Is This a Scam?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Black Bear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is This a Scam?

Post by Black Bear »

I hate to be skeptical, but I just got what seems to be a suspect offer to purchase an instrument from a supposed Swedish broker who sent the message below. Sounds fishy to me...any thoughts?

i will go about payment by instructing my client in the states to issue you a certified bank check of $5,000 and this should take care of all expences in this transaction, what you will do once you have recieved it is to cash it, deduct your own money($1500) and the wiring charges and wire the balance to my international shipping agent through Western Union Transfer, once he recieves the balance will come over to your location the very next day for pick up, now the money wired to the shipper is his fees for his services, transportation to your location and back to me, also for all charges that may arise along this transaction cos i will want it to be delivered to me safe and sound without problems, i shall send you my shipper address as soon as i contact him, al l i need of you now is to mail me your full name and contact address as well as phone number

John
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

P.T. Barnum is in the house......
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sounds a little strange but I can't say. :boggle:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Typical fraudulent cashier's check scam. You receive check, deposit, bank claims it clears, you send balance to scammer, bank eventually catches on in about 2 weeks to bad deposit, you're out good money. Western Union in foreign countries is often involved, as there appears to be poor security or "inside" help to the scammer.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Black Bear

Post by Black Bear »

Thanks everyone, that's what I suspected.

John
RedFox
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by RedFox »

It is a scam. Beware everyone of these scams. They usually originate in Ghana or Nigeria. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!
timgreenwood

Post by timgreenwood »

RedFox wrote:It is a scam. Beware everyone of these scams. They usually originate in Ghana or Nigeria. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!
\\

very true...my mother just got offered $4m...the legacy of the dying wife of an arab oil millionaire...a scam, needless to say, which originated in...(drumroll) Nigeria!
djm

Post by djm »

I'm not so sure. This one is from Sweden. What if the "shipping agent" is a tall blond Scandinavian beauty and she shows up at your door. Wouldn't you feel obliged to give her the money anyway. :D

djm
andrew

Post by andrew »

You should only give the blonde Swede a small deposit .
Björn

Post by Björn »

Sounds dodgy. A Swedish scammer probably wouldn´t write English that well.
KateG

Post by KateG »

As said above, it's a scam. Forward the message to the Federal Trade Commission at uce@ftc.gov, they collect such things....and theoretically go after the perpetrators (at least when the full moon falls on Friday the 13th in a leap year :D )
David Levine

Andrew, be nice

Post by David Levine »

Andrew, be nice.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I was almost on a jury for a Nigerian scam case a few months ago. I was looking forward to it; after getting the email for years I wanted to see what the folks were like, it was federal jury so they gave you $60 a day, plus I really could have used the break from work.

Alas, I wasn't picked.

Eddie
andrew

Post by andrew »

I am always nice to beautiful blonde Swedish delivery girls , David ! (If nobody else ! )
Hip O'Potamus

Scam

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

This scam is frequently used on AutoTrader.com. I suppose the perpetrators are looking for more fertile ground.