This is cool.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

At one point in my education I remember it being mentioned that BF himself once suggested that the turkey be our national symbol.

Now THAT leaves a great impression on my modern mind!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Nice quote, Walden. Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, the Roman myth probably combined with the Genesis hangups against the reptile.

The Mexican flag now tells the full story... ;)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NorCal, Franklin wanted the *Wild* Turkey - makes a big difference.

Don't know if they're intellegent, exactly - but they are pretty wary birds, and good at survival. There are a couple of flocks of wild turkeys in the park we usually hike (Almaden Quicksilver, for the Silicon Valley locals). Impressive! Especially when they take to the air for a bit - doesn't seem possible for something *that* big to be flying. They aren't as big as the bred-for-size-but-no-brains domestic variety, but they are still a Seriously Big Bird.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

DCrom wrote:NorCal, Franklin wanted the *Wild* Turkey - makes a big difference.

Don't know if they're intellegent, exactly - but they are pretty wary birds, and good at survival. There are a couple of flocks of wild turkeys in the park we usually hike (Almaden Quicksilver, for the Silicon Valley locals). Impressive! Especially when they take to the air for a bit - doesn't seem possible for something *that* big to be flying. They aren't as big as the bred-for-size-but-no-brains domestic variety, but they are still a Seriously Big Bird.
There's a flock that wanders through the grounds of my water treatment plant on a regular basis when we're not under construction. I've counted 30 at a time right here on the lawn. And then there are the turkeys that wander these halls...no wait, that's management.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Good to see all is well here :D

Greetings from Ketchikan Alaska!!!!

Tom
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

blackhawk wrote:
DCrom wrote:NorCal, Franklin wanted the *Wild* Turkey - makes a big difference.
And then there are the turkeys that wander these halls...no wait, that's management.
That is the reference I was alluding to. I don't have a problem with the bird itself, but the negative conotations of the word "turkey" that have crept in over time (and maybe existed before??) would put a serious burden on that symbol of sovereignity! :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

NorCalMusician wrote:At one point in my education I remember it being mentioned that BF himself once suggested that the turkey be our national symbol.

Now THAT leaves a great impression on my modern mind!!
Actually, the Cincinnati Society, had on their emblem a patriotic depiction of an eagle, and some were complaining that it looked more like a turkey than an eagle, and Franklin suggested that, in his estimation, the turkey was actually a better emblem than the bald eagle. Even in that day, the turkey had something of the same connotation it now has, but Franklin, I think, was making his point through tongue-in-cheek analogy. Here is more from the same document I quoted earlier, re the eagle, commencing where I left off.

"He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country....

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

--Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to his daughter

P.S. I think from the context of the farmyard reference, it was not specifically referring to a wild turkey.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

I don't think that the colonists had time to breed a fully domesticated turkey. They probably started by live capture and wing clipping...

Our forefathers certainly had great foresight in picking the majestic, carrion eating thief, bald eagle!

Denny
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Denny wrote: Our forefathers certainly had great foresight in picking the majestic, carrion eating thief, bald eagle!

Denny
Aye yer can say that again :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
glauber

Post by glauber »

vomitbunny wrote:If I could have found a dancing fish thingie that morphed into a picture of my butt, I would have posted it, but I couldn't. Anyway. Memorial day. Remember, most of the rest of the world doesn't hate the USA, just Bush. For that matter, more of the world doesn't actually hate him as much as they are afraid he'll mispronouce and word and accidentally start world war three.
For a little bit of perspective, imagine how ridiculous it would be to say "For that matter, most of the world doesn't actually hate Luxembourg."

"Most of the world" is just trying to make enough money to pay rent and food and couldn't care less about the moral angst of the inhabitants of the lands located between Canada and Mexico.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

glauber wrote:[quote
For a little bit of perspective, imagine how ridiculous it would be to say "For that matter, most of the world doesn't actually hate Luxembourg."
Glauber, that is not ridiculous at all, it's just the plain truth. Everybody loves us because we are nice, peaceful and tolerant people. Besides, our country has never started a war nor did we have any colonies (guess why).
:P
glauber

Post by glauber »

claudine wrote:
glauber wrote:[quote
Glauber, that is not ridiculous at all, it's just the plain truth. Everybody loves us because we are nice, peaceful and tolerant people. Besides, our country has never started a war nor did we have any colonies (guess why).
:P
:lol: Doh! I picked Luxembourg because i couldn't think of anybody here that's from there. Then i saw your name in the thread and i remembered...

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--