Complete n00b with some questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kuranes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Complete n00b with some questions

Post by Kuranes »

I have a few questions.

I currently don't know how to play the flute at all, but someone suggested that a break from the whistle might help me get back on track with it, so I figured I'd ask some advice here.

All I have right now in the way of flutes is the plastic Yamaha fife. I read somewhere that there was a book that acted as an introduction to the flute using this instrument, but I can't find any links on it. The store that sold it to me even screwed me on the fingering chart, so I have no idea how to finger it, even if I could cause it to make any noise. Are there some good links to getting the embrocure (?sp) down for this instrument? I'm sure I can dig the fingering chart up on the mess that is Yamaha's web site.

The second question is that I have a metre or so of 1" CPVC pipe in the garage (it was purchased to make a sealed case for a wooden whistle), and I was trying to find some links to making a 4-hole oriental-style flute with it (kind of like the one pictured here but obviously not as fancy). I can find lots of math for making 6 hole flutes, but very little for 4 hole flutes.

Relating to that, all the PVC flutes I've seen for sale have the air hole right at one end of it -- but the bamboo flute in that link has the air hole in the middle of the body. Is there a difference? How does that work?

Thanks, and I hope I can learn something here :)
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I think they had one of those Romy Benton bass flutes at Dusty Strings... that was a wacky flute. The blowhole placement on the flute you linked to is pretty unique. On most other flutes it is towards the end. I'm looking forward to any replies that can give more information about your question as well as your fife book.

Cheers,
Aaron
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The picture that you linked to shows a flute made out of bamboo.
Not being an expert please feel free to rip my post to shreds.

Bamboo has sections that close off the “tube” of the grass. If you look
closely you will see that the area of the flute above the embrasure is one
of these sections. Unlike the Ralph Sweet walking stick flutes, (there
are others) because this is made of one-piece bamboo (and there fore
have to burn through the dividers) it is easier to make the flute near the
bottom.
PVC (or whatever) has no such restraints. The end plug is in the same
location. The only difference is how much wood (or grass as in bamboo)
is beyond it. If you have a vent hole (as in the picture of Ralph’s walking
sticks) you can like wise extend the other end.

If any one else can inform me better Please call me an idiot and prove me wrong.

Thank you,
Czad
glauber

Re: Complete n00b with some questions

Post by glauber »

Kuranes wrote:Relating to that, all the PVC flutes I've seen for sale have the air hole right at one end of it -- but the bamboo flute in that link has the air hole in the middle of the body. Is there a difference? How does that work?
The flute you point to is a "walking staff" flute. Only part of the long stick functions as a flute. The blowhole is probably near the end of the part the functions as flute.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

You may have seen a Chinese bamboo flute (Dizi or D'Tzu)...the hole between the embouchure hole and the finger holes is normally covered with a thin membrane made of rice paper that adds a buzz to the flute's sound.
Micah
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

I've got the fingering chart. Shoot me your e-mail address and I'll send a file.

Jack
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

As a follow-up to micah's post:

Not only that, but the embouchure hole itself is not as far 'left' as it is on a normal irish or Böhm flute.

Here's a schematic of a Di-Zi from the website of the guy who sold me mine (he's also to be recommended, I'm following his tutorials at the moment):

http://www.2measures.com/diziprog.html

If one imagines the flute as being divided into four quarter lengths, the embouchure hole is right at the end of the first quarter of the flute's length, not in the middle of this section as one sees on (most) western flutes.

This does make the flute rather long. My Di-Zi in G is 67 cm, which makes finding a flute case tricky... The sound is wonderful though, esp. with the membrane correctly pasted (and it's not really a "buzz" that it adds, unless it's pasted too loosely :D). Slow airs in G are a treat on this thing, when I'm taking a break from Chinese stuff.