OT Who will win on American Idol?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Pick the Winner on American Idol

Poll ended at Tue May 25, 2004 11:31 am

1. Fantasia
50%
2. Diana
50%

Total votes: 14

Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT Who will win on American Idol?

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Okay, enough of youse guys have admitted watching this in the past, so no weaseling now. Two Southern, rural teenagers with great voices, one a slightly better singer, the other a slightly better performer. The cute ones are gone, the freaky ones are gone and there's just one face-off left. So, in your opinions, who wins?
glauber

Post by glauber »

We all win! for being exposed to such artistry! :lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Fantasia. Diana is boring.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm predicting Diana will win, but I'm rooting for Fantasia.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

What are you talking about????????
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

Some religion thing.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

I thought this was the American Idol!
--Wellsprings--
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

See, I think Amerca has lapses in judgement every other week on AI. They fudged up the Jennifer vote and the Latoya vote. Last week they got it right so this week they'll vote for Diana to win.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Hopefully next year the producers of the show will figure out a more accurate/honest method for voting.
I too think Fantasia is a better singer but Diana has more fan support.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The conspiracy theorists can look at how producers did everything in their power to get Jasmine tossed. By making her go first, having her hair up, dressing her in shorts instead of a skirt or dress, having Paula select her judges choice song. If someone of a different race had gotten the same treatment, the race card would have been all over the news again.

I wished Jasmine would have made it and won, just so all the people that got so upset would squeal a bit louder. That is what is really funny to me. It is a singing competition, a TV show, where the winner is largely determined by kids spending two hours pressing speed-dial. Again, this is the same crowd that buys CDs so the method works. All the controversy is great for the show, and the producers LOVE the publicity.

Tamyra Grey from season one, shows that a runner-up may prove to be more successful than the top vote getter. She is already more successful than the second-place finalist, Justin. In a couple of years, Tamyra will eclipse Kelly, the winner of season one, both in terms of money earned and body of work.
+ Bill
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

I'm rooting for Fantasia. Diana is a cute kid and she has a great voice. But...as mentioned...she is boring...and dare I say it, a little too chubby for what would be considered the ideal American Idol. Lets face it, these are the days of Brittany and Christina. And it is the eternal American tragedy...Big guys can make it (Rueben)...chubby girls....???????

Simon has said right along it takes more than a good voice. It takes Presence and personality. Fantasia has these, Diana really doesn't. She is, without the voice, just another kind of cute 16 year old.

What gripes me is that two of the performers that got voted off before Jasmine or LaToya ...shouldn't have!!

I also agree about runners up and then some. Look at Rueben and Clay. Rueban may have won, but you hear a lot more about Clay. Every time I turn around it seems like he is on another Jay Leno or Letterman. He seems to be everywhere and you hardly hear anything about Rueben.

????????????? Will be interesting to see what happens! I'll be surprised if Diana wins...really..........
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Didn't see it myself, but heard it reported that Simon Cowell picked Diana to win back when there were still three.

S'funny, but I see it just the other way, that Fantasia is sweet but somewhat boring. LaToya was the most versatile, but she's gone. Even Diana, though, adapts to the 'style of the week'. Fantasia doesn't - with the sole exception of her Summertime (one of the top 2-3 performance this year IMHO), she takes every song and recasts it in HER style. I also think that as the competition wore on, Diana has grown well beyond her years and developed a real stage presence that, I think, anyway, is more capable of synching with an audience than is Fantasia's.

Sadly, I agree on one thing. If she's going to make it in the current United States of Anorexia, Diana's going to have to dump the baby fat. I truly don't understand the fascination with undernourished women. I gew up back when you hung onto a woman for the pleasure of it - not to keep her from blowing away in s moderate breeze!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

More hand wringing by the elites:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/23/arts/ ... 3AURT.html
Free registration required for NYT.
"...this year, several outstanding singers who would be an easy fit on commercial radio — most notably the elegant Ms. London and Jennifer Hudson, a Chicago native with a gospel style — have been voted off. In their places, off-pitch warblers have advanced. If the finalists of "American Idol" aren't talented, then what does that mean for the show's premise? And its future?"

Again, it is hilarious that the New York Times even cares about American Idol, much less devote the column inches that they did. The producers must LOVE the publicity.

Now for my rant: Warblers? Get real. If anything American Idol has spoiled the audiences and critics with such a high level of talent that truly exceptional singers are now described as "Warblers."

I believe that all 12 of the season three finalists can sing. They can't always deliver a new song (to them) at top level in every genre. However, in my opinion, all of them can sing at least as well as many commercially successful pop artists.

Again, for those with short memories and little perspective, I point to season one. In season one, the guy with blind parents made it to the top ten because of a sympathy vote. That guy would be hard pressed to be hired for weddings, much less record in a studio and probably would not have made top 100 this season. Justin made it to all the way to the finals primarily on his big hair, his height, and his appeal to young women. A couple of other women seemed to be in the final rounds mostly as eye-candy. In my opinion, all of this year's finalists can sing as well or better than Justin, and Jasmine, Jennifer, LaToya all can sing as well as Kelly the season one winner.

Looking at the results, contestants from a big city have a much harder time, this season, LaToya and Jennifer suffered from this burden. Local support is critical for the early rounds of single elimination in a crowded field. Big city folks are too jaded to pick up the phone and vote for their local contestant, but small town/state folks will.

All three seasons have a distinctively southern flavor, Kelly from Texas, Reuben from Alabama, Clay from North Carolina, and this season, Diana from Georgia, and Fantasia from North Carolina. I wonder if having an accent helps develop the singing voice. Or perhaps the cold air is bad for the pipes.

The bottom line is that it is working. There is a magic to the madness and the method.
+ Bill
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

You left my choice out of the poll...

..."who cares"
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

What's an American Idol?