OT: H.P. Lovecraft roll call

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

OT: H.P. Lovecraft roll call

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I've seen a few folks with Lovecraftian usernames. Identify yourselves lest you fear Pickman's ghouls find you and feast on your flesh.

Cheers,
Aaron
Last edited by AaronMalcomb on Sun May 16, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Even worse,they might turn up at your front door!! (As H.P. would write:"There's a shuffling sound..,the door handle is being grasped by some unseen horror..,the door is opening....It's something too horrible to describe!..........."
"To horrible to describe indeed! Did he really write of people feverishly scribbling in their journals to the bitter (bitten?)end,or is that just a parody of his alleged style?
'Fortean Times' mag. is a 'Lovecraft special'this month,though I haven't read it yet.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You might try the whistle board...I know, for instance, that both Azathoth and Joseph Curwen hang around over there from time to time (and from space to space?)

Just be careful not to play anything in ye Descending Node, or Joseph in particular will likely go all to pieces on you. :twisted:

--James
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I don't have a Lovecraftian username, but I have been tempted on several occasions to buy one of <a href="http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... ">these</a>.

Eddie
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron is the little-known subaltern to Cthulhu, who gets all the press.

You will find the thralls of Cthulhu in the Pipers' Forum.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

beowulf573 wrote:I don't have a Lovecraftian username, but I have been tempted on several occasions to buy one of <a href="http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... ">these</a>.
I have the Christmas plush Cthulhu with the Santa hat and the ornaments on His tentacles. We cover several bases, between the Christmas tree, the menorah, the Samoan totem and Cthulhu.

I want to replace the sticker from my alma mater with a Miskatonic sticker, too, but several places are out of the "My money and my sanity go to Miskatonic University" sticker.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kevin m.

Bedtime footwear of Horror!!!

Post by kevin m. »

Cthulhu slippers!-does Cthulhu wear slippers?,if so,how many pairs?
British Sci-Fi author,historian and critic,Brian W. Aldiss said that the Lovecraftian 'spawn' had names that sounded like anagrams of breakfast cereals!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I've seen Azathoth lurking around here. That is probably the most appropriate Lovecraft loaner what with the "infernal flute music" that is associated with Azathoth... the Lovecraft creature, not the C&Fer although his neighbors may have other things to say.

It's also funny about the journaler writing up until the last possible moment. It's pretty common for the era of Lovecraft's inspiration. Maupassant did the same thing in Le Horla. The narrator is so paralized with fear but not too paralized to finish his journal entry. "Hold on, fiend of Nyarlathotep. Let me check that all of my "t"s are crossed and "i"s are dotted before you eviscerate me." Just like horror movies were frightening for one generation, they are amusing and implausible for the following.

Cheers,
Aaron
kevin m.

Schooldays,schooldays....

Post by kevin m. »

We had a teacher at school who told us a few Maupassant short stories,including 'The Horla',apparently from memory-unless he had the book hidden behind the desk!-and very entertaining they were too.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

A timely post, Neil Gaiman just put up his Hugo nominated Mythos/Sherlock Holmes crossover short story on his website:

http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/StudyinEmerald.asp

A good read. I'd going to pick up the collection it's from once it's available in paperback.

Eddie
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

Actually my playing can be pretty infernal at times (literally infernal since I'm now trying to get some sounds out of my brand new Low Whistle). :devil:

I must 'fess up though to being rather someone who is bewitched by Lovecraft's incredible gift for names rather than being an expert on his writings. And Azathoth: well I often use Nyarlathotep as a moniker but I don't think the Black Pharaoh was especially musical... :-?

I always keep intending to finish reading Lovecraft but somehow never get around to it. Still, at least that means I don't keep losing Sanity Points (hello Call of Cthulhu players!).

And now back to more pointless noodling!!
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

beowulf573 wrote:I don't have a Lovecraftian username, but I have been tempted on several occasions to buy one of <a href="http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... ">these</a>.
Oh.
My.
Whatever the Lovecraftian Term Might Be for Supreme Deity.
;-)