Whistles in Scottish history?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hi, kids.

It's quite common to hear whistles in Scottish music today (and I must say, a generation high G sounds GREAT with shuttle pipes). So, I'm wondering if anyone knows when whistles first became common in this genre.

I'm going to be doing a talk on Scottish history (late 17-early 1800's)in a couple weeks, and I want to keep it as historically accurate as possible, but I don't think I'm going to be able to master the highland pipes by then. :lol: Would I be totally out of line historically to play a couple tunes on the whistle?

Tom
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-02-25 16:43, WyoBadger wrote:
Hi, kids. ...
... but I don't think I'm going to be able to master the highland pipes by then. :lol: Would I be totally out of line historically to play a couple tunes on the whistle?

Tom
Hmm....
A fine Scot,
soon to be director of a marching band ...
hasn't mastered the pipes?

Tom, next you'll be tellin' us you can't make hagus...

Sorry no help with Scottish Whistle Lore; but I couldn't resist the gentle gibe.

Congratulations Mr. Band.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-02-25 17:24 ]</font>
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

L.E. McCullough's book, <i>The Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tutor</i>, indicates that whistles made of bone and other materials exist which are of great antiquity. Representations of whistles carved in stone are cited in that work which date to the 9th century. I admit that most of what he has to say about tinwhistles has to do with Irish music, but he also writes in more general terms:

"Flageolets enjoyed their peak of popularity in Europe during the Renaissance and Baroque epochs and had a revival in France and England during the late 18th and early 19th centuries."

England isn't Scotland, of course, but English influence in Scotland during that period would have been quite strong because of Bonnie Prince Charlie's debacle at Culloden Moor, in April of 1746.

There are certainly those who can give you a better opinion than mine, but I don't think you'd be far wrong to play a few tunes on the tinwhistle. The Clarke Original would be my choice, because even though its design dates from 1843 I expect it is closer to whistles of earlier make than just about anything else available today.

Neil Dickey

Edited to correct a spelling error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ndjr on 2002-02-26 01:36 ]</font>
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hi, guys!

Thanks for the info, Neil. I might just get away with it...

And Lee... :lol: No, I don't play the pipes or make haggis (which, in my opinion, tastes like really bad meatloaf--I'd have to be pretty hungry), but I now own a kilt and I'm pretty darn good with trout, venison, and oatmeal...

Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Tom
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2002-02-26 09:26, WyoBadger wrote:
Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Tom
Yes,
When wearing kilt, beware of storms :smile:
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

I meant on the Scottish whistle, not the kilt, the haggis, or my prowess with venison! :lol:

Tom
Mal

Post by Mal »

I think you should make it clear to your audience that you know of no evidence that the whistle or flageolet was played in Scotland during the time period you are discussing, but that lack of evidence is not proof of absence. Still, you might point out, that the modern penny whistle was developed in England only 150 years ago.

You should also only play tunes that you can substantiate were popular in Scotland during the period. This should not be too difficult to do, and you will find that most can be played on a whistle.

It is important, in my opinion anyway, to be historically accurate in these matters wherever possible, and to acknowledge when one cannot be sure and is speculating. Otherwise what you have said will be repeated by some of your audience passed on by others to become "common knowledge". and then when repeated often enough (and particularly in print!) as "tradition" and ultimately,as "undisputed fact".

This has happened too often to Scottish cultural history in the past two centuries. Let's not add, even inadvertently to the muddied waters.

Calum Piob
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

If you've got two weeks, maybe you could learn them on a practice chanter.

Some people actually get rather loud notes out of them - all I ever managed was a musical buzz.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Glengary
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Glengary »

Wyo:

The web site below has a book and Cd on Scottish whistle music is you're interested.

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/bookfram.htm

Cheers.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Dear Group

In my research ramblings I have come across many Scottish references to whistles, but the oldest verified document I know of is <b>"The Comlaynt of Scotland" of 1549</b>,in which are enumerated the musical instruments of the time played by Shepherds. Part of it reads...

<i>"The fyrst hed ane drone bagpipe

The nyxt hed ane pipe maid of ane bleddir and of ane reid.(bladder pipe)

The third playit on ane trump.(trumpet)

The feyerd on ane cornepipe.(cornmuse)

The fyft playit on ane pipe maid of ane gait horne.(Gemshorn)

the sext playit on ane recordar

The sevint playit on ane fiddil

The last playit on ane</i> <b>quhissil</b>"

There be a BEEF version o'the <b>Haggis</b> mixt wi' sage stuffin' that i' delicious!!!
Nuff sayid!
Thomas Hastay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thomas-Hastay on 2002-02-27 15:33 ]</font>
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

Thomas, that's really interesting! Thanks! I wonder if they had a Departmente of Misse Mierae MacSorvinoe? :lol:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Tom