Whistle Rack/Stand storage ideas?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kuranes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Rack/Stand storage ideas?

Post by Kuranes »

I've been having the urge to build a rack for my whistles (now that I'm getting more non-cheapie whistles), and I'm looking for ideas on what a whistle stand/rack should look like.

I hereby give permission to people to show off thier whistle collections and racks in this thread... ;)
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yeah, more pictures of racks, please!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

Baby bottle dryer.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:Yeah, more pictures of racks, please!
Amar posted a picture of a nice rack in the Cutie Pie thread! :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I got dowels of different diameters for different bore sizes (everything from high-G to low-C; 3/8" to 7/8" dowels) and got a piece of oak shelving. Laid out a grid of positions and drilled holes. For the smaller dowel sizes, high-speed bits make perfect holes; you don't even need any glue. The bigger sizes needed spade bits, so I had to glue most of those in.

It's not pretty, but it's functional. One of these years I'm going to make something a little fancier so that I can display wooden whistles and flutes in a humidified case, but that'll be awhile.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
pizak

Racks

Post by pizak »

I spent a bit of effort making a wall mounted rack - for about 8 whistles - its got dowel pegs and such like:

Then I saw this approach...

The second approach is definitely easier - more flexible - and a great excuse to buy Bushmills, Balvenie, or other great whiskies that come in tins :-)

Paul
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

For small whistles, you can buy a thread rack at Wal Mart which works really well. I have mine mounted on the wall in my shop for whistles in progress, but they stand on a table too. They used to be wood, but I think the newer ones are plastic.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The first thing I thought of when I heard this thread was imagining an whistle rack in the back window of a pickup truck.

I actually thought making whistle cases that would be made of PVC pipe lined with a protective foam and call them "Whistle Silos" (A play on the whistles of mass destruction joke). These silos could be painted or dyed and a wood rack could be fabricated as a housing for several whistle silos.
The idea is that when you go to a session, you just pull the "Whistle Silo" out of the rack and you're out the door with still protecting the whistle.

Another type of rack out be something with differnet wood dowels that the whistles are sat on. A carousel underneath to rotate it around to the whistle that you want to access.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Here's a quick and easy idea that both protects the whistles and keeps them in a compact area.

Find a round container several inches in diameter. You could use a coffee can, a flower pot, whatever. I use a crock that probably originally came with a kitchy group of kitcjen utensils, since it says "Kitchen" on the side (I paid the Goodwill a quarter for it). Then get 3-4 golf club tubes at a sporting goods store (they're used in golf bags to keep the clubs separate). About 89 cents each. Cut the tubes into varying lengths of 7-12 inches using a sharp khife or kitchen shears. Line the bottom of the container with paper towels or old cloth (to absorb moisture) and then place the tube sections in it. I put taller sections to the rear, smaller ones to the front.

Then put your whistles in the tubes. They'll hold anything from a high G to a low D in a compact but readily accessible display.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You can buy a baby bottle drying rack(as Cran suggested).

While it's not something you'd want in your living room , it is a great drying rack for washed whistles or dry whistles.

The one I have also folds up for storage.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Here's what I used up until a couple of days ago.

Here's what I'm using now:

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sasschool// ... lCase.html

I love coming up with new ways to do things.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

How about Any of the racks from this Page?? http://www.gungfu.com/cart-htm/weapons_ ... stands.htm
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
eric reiswig

Post by eric reiswig »

I used to keep my whistles in a basket on the floor, but my music room is filling up fast, and horizontal surfaces are at a premium. :lol:

I "racked" my brain designing a wall-mounted rack that would be versatile enough to hold everything from a high G whistle to a concert flute / tenor rec*rder, and finally came up with a hanging cloth thing ... i don't really know what to call it. But it's perfect for my needs.

(The thing on the left is my Swanson Tonette, and a cheezy little ocarina.)

Be seeing you,

eric.
Robert G

I would like to post a picture of my whistle rack...

Post by Robert G »

but I need a URL to upload it to first. Can anyone help with this?
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Re: I would like to post a picture of my whistle rack...

Post by chattiekathy »

Robert G wrote:but I need a URL to upload it to first. Can anyone help with this?
Try this: http://photobucket.com/

It's free and easy to use.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~