Good loud tunable C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good loud tunable C whistle?

Post by glauber »

Who makes a good loud tunable C whistle?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Glenn Schultz.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The best C whistle I've ever played was a Copeland Nickel C (now owned by Jessie), in fact that was one of the best whistles in any key I've ever played, period. Don't know how consistent Mike and Jim are with those, but man, that thing blew my mind.

Loren
glauber

Post by glauber »

waitingame wrote:Glenn Schultz.
Thin or Water? I recall reading someone say that the Water Weasel C is not as good as the D and the E. The D Water Weasel is one of my favourite whistles.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Loren wrote:The best C whistle I've ever played was a Copeland Nickel C (now owned by Jessie), in fact that was one of the best whistles in any key I've ever played, period. Don't know how consistent Mike and Jim are with those, but man, that thing blew my mind.
Maybe Jessie wants to donate that to me. :party:
The only Copeland i've ever played was a low D sterling (belonging to Thom of thewhistleshop.com). It blew my mind too. I've decided that as soon as i win the lottery i'll buy some Copelands...
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

That particular Copeland is going with me to the grave, unless my kids turn out to be REALLY nice.
~JessieD
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

glauber wrote:
Thin or Water? I recall reading someone say that the Water Weasel C is not as good as the D and the E. The D Water Weasel is one of my favourite whistles.
That may have been I. I'm kind of hard on C whistles. I have a Schultz C in macassar ebony that is one of the finest whistles I've ever played. Sorry if I'm taking words out of Loren's mouth. :)

If TW's and Copelands area little dear, I'm quite impressed with my Harper non-tunable. If you're looking for a cheapie, you might want to try a Walton's nickel or Susato. I like the Walton's a lot, and it booms pretty nicely, while lots of people who are not at all fond of Susato D's like the C's.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Best C whistles I've played are Sindt, Burke black tip and Walton Golden Tone.

Oh, Jessie, could I just borrow that Copeland C so I can have Michael make an exact duplicate? :D

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Hey glaub! I'm with Loren this. I have a copeland brass C. and it is by the bestest of the bestest whistles of all in any key, imho. i love that whistle to death. get a copeland.
Brendan
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Just a question, Glauber--do you want this C whistle to play mostly in C (and F) Major or more in D (and G) minor?

In the latter case, there may be alternative choices.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Very good Cs IMO: Burke Al Pro, Sindt, Abell, Overton. Cs often tend to be a bit disappointing but not these ones.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

glauber wrote:
Thin for me but maybe only because I've no experience with Water Weasel. Something I'm going to have to put right!!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have both Water Weasel and Sindt C, and both are really nice whistles, although neither are especially loud.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

PhilO wrote:Oh, Jessie, could I just borrow that Copeland C so I can have Michael make an exact duplicate?
Sorry, but no. I have a no-lend policy with my instruments (unless I'm right there).

Interestingly, Jim Rementer has said that C is one of those finicky keys that doesn't always turn out right. I'm glad to hear that someone else has a winner.
~JessieD
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

glauber wrote:Thin or Water? I recall reading someone say that the Water Weasel C is not as good as the D and the E. The D Water Weasel is one of my favourite whistles.
The Water Weasel C isn't as good as its higher siblings. It doesn't suck, but it's definitely not in their class.

The Thin Weasel C, on the other hand, is one of the best whistles on the planet.

The difference is that the Water Weasel is forced to use the same PVC piping Glenn uses for the D, Eb, and E whistles, whereas for the Thin Weasel he can (and does) make it the exact ideal size for his whistle design in that key.