Free, beautiful music - a new song from Nadine Laughlin

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Free, beautiful music - a new song from Nadine Laughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Folks -
My mom Nadine had a house concert last night and played a lot of new songs. I've posted an mp3 of one of her new songs for you all to download and enjoy. The song is called "Without a Home". My mom plays music for our local little church and during the winter she and the church youth group went down to Boston to work in a soup kitchen there. While they were there they met a homeless man who told them the story of his friend who had died, frozen to death, on a park bench the night before simply because he had nowhere else to sleep but in the winter cold. The youth group was really moved by the story in a strong way, as was my mom. She wrote this song in response (right click and save to desktop). I hope it moves you like it moves me.
It should take about 15 minutes on a 56K modem connection.
Best,
Chris

EDIT: I talked to my mom about this song and it turns out I didn't get the story quite right. As it turns out they went down to the soup kitchen which is right near the Boston Common, the big park in the center of Boston. As they were serving food this homeless man came up to them and started talking about his best friend, the first person who had befriended him when he became homeless, who had frozen to death on a bench in the park the night before. He remarked that from that bench one can see six churches all overlooking the park. He wondered, with all those beautiful, warm churches, why none of them had taken his friend in, given him some food to eat and a warm place to stay that night. He then gave one of the kids in the youthgroup a poem he'd written about it, which she read during church the next weekend. My mom wrote this song based on the poem, not using the same words, but based on the story, the message and the emotion behind it. It's a powerful story and lesson for all of us I think, no matter what religion we profess to be (or not to be) a part of.
Last edited by ChrisLaughlin on Sat May 22, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Wow, what a story. However, 25 minutes is too much for me to satisfy my curiosity. Any chance of a lo-fi version? Preferably with streaming.
+ Bill
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

only took about 7 seconds... 'course I have a 5,000Kbps modem soooo... very nice song. Where's the whistle? 8)
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

No way is my dial-up reliable enough for that. I'll check it out when I get into the office on Monday (where we have a nice fat broadband pipe). The speakers on my office machine are better than the ones on this laptop too ;)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

chris, that's a very very beautiful song. thanks alot.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Geeze Laughlin, you and you're commercial posts! I'm starting a crusade to have you banned from C&F.

Loren
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Great song, but I am with Cyfiawnder, there ought to be a soaring whistle solo in there somewhere.
amar

Post by amar »

Loren wrote:Geeze Laughlin, you and you're commercial posts! I'm starting a crusade to have you banned from C&F.

Loren

hey there, good to see ya.
that's all.
:D
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Awesome. A beautiful message delivered beautifully. Thanks. (The hi-fi version is worth getting.)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Loren wrote:Geeze Laughlin, you and you're commercial posts! I'm starting a crusade to have you banned from C&F.
Loren
Yeah, man, free music stinks! I hate that... I hereby move that we ban the posting of free music from this forum. :P
Anyways, if anyone really is bothered by what they perceive to be commercial posts just let me know and I'll take I'll take it into consideration and maybe ask Dale what he thinks. My intention really isn't to sell my mom's CDs here (she's only sold a handful over the internet, lots live) but just to share music that I love... I hope people enjoy it.
Thank you for the kind words...
Best,
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

You know.. you're right.. a whistle part would be beautiful. I heard the song for the first time last night, but maybe we'll put a version together with whistle in it. This is a live version and there seems to be a little noise in the mix... we'll get a nice clean studio version together.
I'll try and post up a lower fidelity streaming version, but really, just right click on the link and go make a sandwhich. By the time you're done the song will be yours.
Best,
Chris
amar

Post by amar »

chris, when I heard your mom sing I thought I really knew her voice already, but that couldn't be!
After some thinking it came to me: I find your mom and mary black have very very similar singing styles.

Anyone else think so too?

:)

check the poll, check the poll!!!
Last edited by amar on Sat May 22, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I would love to hear it too, but no way can my computer get this.
Can you find a easier place to post it?
lolly
glauber

Re: Free, beautiful music - a new song from Nadine Laughlin

Post by glauber »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Hi Folks -
My mom Nadine had a house concert last night and played a lot of new songs. I've posted an mp3 of one of her new songs for you all to download and enjoy. The song is called "Without a Home".
Beautiful song and wonderful singer! Thank you very much for posting it.

glauber
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Thank you so much for the kind works... I'll pass them on to my mom.
I've posted a much lower quality mp3 file below. It should take about 5 minutes on 56K modem to download. It's a little "hissy" but nice anyways for those who don't want to or can't spend a little longer dowloading the higher quality version above. Right click here and select "save to desktop" to download the lower quality mp3.

I hope that helps.

In peace,
Chris