Which TV character should be bounced off a wall?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I think her TV name is Merisa on The OC - the tall thin blonde teen who's Ryan's girl friend. She's supposed to be beautiful, sexy and hot both on the show and in real life - we find her insipid, whimpy, and down right goofy. She's also the worst actress I've ever seen, but I guess that's standard for the soaps (even prime time).

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
rkottke

Dr. Kerry Weaver

Post by rkottke »

The Dr. Kerry Weaver, (Laura Innes), character on ER. In the real world, this character would be sitting in a Federal pen for the gross violations of Federal work related laws. The character left such a bad impression that I even leave the room when my spouse watches ER. But don't blame the actress, blame the writers!
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I'd like to put all the Teletubies in the microwave until they became one lovely multicolored ball, and then throw them against the wall. Hey.. I feel better now.
"You have my undivided attention"
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Barney without doubt should be bound over the mouth of a cannon and blown to pieces. Ditto to all the reality show freaks, what a bunch of idiots, the gene pool would be improved by their sudden and utter non-existence.

I don't watch a lot of TV anymore. Too busy practicing or playing sessions to bother with it.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think that a lot of people who have to stay home with their kids and can't go out to sessions that begin at 9pm (like the ones around here) end up watching the dreck more than they would like. Our Berkeley session is Sunday night at 9. The SF session starts earlier, but its in SF, which means you are at the whims of the traffic gods and all the misery that implies on a nice Sunday afternoon-evening.

That's what happens here at Weekender's Lair. By the time they are in bed or near it, you flip it on as you can't really start whistlin' at that hour without keepin them up. But, as you say, Pat, I have no use for reality shows and have never watched 'em. It's all murder and mayhem around here, LawnOrder and CSI, The Shield, Touching Evil and Monk. Mostly procedural crime dramas. The pretentious self-conscious sitcoms aren't even fun to watch. It's like all nervous laughter to me. They way the networks hype the comedies makes me not even want to laugh at them, especially the syrupy promos for season and series finales.

You know, there is one guy who does MOST of the voice-over promos for TV shows. His name is Don LaFontaine, i think. This guy wears an ascot, and takes limo rides from gig to gig. He has the serious voice, for disaster movies, the happy voice (who can forget his "The Loooove Boat!") and a bunch of other incarnations. I can barely stand to hear him anymore, he's so contrived. He was doing all the buildup for the Friends and Frasier finales....like a little demon in my ears.. aaaaagggghhhh...."I'm mad as hell and can't take it anymore.....""

Watched Jerry Orbach retire from LawnOrder last night. Very dignified. Put his stuff in a box and left, with few words. Very kewl. Rarely done, a script stuck to the nature of its character with consistency.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

I can't stand ANYTHING David Spade does!! I used to like to watch the Ritter show...but when they put him on there....well...at some point don't you grow up??? I liken him with teenage boy comic (term used VERY loosely) with Howard Stern.

The guy from ER that got his arm cut off by a helicopter, got a helicopter dumped on him at the beginning of last season...so I guess more people thought he was annoying.

All in all...much on TV annoys me...and yes, I'd rather be playing my whistle...or painting (am an artist too)....so I don't get too attached to the tv. I refused to watch ANY reality show too...what a waste of time!! I watch my own reality show...being outside in the Northwoods..where I can see bear, deer, hear birds, coyotes, all sorts of wildlife every single day. THAT is reality to me. (of course it takes me 1/2 to travel one way to the store)

Funny post!! It is interesting to find out how everyone feels about tv!

Nancy
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch (well I couldn't actually bounce a kid against the wall, maybe bounce whoever put him in the script).
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

brewerpaul wrote:Rush

FJohnSharp quote:
On man, I LOVE Rush. "Fly by Night", "Today's Tom Sawyer" "Closer to the Heart. I mean, sure, there's no whistle in them, but those are great songs.

Hmmmmm.........

When I read this I assumed brewerpaul ment the other Rush, Limbaugh that is........ :-?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
glauber

Post by glauber »

George W Bush
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

Dewey on Malcolm in the Middle could be screaming in terror but his eyes say "I'm bored." That's real talent right there.
I don't love Raymond too. Never got even a microscopic chuckle from that guy.
Kar

Post by Kar »

I basically ignore all TV (except for all the old Star Treks and M*A*S*H's I have on commercial-free tapes). But I would say I REALLY WANT REALITY TV, the entire phenomenon, to be shook and smacked until it goes away. I think it's stupid and dangerous.

Of course, I am singing to the choir here, because being musicians, y'all participate in REAL life (rather than watch so-called Real Life on a reality TV show) but I really think one of the worst aspects of American/Western culture is how passive we are in life. I mean, how embarassing is reality TV? It makes me wish I weren't part of the human race, if this is the best thing we can find to do with our time.

I watch movies when I really need chill-out down-time. At least those are crafted entertainment, in the tradition of theater.

Sorry for going off! Oh, and I like David Caruso. But I've only seen his movies.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

My vote is for Timmy from the Lassie tv show. I remember thinking when I was 8 years old that if that kid fell down just one more well that I'd slit my wrists!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lassie (Scratching at the screen door): Hmm - Hmmm!

Timmy's Mom: Lassie! What's the matter, girl?!

Lassie: Hmmmm???

Timmy's Mom: Did something happen to Timmy?

Lassie (Nodding her head): Mmm - Hmmmm!

Timmy's Mom: Was he attacked by a cougar?

Lassie (Shaking her head): Mmmm - Mmmm!

Timmy's Mom: Did he fall down the well again?

Lassie (Jumping with excitement): Bark! Bark!

Timmy's Mom: Take me to Timmy, Lassie!

Lassie (Turns mid-jump, and runs off down the country road)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but that family should have realized Lassie was a jinx. People near that dog were always getting hurt!

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

The annoyying little bald doctor on ER was named Romano. I thought it was briefly hilarious when, on a show a few weeks after they killed him off, the hospital named it's Women's Sexuality Treatment center after him.

I find it interesting that I asked for characters and several people have mentioned real personas (Bush, Limbaugh, Stern, etc.) I suppose thats appropriate. I suspect that they're playing roles even in real life.
janice

Post by janice »

I absolutely hate and despise Peggy Hill...who would think a cartoon character could make you cringe so much?

And Jeff Probst has just got to die....
I once saw him on one of those celebrity Jeopardy episodes (you know, the ones where they really dumb down the answers so the celebrities don't look like total idiots?), and I think he actually ended up with negative points.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Pretty much the entire prime time lineup. They all suck. I abhor "reality" shows (an oxymoron if I ever heard one); there hasn't been a really good sitcom since <i>The Nanny</i> ended and now that <i>Frasier</i> is over, there really aren't any. Oh and I hate those design shows too...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>