing becomes.

Of course, the flip side is that if someone wanted to, it would be pretty easy to trash out one of our sessions. The reason it works is because everyone wants it to and deliberately tries to make it work. If we started having trouble, we'd have to add our own rules to the mix, and take the bad results of that along with the good.

--James