How come no one mentioned making my own whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tharker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How come no one mentioned making my own whistles?

Post by tharker »

sigh....

When I humbly asked the opinions of this great community as to which whistle I should get next, I was not told about making my own. (Did I lay it on thick enough? :D )

Building whistles is fun, easy, and very inexpensive. I started out in copper and that went ok. But then, I've gone into PVC and it's been awesome! (80's flashback :boggle: ) The whistles sound great and they're costing me less than 5 bucks each and less than 1 hour of labor. I've learned a lot of tricks with hole placement to make the Low Wistles easier on the hand stretch. I'm surprised that using standard 1/2 inch PVC, would make the whistle sound so "flutey". My wife loves the sound and the dogs appreciate the mellow-er tone.

Anyway, shame on everyone for keeping this a secret... :)

Tom
Still whistleing and loving every minute of it....
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: How come no one mentioned making my own whistles?

Post by Walden »

tharker wrote:sigh....

When I humbly asked the opinions of this great community as to which whistle I should get next, I was not told about making my own. (Did I lay it on thick enough? :D )

Building whistles is fun, easy, and very inexpensive. I started out in copper and that went ok. But then, I've gone into PVC and it's been awesome! (80's flashback :boggle: ) The whistles sound great and they're costing me less than 5 bucks each and less than 1 hour of labor. I've learned a lot of tricks with hole placement to make the Low Wistles easier on the hand stretch. I'm surprised that using standard 1/2 inch PVC, would make the whistle sound so "flutey". My wife loves the sound and the dogs appreciate the mellow-er tone.

Tom
Trouble is, if we told you, and you made a great one, and started producing enough of them to sell, then everyone would start talking about how great your whistles are, and then the poor community of WhOA sufferers would wind up selling their kidneys to acquire one in each key, as well as in the low version, so we refrained from mentioning it, for the sake of the health of the community at large!
Reasonable person
Walden
tharker

Post by tharker »

I have some serious WhOA-age going on. This is what's going to save me from going WhOA broke! :)

Tom
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Fantastic, Tom! I've made a few hi D's that sound okay. My one Low D wasn't quite as successful. IMO, it's a wonderful feeling to be able to "make" music. When you decide to go commercial and are looking for someone to test drive your whistle, keep me in mind. :)

Congrats!
~Judy
tharker

Post by tharker »

I don't see my whistles coming anywhere close to going commercial. I enjoy the process and they are getting better with each one as I learn the tricks, subtleties, etc.

I'm just having fun and enjoying the variety of keys and materials. As long as I don't try to compare them to my two Silkstones, I'll be ok. :)

Tom
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Whistlemaking is serious business, best left to qualified professionals. Do not try this at home !!
:lol:

Actually, you are quite right-- experimenting with whistlemaking is a blast. Even if you do not get expert results, you will learn a LOT about our chosen instrument. Go for it..
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cyfiawnder

Re: How come no one mentioned making my own whistles?

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Walden wrote:
tharker wrote:sigh....

Tom
Trouble is, if we told you, and you made a great one, and started producing enough of them to sell, then everyone would start talking about how great your whistles are, and then the poor community of WhOA sufferers would wind up selling their kidneys to acquire one in each key, as well as in the low version, so we refrained from mentioning it, for the sake of the health of the community at large!
Give it a few and you will have that problem with my whistles. I enjoy making them out a PVC. although there are some problems with using pvc. The infamous bar fight for instance. A good stout Copper Low D will get you out the door no problem. You start thwacking people with a PVC whistle and you be able to play tunes every time you have gastric problems if you know what I mean.
-Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Ok, sounds interesting. So how do I get in on the act? What are the tricks to making one of these things -- say out of pvc? I'd be willing to give it a go, if someone would be kind enoungh to give me the big low-down. Eh?
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Well making your first whistle is A heck of a thing. Eveyone after that get's better until you reach your optimal design. There are a lot of whistle making directions on the web. Almost eveything that can be done on metal tube can be done to pvc. The exception being if you want a flat bladed whistle and you're making it out of pvc you need to heat up a piece of metal and use that to flatten the plastic. trying to flatten it with a hammer and a piece of square bar stock could take a while... The first step after you get the actual tubing is making the moughtpiece. This is where most of the magic is cast. I suggest cutting a 5-7" section of pvc and just try different fipple, blade, windway, window, designs until you find one that works for you. If you're making a low Whistle, and you use the thin wall 3/4" PVC the actual measuremnts are OD: .843 ID: .705 Wall: .069 (all in inches) For a low whistle I have found that a window that is 1/2" across and 1/4" wide works fairly well. For higher pitched whistles it is better to make the windows smaller in dimentions. That's why experimentation is an important step. After you found a good Head desing that you like, fabricate it as perfect as you can make it. Smooth off all the Tooling marks at or around the blade and windway because they can cause weird sounds to occur. A two piece whistle is actually bit easier to make because if you mess up drilling the tone holes you can just scrap the boy, and you don't have to make a whole head piece again. After you have the head made and the body affixed (those little $0.12 PVC fittings work good for that, they can be found near the same isle as the PVC tube itself ) Use an accurate Electronic Tuner that reads ALL notes and not just E,B,G,D,A,E. (like guitar tuners). One that shows how flat the note you're working on is, is always a plus. Make sure the whistle is warmed up to playing temperature. If it is cold when you tune it, it will be sharp when it's warm! Slowly cut very small pieces of Tubing off of the open end of the whistle until it is almost to the bell note (lowest tone the whistle will make: D for a Low D whistle) when you get real close and are still a little flat File the rest of the material off that needs to be removed. If you're making a Low D and you saw a little bit too much off, you can always make an Eb whistle... :) After you have the the bell note in tune fire up Flutomat http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/flutomat.html
and start figuring out hole placement. And most importantly, HAVE FUN! If you start getting frustrated go do something else. This is a great learning expieriance. Scientist have theorized that people who spend a few hours a day actually working with their hands and MAKING something are less likely to develope simptoms of depression.
-Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.

Post by Guest »

I always suggest people make their own. My best wind instrument is made from 1/2 sched 40 water pipe, a G flute it is in perfect tune! I could not buy better and have not found anything that I would trade if for.
tharker

Post by tharker »

Here's some pictures of my copper whistle to help visualize... I stole the idea of the channel cut to create the window and airway channel, from my Silkstone whistles. (Thanks Paul :) )

Tom

tharker

Post by tharker »

I agree with Cy. It's best to create a good mouthpiece and connect it with a body. That way you can mess up the holes and not have to start over.

Here a picture of my PVC Low D. Sorry that it's blurry.

Tom
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this post. Although I'm all thumbs and not exactly what you would call *handy* it sounds interesting, and I'll have to give it a go. Now, if I can just find the time...

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!