Clare whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clare whistles?

Post by buddhu »

Just when I thought my WhOA had run its course and that I was recovered, I see some Clare whistles on Bigwhistle.co.uk. Being a fan of cheap models I am tempted to get a D and a two-piece D (similar to my Doolin two-piece by the look of it).

Can anyone enlighten me with opinions on these instruments?

By the way, Bigwhistle.co.uk have always been brilliant to deal with. Fast service, plenty of contact and good prices. Totally recommended.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I've got one. The head wasn't bad. I worked on it to more, but it never really went anywhere. Like I've heard others say, it has a good clear tone. I've had better luck messing with feadogs and gens.
The body is pretty good. Plain brass, not very shiny, light. Fairly in tune. I put a green top gen head on it. I have it in my pocket at work usually.
Hey, you don't have one. Reason enough to get one.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I bought a Clare one-piece for less than four euros at MacNeill's on Capel Street in Dublin two years ago. It played pretty well, but I did the blue tac tweak on it and it played a little better. They're gentle blowing whistles (well, compared to a susato anyway) with decent intonation and a nice round tone and a bit of breathiness. I'd skip the two-piece, though, the regular one piece will fit in your pocket just fine. It's a nice whistle for not a lot of money and they seem to have far better consistency than Generation.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

The Clare one piece is just outstanding in my book. I have 3 that didn't need any tweaking right out of the box. The first one I bought played really well, but I tried to force the mouthpiece on a Feadog tube and broke it. It was a brass with red top. I then bought 2 more and they play really well nice and clear, good volume and in tune. They're brass with green tops. These whistles are as good as my Jerry Tweaked Generation. I like them if you hadn't guessed.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I hava a two-piece. High onvenience but I wasn't really very fond of the tone which I saw as harsh. I love it now that it has a Whitecap on it, but of course it really isn't a Clare anymore.
Darwin

Re: Clare whistles?

Post by Darwin »

buddhu wrote:similar to my Doolin two-piece by the look of it
Doolin...do they make banjos? :-?

I'm even more interested in the telescoping Laughing Whistles, and would have one by now if I hadn't read so many comments about their high cloggability.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have a one piece nickel Clare that I just love. It played well without any modification of any kind. It plays easily in both octaves and is fairly well balanced. It is in tune and in tune with itself halfway into the second octave then it gets a little flaky. It is one of my favorite whistles.

Ron
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a two piece I stick in my backpack and often play at lunch when I don't take my flute with me. I like it's tone, but my Cnat. is way sharp no matter how I finger it and it goes flat on the high A through C# but not when you hit high D again.

I still really like it, but in sessions the tuning has been too funky to work. I may have just had a bad bit of luck on this tube.

Eric
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I've been playing the Clare for a couple years...it's my favorite whistle to play. :)
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cheers, guys. Looks like I'll have to get a couple.

Ah, but after *that* I'll be able to stop. I'll be cured.

Er, although I think Bigwhistle have Jerry-tweaked Sweetones too and I always wanted to try one of those...
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

buddhu wrote:I am tempted to get a D and a two-piece D (similar to my Doolin two-piece by the look of it).
For some reason, I thought the Doolin and Clare were the same whistle.

Ah, it looks like they're very nearly the same:
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cf8-3-02/cf.html
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I just discovered to my happy surprise that my two piece Clare was still in my bike underseat bag. This is a very nice little whistle-- plays easily with a nice traditional sound.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

BoneQuint wrote:
buddhu wrote:I am tempted to get a D and a two-piece D (similar to my Doolin two-piece by the look of it).
For some reason, I thought the Doolin and Clare were the same whistle.

Ah, it looks like they're very nearly the same:
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cf8-3-02/cf.html
I'm hoping they're not identical. The brass on the Doolin tarnishes in a very unusual way, and the head was absolutely dreadful: badly finished and near unplayable - but a Feadog head soon sorted that out. Now it's quite a nice player. I'd heard that Clares were good quality, but if the Clare and Doolin heads were identical I'd have to disagree.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

I have a Clare which I love. The high notes are particularly easy on the ear, and it has an easy, gentle playability.

Very nice!! Try one!

Best, Adrian
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

The 2-piece Clare arrived today. Most definitely different to the Doolin. The Clare feels like a much better quality whistle. First impressions are very good - it plays easily with a nice tone. The head is well moulded and quite cleanly finished (unlike that of the Doolin which was dreadful and had to be replaced with a Feadog mkIII).

I'm not 100% convinced that it is as in tune as some of my other whistles, but I'll loosen the head and see what happens when I've fiddled a bit.

Pleased so far, and I'll certainly buy one each of the brass and nickel 1-piece Clares.

NB: Bigwhistle.co.uk were, as always, the perfect supplier. Even the bank holiday didn't slow them down.